You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

4k BH - flop top set but not happy

edited August 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I took one shot at the flop, and then after that closed down on the basis that I would only be called by hands that were beating me. Should I have bet the flop harder to charge potential draws and 2pr hands or is this line OK.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancelarryladSmall blind 125.00125.0012642.50rossybee16Big blind 250.00375.005312.00 Your hole cardsJJ   GELDYRaise 500.00875.007990.00niblick9Fold    pigsbodyFold    alandutchFold    larryladCall 375.001250.0012267.50rossybee16Call 250.001500.005062.00Flop  9J10   larryladCheck    rossybee16Check    GELDYBet 750.002250.007240.00larryladCall 750.003000.0011517.50rossybee16Call 750.003750.004312.00Turn  Q   larryladCheck    rossybee16Check    GELDYCheck    River  A   larryladBet 1875.005625.009642.50rossybee16Call 1875.007500.002437.00GELDYFold   

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Ergh horrible flop for a set, disgusting turn for a set and then the river is just taking the mick! Yeah good fold!

Quick question if the river is a 9 or a 10 arte you value shoving here if the river goes check check or if it plays the way it did bet call? 
  • edited August 2013
    I think this is a good board for the set, theres a very good chance someone else has hit this hard and has a pair & draw or 2pair type hand, which they will often overvalue. We also have good equity against any made hand that currently has us beat.

If I had something like 44 or AK here I'm just check/folding 100%. Because I expect my cbet to get raised or called a very high % of the time.

For that reason I bet quite a lot bigger, I think we'd be very ul to bet and take it down given how hard that flop smacks their ranges.

Get some value :D

Turn check back is fine, and river is an easy fold.

Just bigger on the flop, somewhere around 1.2k and it's wp!
  • edited August 2013
    i really don't think you could have done anything else here, obviously when flopping a set this is the worst way you can do it (three running cards) as you may already be behind, saying that you have to bet on suck a drawy board but with two callers you have to fear the worst, when the queen comes you know you are beat 99% of the time here but you were lucky that after your check the two opponants did so as well giving you a free chance to house up, the fold on the river is correct even though folding sets is hard, and if you had hit your house on the river i would have thought a push from yourself would have been paid off by at least one of your opponants
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: 4k BH - flop top set but not happy:
    I think this is a good board for the set, theres a very good chance someone else has hit this hard and has a pair & draw or 2pair type hand, which they will often overvalue. We also have good equity against any made hand that currently has us beat. If I had something like 44 or AK here I'm just check/folding 100%. Because I expect my cbet to get raised or called a very high % of the time. For that reason I bet quite a lot bigger, I think we'd be very ul to bet and take it down given how hard that flop smacks their ranges. Get some value :D Turn check back is fine, and river is an easy fold. Just bigger on the flop, somewhere around 1.2k and it's wp!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1 to all of this.
  • edited August 2013
    Hmmm... turn card is such a killjoy.  I bet bigger on the flop - probably abot 1.1k.  Then probably go into C/F mode on turn and river depending on oppo and action before.
  • edited August 2013
    If there is only one bet on the river is there a case for a sigh call,  or are we always dead here. 
  • edited August 2013
    Bet flop bigger, Gii if raised. Missing loads of value by betting small here

Rest is fine
  • edited August 2013
    yeah flop is a leak. Adjust bet sizing based on no. of opponents and flop texture. Dont just bet 1/2 pot everytime. Sometimes i bet full pot here vs 2 opponents.
  • edited August 2013
    Aye, bet bigger on flop.

Other than that its just a terrible run out for you.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: 4k BH - flop top set but not happy:
    yeah flop is a leak. Adjust bet sizing based on no. of opponents and flop texture. Dont just bet 1/2 pot everytime. Sometimes i bet full pot here vs 2 opponents.
    Posted by offshoot
    ty for this insight