You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

berating bad play/ players

I feel like I need to make a post about this, because so many players dont seem to think about this and it damages our wonderful game!

Please don't berate bad players or bad play, no matter how frustrating it is when it happens, no matter how much you want to tell them how much of an idiot they are and how bad their play was... here is why:

- Bad players are where all the money comes from... we want as many fishy players as possible dont we??
- Bad players are normally recreational players, playing for fun. Do you think they will find it fun if they get berated all the time?

The more bad play is berated, the less bad players will want to play and the tougher the game will become to beat. If anything, they should be encouraged! If a player calls off their entire stack on a gutshot and hits it, you should be glad there are players around that make -ev moves like that, even if it didnt work out for you this time.

I have to admit that I have done it in the past too, I'm not proud of it - but here is what I have found helps me to resist the urge to type profanities in a fit of rage against the stupid fish that got lucky...

-make a note on the player. sometimes it helps to type something, even if not in the chatbox.

-type "nh" in the chatbox, even if it really wasn't - encouraging the bad play

-feel happy that not only am i playing against a fish, but I have a note on him so that next time I play him and have forgotten all about it I can take advantage of their fishy tendancies.

DONT TAP ON THE FISHBOWL! be nice, and make them feel welcome so they can enjoy therselves while we take their money, and then come back for more :D   ...Win- Win!

Comments

• edited August 2013
    i agree with every word you said so why cant i keep my gob shut against fish.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: berating bad play/ players:
    Posted by THEROCK573

lol...snap
  • edited August 2013
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Try not thinking about them as fish. That might make it easier to avoid berating them. lol

Seriously, I'd think of them as Mike* from up the road. Nice guy but a bit dim. I don't like to shout at Mike when he does something silly, because I know it's coming.

*There is no Mike. It's just an example.
  • edited August 2013
    Posted by THEROCK573

cos you like tapping on the fishbowl! feels good to get your own back to get your own back by showing ev1 how dumb they are... just remember, its a -EV move... poker is all about making the most +EV decisions, as many times as possible.

+ I like Mike, and i want him to keep playing :D

• edited August 2013
    When I used to us the chat function, the players berating the fish were often prime for tilting with a few of my choice comments.

Using the chat function in this way not only educates the bad players, but shows your own mental weakness.
  • edited August 2013

this is a very good post you had did and reading it make it easy to relise how much importance they are if we going to get the chips.
    I myself have did a lot of bragging in this forum when really I should consider it a hand that makes the bad players will do the poor calls more often.

• edited August 2013
    never understood why people would berate bad play makes no sense ....had someone on the table not so long ago hit his gutshot on river, then he typed in " had to go for it mate didn`t i ? "  my reply was "no problem ofcourse you did ,well played " knowing full well that if i reload i would probably get my money back with interest , which i did ...but then a bit later he outdrew someone else ,who then criticised his play resulting in him leaving the table!!