You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

to tikay

edited August 2013 in Poker Chat
just finished a book, where you got a mention. is it true when you were a lad , that one day you could,nt , and the next day when you woke up you could 

Comments

• edited August 2013

Morning epwb. What does "epwb" stand for, if I may ask?

The answer to your question, which I assume referred to my inability to read or write until a late age, is yes, it just happened overnight, when I was around 13 or 14, just like that. What a thing! There were reasons for the problem, which I won't bore you with. My stammer disappeared at the same time. Happy days!

And so, with immediate effect, reading & writing (& talking "normally") was like new toys on Xmas day morning, I wanted to play with them non-stop. Over 50 years later, the novelty has not worn off, & reading & writing remain my greatest pleasures in life, bar none.

The "miracle" remains something I'm still grateful for, too, & will never take for granted. In fact, my bad start in life has made my life so much happier, & more fulfilled, & I don't take stuff for granted. It makes me terribly sad to see so many unhappy people, spending half their life moaning about this & that. Life is what we make it, & we get out of it what we put into it. Anyone who has ever suffered a mental or physical disability will understand that, hence my loathing of some of the dreadful terms that have become commonplace in poker, & of those that use such language.   

What book did you read that in? I was not aware it was in any book.

• edited August 2013

Tony Kendall - the 1st 100 years, by Tony Kendall. ??

I hope I am not derailing this thread by asking how is your book coming on Tikay? 
  • edited August 2013

Slowly!

There are just so many enjoyable things in life that I want to do, & never enough time to do them all.

I had it all "framed up" earlier this year, broken into chapters & sections, then had to add another chapter when something quite extraordinary arose, about two or three months ago. Not something I can really discuss right now, but soon enough I'll be able to.

I have discovered that you can now use "e-publishing" to publish books much cheaper, & easier, than conventional printed hard copies. I would prefer it to be a printed book, a traditional book, but the e-publishing looks the more sensible route. It won't make any money, it'll not sell more than a few hundred copies, but thats not the idea at all. It'd just be nice to record some stuff about my life, & in the process, I hope, help a few people understand some stuff, especially those who have a bad start in life. 

To be fair, even if it were finished, I would not publish it until I retire from work, or, more likely, Suit City put me out to grass. Which might be in 5 years, or tomorrow morning, who knows? At my age, I think the Unders is the bet, but there'll be no complaints, I've had a great time. 

Talking of biographies, I was somewhat taken aback to see the title of Ian Botham's book, "Don't Tell Kath". Mrs Botham must be some understanding lady! I assume you know the reason for the title, but it's quite surprising, & revealing, that she allowed that title.

If you are interested in Botham, google "Ian Botham, Don't Tell Kath" & then read the recent article which the Daily Mirror published, 6 weeks ago. Very revealing & honest, I thought.

How is your lad? Following Port Vale, or Stoke City, yet?      

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: to tikay:
    Slowly! There are just so many enjoyable things in life that I want to do, & never enough time to do them all. I had it all "framed up" earlier this year, broken into chapters & sections, then had to add another chapter when something quite extraordinary arose, about two or three months ago. Not something I can really discuss right now, but soon enough I'll be able to.   I have discovered that you can now use "e-publishing" to publish books much cheaper, & easier, than conventional printed hard copies. I would prefer it to be a printed book, a traditional book, but the e-publishing looks the more sensible route. It won't make any money, it'll not sell more than a few hundred copies, but thats not the idea at all. It'd just be nice to record some stuff about my life, & in the process, I hope, help a few people understand some stuff, especially those who have a bad start in life.  To be fair, even if it were finished, I would not publish it until I retire from work, or, more likely, Suit City put me out to grass. Which might be in 5 years, or tomorrow morning, who knows? At my age, I think the Unders is the bet, but there'll be no complaints, I've had a great time.  Talking of biographies, I was somewhat taken aback to see the title of Ian Botham's book, "Don't Tell Kath". Mrs Botham must be some understanding lady! I assume you know the reason for the title, but it's quite surprising, & revealing, that she allowed that title.   If you are interested in Botham, google "Ian Botham, Don't Tell Kath" & then read the recent article which the Daily Mirror published, 6 weeks ago. Very revealing & honest, I thought.   How is your lad? Following Port Vale, or Stoke City, yet?        
    Posted by Tikay10
    Those little blue pills do work then ! :-)
  • edited August 2013
  • edited August 2013
    Slowly! There are just so many enjoyable things in life that I want to do, & never enough time to do them all. I had it all "framed up" earlier this year, broken into chapters & sections, then had to add another chapter when something quite extraordinary arose, about two or three months ago. Not something I can really discuss right now, but soon enough I'll be able to.   I have discovered that you can now use "e-publishing" to publish books much cheaper, & easier, than conventional printed hard copies. I would prefer it to be a printed book, a traditional book, but the e-publishing looks the more sensible route. It won't make any money, it'll not sell more than a few hundred copies, but thats not the idea at all. It'd just be nice to record some stuff about my life, & in the process, I hope, help a few people understand some stuff, especially those who have a bad start in life.  To be fair, even if it were finished, I would not publish it until I retire from work, or, more likely, Suit City put me out to grass. Which might be in 5 years, or tomorrow morning, who knows? At my age, I think the Unders is the bet, but there'll be no complaints, I've had a great time.  Talking of biographies, I was somewhat taken aback to see the title of Ian Botham's book, "Don't Tell Kath". Mrs Botham must be some understanding lady! I assume you know the reason for the title, but it's quite surprising, & revealing, that she allowed that title.   If you are interested in Botham, google "Ian Botham, Don't Tell Kath" & then read the recent article which the Daily Mirror published, 6 weeks ago. Very revealing & honest, I thought.   How is your lad? Following Port Vale, or Stoke City, yet?        
    Posted by Tikay10

I would not know where to start with e-publishing etc, so even more good luck with all that now. I am sure you will sort it all out soon. I also know that your book will be an inspiration to quite a few folk when it comes out.

Yes, IT Botham is one of my idols. Not only for his sporting achievement, but his charity work off the field too, which is close to my heart. I do think you can sometimes separate the two personas that sporting people have. Like Gazza for example. I will try and get hold of that book though, as it sounds an interesting read.

My lad is just knocking onto his teenage years, but is bright as a button. Hence that is why he follows Stoke, not Port Fail :)

• edited August 2013

LOYALTYS on the way TIKAY lol.

• edited August 2013
    Bit of topic...

But miracles do happen, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ww4lb82FEU

Can't beat Mrs Brown's boys lol
  • edited August 2013
    [hi tikay thanks for the reply. wow that is amazing ,just shows you anything is possible.the book is called,swimming with the devilfish, by des wilson. epwb is just something taking the micky out of my husband .  by the way really loved your vegas blogs . something you said a few weeks back reminded me to try and have fun while playing poker,after all there are worse  things in life than a bad beat, so thanks