You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I shall be taking an hour off to watch the meteor shower.

edited August 2013 in Poker Chat
I suggest you do the same.

I just hope the neighbours don't see me in the garden in my y-fronts on laying on the sun lounger at 2am :-)

Comments

• edited August 2013
    dead jealous - it's too bright here to see anything
  • edited August 2013
    I went out there for about 15 minutes earlier, i saw one lonely shooting star, aparently at its peak were spose to be seeing 100 an hour!!! Yeah rite!!! if its as quet as it was earlier you wont be out there long!!! Unless you fall asleep!!! lol
  • edited August 2013
    best showers were in 1992/3 - won't be as good as that again for another 110 years - but it's still one of the best shows if:
    the sky is dark enough
    you are patient enough
    you don't get chased in your y-fronts by the neighnours dog

says GELDY who is a FRAS, although most of the best meteor work in the UK is done by members of the BAA
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: I shall be taking an hour off to watch the meteor shower.:
    best showers were in 1992/3 - won't be as good as that again for another 110 years - but it's still one of the best shows if: the sky is dark enough you are patient enough you don't get chased in your y-fronts by the neighnours dog says GELDY who is a FRAS, although most of the best meteor work in the UK is done by members of the BAA
    Posted by GELDY
    Impressive!
    You're a styled fellow who is considered acceptable to the FRAS society.
  • edited August 2013
    Well I didnt see anything of note.

But it is rather nice chilling outside in the quiet hours, very peaceful and fresh.
  • edited August 2013
    I went out there for about 15 minutes earlier, i saw one lonely shooting star, aparently at its peak were spose to be seeing 100 an hour!!! Yeah rite!!! if its as quet as it was earlier you wont be out there long!!! Unless you fall asleep!!! lol
    Posted by MrCoxy
    Two points
    1. There will be an apparent clustering effect where you have few observations for a while and then several in quick succession
    2. If the ambient light of the background is too high you may only see the brighter ones

• edited August 2013

Had an hour out there (nipple on) and managed to see four.  It was pretty cool although they don't last long.  Got really excited when I seen one flashing on and off and then realised it was a helicopter.

Geldy how do you become a member of FRAS?  I'd really like to join.  Is there a secret password, on second thoughts I had better not ask for that on here or I may get suspended.  :-)

Recently went to the space centre in Leicester and really enjoyed it.  Anyone know of any other cool spacey stuff to do?  Think I'll look up the Barringer crater next time I go to Vegas.

To infinity and beyond!

• edited August 2013
    It was good stuff, but im guess all donttelmum saw was his aa holding again ;)
  • edited August 2013
    Geldy how do you become a member of FRAS?  I'd really like to join.  Is there a secret password, on second thoughts I had better not ask for that on here or I may get suspended.  :-) 
    Posted by Donttelmum
    psst - keep it quiet

• edited August 2013
    however you may find one of these more relevant for you, as they are focussed more on observational and amateur astronomers

British Astronomical Association

Society for Popular Astronomy

never been a member of the BAA, but had a great time in the SPA, or JAS as it was known when I was a member many years ago
  • edited August 2013
    Saw several while out on the milk round without needing to take an hour off :)

For a change we had a clear starry sky, it's usually cloudy in these parts whenever there's a meteor shower.
  • edited August 2013
    Maybe next time one will land on earth !

Meteors coming close to earth never really appealed to my survival insticnt :D