You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

should i have?

edited August 2013 in The Poker Clinic
taffy200 Small blind  400.00 400.00 11888.00
rockmount Big blind  800.00 1200.00 38672.50
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • K

screwy27 Call  800.00 2000.00 25349.75
spaldin931 Call  800.00 2800.00 31337.50
sara36dd08 Fold     
taffy200 Call  400.00 3200.00 11488.00
rockmount Check     
Flop

• J

taffy200 Check     
rockmount Check     
screwy27 Check     
spaldin931 Check     
Turn

taffy200 Check     
rockmount Check     
screwy27 Bet  800.00 4000.00 24549.75
spaldin931 Raise  1600.00 5600.00 29737.50
taffy200 Fold     
rockmount Fold     
screwy27 Raise  1600.00 7200.00 22949.75
spaldin931 Call  800.00 8000.00 28937.50
River

screwy27 Bet  800.00 8800.00 22149.75
spaldin931 Raise  10400.00 19200.00 18537.50
screwy27 All-in  22149.75 41349.75 0.00
spaldin931 Call  12549.75 53899.50 5987.75
screwy27 Show
  • Q
  • K

spaldin931 Show
  • J
  • J

spaldin931 Win Full House, Jacks and 10s 53899.50
should I have raised big before the turn ? or would he called anyway?

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Not sure where to start with this.
  • edited August 2013
    We're playing a 30BB stack and we have KQs in an unopened pot. This should lead to raising pre-flop. Limping is a big mistake.

If we just make a min-raise we could win the pot pre-flop or we could get just one or two callers and take the pot down on the flop with a c-bet. In other words; we can win the pot without hitting our hand. In any game of hold 'em that's pretty much the idea. We won't get any more good hands than our opponents do so we need to be able to win without good hands if we ever want to achieve anything.

So raise pre-flop. I can't emphasise enough how big a mistake it is to limp in these situations... or almost ever, in fact. Everything I say after this point will be irrelevant if you don't stop limping.

As it is, we've gone to the flop four handed and flopped the nuts. Good times. :)
    We have to bet, though. Not betting this flop is another big mistake. Since this is a limped pot we shouldn't assume that anyone else is going to bet and there's only one player left to act behind us. If we don't bet the flop, it's going to be tough to get stacks in by the river.

Think about the types of hands your opponents can be playing. They can have 78, 89, 9T, TJ, QJ, QT, J9, 8T, possibly even 99 or TT... All of those hands have hit this flop really, really hard. All of those hands will probably get it in on this flop if you bet. There are other hands that have hit this board, like Jx or Qx hands, that will probably call a bet but may not bet themselves.

If your opponents have just 55 or Ax, they're really unlikely to pay you off on later streets anyway. Checking just loses value if the turn is a Queen or pairs the board and your opponents get scared, or if they're holding a draw and they miss.

There really is no reason not to bet the flop.

On the turn our bet is far too small. We want to be playing for stacks here because we've got the nuts. If we're going to play for stacks we need to bet considerably bigger. We should size our bet in relation to the size of the pot. Standard bets would be between half-pot and full-pot and here we'd want to bet close to full-pot. We've actually just min-bet, which is a quarter of the pot - Far too small in this situation.

When we're raised, we should assume that our opponent has a good hand. Now min-3-betting is a big mistake. It is the worst value raise we can make - obviously, since it's the smallest raise we can make - and it's a raise size we would never make as a bluff. We very much turn our hand face-up here and allow our opponents to play very easily against us. 3-bet much bigger. Again, your 3-bet should be in relation to the size of the pot, not the size of the other player's raise. Min-raising post-flop is almost always a bad idea.

On the river, our value bet is way too small. We no longer have the nuts but we still have a very strong hand and people will pay us much more than this 800 if we give them the chance. I'd probably be making it between 5k and 9k on this river, if I'd got this far.

