You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!
Options

Home Help Needed!

edited February 2014 in The Rail
Don't worry, I don't need anyone to wipe my backside, no yet anyway......

But came back off holiday today to a very soggy bathroom floor and soggy kitchen ceiling underneath.

Called a plumber out, turns out there was a crack in the cistern on the toilet than caused the leak. The crack wasn't near any of the fittings it was in the middle of the china, so clearly a fault with product.

We bought the toilet in December from Wickes, so we rang them to tell them what happened. Turns out the bathroom custome service are not back in work until Monday so they will call us then.

It looks like we need a new bathroom floor and possibly the kitchen ceiling repaired.

As it stands, I'm going to insist on them paying for all the repairs. as it's their faulty product that caused the damage.

Just posting to see if anyone else knows my rights in this situation? And anyone had similar experiences?

Thnx.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2013
    In Response to Home Help Needed!:
    Don't worry, I don't need anyone to wipe my backside, no yet anyway...... But came back off holiday today to a very soggy bathroom floor and soggy kitchen ceiling underneath. Called a plumber out, turns out there was a crack in the cistern on the toilet than caused the leak. The crack wasn't near any of the fittings it was in the middle of the china, so clearly a fault with product. We bought the toilet in December from Wickes, so we rang them to tell them what happened. Turns out the bathroom custome service are not back in work until Monday so they will call us then. It looks like we need a new bathroom floor and possibly the kitchen ceiling repaired. As it stands, I'm going to insist on them paying for all the repairs. as it's their faulty product that caused the damage. Just posting to see if anyone else knows my rights in this situation? And anyone had similar experiences? Thnx.
    Posted by splashies
    Hi splashies,i am not to sure on this,but you may have to claim on your house hold insurance,Wickes may say who fitted your suite is in the wrong,
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    if WICKES GOT SOMEONE IN TO FIT IT FOR YOU THEN YOU SURE HAVE A CLAIM
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    MY HUSBAND IS AN ELECTRICIAN,NOW IF HE CAME TO YOUR HOUSE AND FITTED 2 VERY POSH LIGHTS TO YOUR LOUNGE WALL AND BROKE ONE THEN HIS PUBLIC LIABILITY WOULD PAY FOR THE COST,HOPE THIS HELPS
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for posting Paige.

We bought the toilet ourselves from Wickes and an independant plumber fitted it. 

The plumber that came today said that it's most likely a fault with the product as the crack isn't near any of the screws it's in the middle of the china.

So from my P.O.V it's not our fault, it's not the plumber that installed it at fault. It's a problem with the their product that has caused probably £100's pounds worth of damage.

Yeh we can claim on insurance if need be, but obv that costs us still. 

You never know, Wickes may just agree to pay the costs, I'll find out on Monday.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    so sorry splashies,because you used an independent plumber YOU STAND NO CHANCE AGAINST WICKES
  • Options
    edited August 2013

SPLASHIES,YOU NEED TO FIND OUT IF YOUR INDEPENDENT PLUMBER,HAS PUBLIC, LIABILITY

• Options
    edited August 2013
    i do hope it works out for you,good luck and let me no how you get on regards paige
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Home Help Needed!:
    SPLASHIES,YOU NEED TO FIND OUT IF YOUR INDEPENDENT PLUMBER,HAS PUBLIC, LIABILITY
    Posted by paige55
    Not when the fault isn't due to the installation. The trouble may come though in trying to prove it was faulty before it was fitted.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Dont say it was a polish plumber jeeeez paige will say its your own fault ha.

On a serious note itl be very hard to get wickes to play up as it was awhile ago you bought it from them
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Were there many splashes splashies when you 1st walked back into the bathroom on you return?
    Sorry, just trying to inject some humour to lighten the mood.

On a serious note, I personally think you have got no chance with the supplier and you will end up going through your house insurers. I had similar with a split boiler causing loads of damage. OFC, it was never the product, fitter or supplier's fault :( . I had to invest in a new boiler while the insurance company paid for the damage. If you only have to buy a new toilet.....it will be a result! 