As played, I don't think there's any way we can fold to the raise on the river. We've under-represented our hand so much that our opponent can have a super-wide range for raising, including some bluffs. However, we should ask whether it's worth going all-in... We need to ask whether our opponent is going to call that shove with just trip Tens or a Jack. If he is, then it's fine to shove. If he's not, then we should just call...

It's really tough to give the villain a range on the river because of the strange and weak manner in which we've played the hand. However, after the min-raise-call on the turn, I'd be thinking his range on this river is likely to be pretty polarised to either bluffs or big hands as I can't see him playing the turn that way with just a Ten. I would probably flat the river raise as a result, because I don't think he's likely to call the rest off with a hand I beat... Though we shouldn't find ourselves in this situation at all.

So raise pre-flop, bet the flop (half-pot or more), bet more on the turn, 3-bet for more on the turn and value bet more on the river.
  • edited August 2013
    Raise pre, bet flop and turn and then fold the river shove.

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever everever ever ever everever ever ever everever ever ever everever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever should you be putting yourself in a position to go bust in a limped pot. He could have T6 T9 TJ JJ TT 99 66 here and you cannot define his range the way you played.

You are calling the river to chop at best here.
  • edited August 2013
    yeah my own fault I know ... should of folded had him down as Q8 AK or A10 should of read the board but thought I flopped winner on the flop curse of the river
  • edited August 2013
    I'm sure borin covered the details so

Raise pre for value

Bet flop for value

Bet turn bigger for value

Bet river bigger for value. As played depends on villain, prob call>fold>raise when he raises river big
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: should i have?:
    I'm sure borin covered the details so Raise pre for value Bet flop for value Bet turn bigger for value Bet river bigger for value. As played depends on villain, prob call />fold>raise when he raises river big
    Posted by grantorino
    AKs  4xbb flop 376 get shoved all in so must have trips or 45
    KK 4 x bb flop 10 A Q get raised pot me folded
    AA  4 xbb flop 10 K 9 I pot raise get called all in he got JQ
    33 limp in flop A 5 3 get called all in I call and beat aces
    78s limp flop 6s 9s K get raised so call turn is As get raised call river J raised again call win with flush
    66 limp flop Q J 6 get called all in win with 3/6s
    10 10 limp flop 10 K K called all in beat AK
  • edited August 2013
    mfw...
    OP sits at my table.

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: should i have? : AKs  4xbb flop 376 get shoved all in so must have trips or 45 KK 4 x bb flop 10 A Q get raised pot me folded AA  4 xbb flop 10 K 9 I pot raise get called all in he got JQ 33 limp in flop A 5 3 get called all in I call and beat aces 78s limp flop 6s 9s K get raised so call turn is As get raised call river J raised again call win with flush 66 limp flop Q J 6 get called all in win with 3/6s 10 10 limp flop 10 K K called all in beat AK
    Posted by screwy27
    I'm not sure of the point of this post. Are you trying to justify limping by giving examples of occasions that you limped and flopped big?

You realise that the flop texture isn't affected by your pre-flop betting?
  • edited August 2013
    The poker gods presented you with a gift

You ingnored their gift on the flop

You insulted their gift on the turn

The poker gods responded with great wrath and fury on the river

The poker gods are vindicated to their part.
  • edited August 2013
    I see alot wrong with this hand altho it would all still be the same outcome but thats irrelevant

min raise pre here late stages no pint 3 x raising as min raise still does the same job on this wet flop id bet 3/4 pot for sure checking is really bad as u wanna get paid for ya hand giving free cards just aint good 
  • edited August 2013

First: 22/8/2010
    Last: 19/8/2013
    Raise pre, bet flop and turn and then fold the river shove. 

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever everever ever ever everever ever ever everever ever ever everever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever should you be putting yourself in a position to go bust in a limped pot

?????????????? on this flop ya destined to go broke it plays itself lol i hate all the faffing about on the turn small bet 800 then a click back why dont u raise big like 4k a min raise does nothing nadda nowt make em pay for there draws 
  • edited August 2013
    Batkin88 Posts: 1610 First: 22/8/2010 Last: 19/8/2013 Raise pre, bet flop and turn and then fold the river shove.  Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever everever ever ever everever ever ever everever ever ever everever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever should you be putting yourself in a position to go bust in a limped pot ?????????????? on this flop ya destined to go broke it plays itself lol i hate all the faffing about on the turn small bet 800 then a click back why dont u raise big like 4k a min raise does nothing nadda nowt make em pay for there draws 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    because I thought I had hit the winning hand on the flop and if I called big he fold straight away or all in so thought I could at least get some chips out of it, but it don't matter on here what you do really  that's variance for you, must be my turn to have it go my way  soon because im loseing to the smaller% every time at the moment. or I just flush my money down the toilet each month that way I know ive mugged myself  lol
  • edited August 2013
    You've got a lot of good players going to some length to tell you that you didn't play this hand well. Don't blame variance, look at yourself.

You need to bet this flop because a) You have the nuts, and b) it's a flop that smashes your opponents' ranges, so they're unlikely to fold.

We don't want to check just because we have a massive hand and we're afraid our opponents will fold. If we bet and our opponents fold then we know they didn't have anything anyway. If they don't have anything on this type of flop, it's virtually impossible for them to improve on the turn or river to a point where they'll put lots more money in.

So we lose nothing by making them fold but we miss out on lots of value if we don't give them the chance to call with weaker hands.
  • edited August 2013
    You've got a lot of good players going to some length to tell you that you didn't play this hand well. Don't blame variance, look at yourself. You need to bet this flop because a) You have the nuts, and b) it's a flop that smashes your opponents' ranges, so they're unlikely to fold. We don't want to check just because we have a massive hand and we're afraid our opponents will fold. If we bet and our opponents fold then we know they didn't have anything anyway. If they don't have anything on this type of flop, it's virtually impossible for them to improve on the turn or river to a point where they'll put lots more money in. So we lose nothing by making them fold but we miss out on lots of value if we don't give them the chance to call with weaker hands.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    dont really matter how i played it i lost on the river(new to sky poker that one) thanks everyone for you help and tips but ive decided not to deposit anymore not enjoying playing on here anymore to many bad beats and if your not enjoying it may aswell quit going to give other sites a chance for a  few months see how 9 player tables are so read the reviews see whats out there good luck everyone and thanks again
  • edited August 2013
    1 BIG ADVICE I WILL GIVE U 

If u hit big bet 3/4 on the pot if its a wet flop like this for instance if its a save flop like k  2  6 etc bet half pot u have to bet your good hands if u trap u will never win if u bet with the hands u hit and they fold u win the pot nice chips added 2 ya stack if they call the lovely bet 3/4 on the turn etc i see alot of things wrong in this hand preflop not raising  if its gd enuff to call then its gd enuff to raise take the initative in the hand ya in position so most of the time  the opponent checks u bet they fold easy game :)   on the flop U HAVE TO BET ITS MULTIWAY PROTECT YA HAND AND 1 OF THESE PLAYERS SHOULD OF HIT A PEACE SO MAKE EM PAY ON THE TURN U HAVE TO RAISE FOR VALUE AND U WANT THEM TO PAY FOR THERE DRAWS 
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: should i have? : dont really matter how i played it i lost on the river(new to sky poker that one) thanks everyone for you help and tips but ive decided not to deposit anymore not enjoying playing on here anymore to many bad beats and if your not enjoying it may aswell quit going to give other sites a chance for a  few months see how 9 player tables are so read the reviews see whats out there good luck everyone and thanks again
    Posted by screwy27
    This thread proves how wrong your conclusion is. You're not constantly getting unlucky on Sky, you're (most likely) just playing bad.
    You'll always think you get unlucky in online poker, because you don't play well. You've absolutely butchered the hand in OP, and your justifications are diabolical. Your play Pre, Flop, Turn AND River are all so sub-optimal I'm convinced you just button mashed the entire hand.