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Were there many splashes splashies when you 1st walked back into the bathroom on you return? Sorry, just trying to inject some humour to lighten the mood. On a serious note, I personally think you have got no chance with the supplier and you will end up going through your house insurers. I had similar with a split boiler causing loads of damage. OFC, it was never the product, fitter or supplier's fault :( . I had to invest in a new boiler while the insurance company paid for the damage. If you only have to buy a new toilet.....it will be a result! 
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Well the local Wickes has replaced the cistern free of charge, but obv now need to pay a plumber to install it.

Still waiting for their head office to get back to me regarding the damage caused.

The fact they've replaced the cistern free indicates to me that they accept responsibility. Ask the customer service bloke in-store what he thought head office would say. He didn't really want to comment, but said he'd like to think they accept some sort of responsibility for the damage.

Time will tell, thnx for the replies.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    all  sounds abit soggy to me opps (dodgy)

1) how do the supplier no the toilet was fitted

2) if you have told them it was fitted then when was it fitted

3)  why hadnt you noticed the problem when it was fitted a competent plumber would of checked thier work and you would of noticed this type of problem
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Ok so we have received an initial phonecall from Wickes.

They'd like us to get a quote for the damage and send it in writing to them.

They really didn't say anymore than that, but I guess it's a good sign that they want us to forward a quote to them.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Ok so we have received an intial phonecall from Wickes. They'd like us to get a quote for the damage and send it in writing to them. They really didn't say anymore than that, but I guess it's a good sign that they want us to forward a quote to them .
    Posted by splashies
    Yeah this is a good sign. I doubt they would ask for this otherwise as they wouldn't want to admit responsibility.

• Options
    edited August 2013
     Hi Splashies, any decent plumber worth his(her) salt will use a rubber washer or ptfe tape around the screws fixing the cistern . Not saying that this were the fault but you will know he or she's worth if he /she uses this method. Sorry to hear of the damage and hope its fixed with the minimal cost to you. Yours Booboo.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Home Help Needed! : Yeah this is a good sign. I doubt they would ask for this otherwise as they wouldn't want to admit responsibility.
    Posted by AcidMan27[/QUOTE HI SPLASHIES, THIS SOUNDS VERY GOOD,THERE MAY HAVE BEEN A RECALL ON THE PRODUCT AND YOU MAY NOT HAVE KNOWN,
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Ring the manufacturers to see if there has been a faulty batch ?

OR

Have a look around the DIY/Plumbing forums to see if anyone else has had the same problem.

GL
  • Options
    edited August 2013
     Hi Splashies, any decent plumber worth his(her) salt will use a rubber washer or ptfe tape around the screws fixing the cistern . Not saying that this were the fault but you will know he or she's worth if he /she uses this method. Sorry to hear of the damage and hope its fixed with the minimal cost to you. Yours Booboo.
    Posted by booboo5205
    He said it wasn't anywhere near any fixings.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Posted by booboo5205
    lol joker any decent plumber wouldnt need to use ptfe tape this is for cowboys
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Right, thought I'd give you a bit of an update....

Wickes are taking full responsibility for the damage without any fuss....apart from how much they are willing to pay.

The damage, including plumber bills for the intial repair of the toilet and new kitchen ceiling and new bathroom floor, comes to about £750.

Wickes weren't prepared to all of that, they told us to go through our home insurance and they will pay our excess, along with the bill for the plumber. Our excess is £150 and the plumber was about £120, so they've agreed to pay that.

We were concerned that going down this route would lead to a bigger home insurance premium. So we contacted our home insurer and explained the damage is Wickes fault etc. They said our premium might go up a little but it may not at all.

Anyway, our home insurer have already sent us a cheque for the work, and they said that their legal team will look into getting money back from Wickes. 

So Wickes probably should have just paid up straight away, now they've got a legal team on their case.

This whole episode hasn't cost us a penny, thankfully. (apart from maybe a small increase on our premium)

Happy ending :D

• Options
    edited September 2013

I thought the whole idea of having an inside toilet was that you could spend a penny???