Look at your hands when you bust, and see if you got your money in bad. The more you see yourself get the money in behind, the greater the likelihood of you playing poorly.

GL on other sites, sure as hell gunna need it.
  • edited August 2013
    Batkin88 Posts: 1610 First: 22/8/2010 Last: 19/8/2013 Raise pre, bet flop and turn and then fold the river shove.  Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever everever ever ever everever ever ever everever ever ever everever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever should you be putting yourself in a position to go bust in a limped pot ?????????????? on this flop ya destined to go broke it plays itself lol i hate all the faffing about on the turn small bet 800 then a click back why dont u raise big like 4k a min raise does nothing nadda nowt make em pay for there draws 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    If you raise pre bet the flop and turn, atleast you go broke playing it correctly. With stacks and playing it correctly you can get it in on the turn whilst your still ahead.
  • edited August 2013

wee_T Small blind  20.00 20.00 3822.50
    Dixie_D Big blind  40.00 60.00 4820.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • J

efcmik Fold     
    bewhereall Fold     
    mizpah Raise  80.00 140.00 6542.50
    screwy27 Call  80.00 220.00 4745.00
    wee_T Raise  220.00 440.00 3602.50
    Dixie_D Fold     
    mizpah Call  160.00 600.00 6382.50
    screwy27 Call  160.00 760.00 4585.00
    Flop

• J

wee_T Bet  760.00 1520.00 2842.50
    mizpah Fold     
    screwy27 Call  760.00 2280.00 3825.00
    Turn

wee_T Bet  2280.00 4560.00 562.50
    screwy27 All-in  3825.00 8385.00 0.00
    wee_T All-in  562.50 8947.50 0.00
    screwy27 Unmatched bet  982.50 7965.00 982.50
    wee_T Show
    • Q
    • A

screwy27 Show
    • K
    • J

River

• Q

wee_T Win Pair of Queens 7965.00  7965.00
    that's why I wait till the river and don't enjoy my poker on here anymore happens every tourney rewarding the fish yeah maybe I shouldn't of shoved but he been bluffing everyhand but these type seem to hit on the river every time
  • edited August 2013
    I could write something along the same line as Borin and Smitalos, without the elegance.
    However, it seems you are totally unprepared to listen to any advice and believe you're just unlucky, so I won't.
    Good luck with your poker
  • edited August 2013
  • edited August 2013
    I could write something along the same line as Borin and Smitalos, without the elegance. However, it seems you are totally unprepared to listen to any advice and believe you're just unlucky, so I won't. Good luck with your poker
    Posted by Jac35
    Ive listened to advice and followed it raise n pot raise but everytime I hit someone as hit better (yes that's poker)or I get a fish hitting the river, or i hit the bee knees and every one folds ...i hit the bee knees but wooooah someone by a miracle as got better(yes that's poker again) so you give me advice on how to get round that ???? or shall I play like a fish ???? had 9 months of no luck on here  bad beat after bad beat or fish calling on nothing and hitting on the river by some miracle after 9 months and over 1000£ think im allowed to moan aren't I???? i aint some numpty who dosent know how to play you play i hand you KNOW  your in front ie full house but by the river you've lost to quads yeah its variance !!! so when does it go my way???? when ive put X amount into sky coffers????? 12 months ???? so come on im listening ...
  • edited August 2013
    1 BIG ADVICE I WILL GIVE U  If u hit big bet 3/4 on the pot if its a wet flop like this for instance if its a save flop like k  2  6 etc bet half pot u have to bet your good hands if u trap u will never win if u bet with the hands u hit and they fold u win the pot nice chips added 2 ya stack if they call the lovely bet 3/4 on the turn etc i see alot of things wrong in this hand preflop not raising  if its gd enuff to call then its gd enuff to raise take the initative in the hand ya in position so most of the time  the opponent checks u bet they fold easy game :)   on the flop U HAVE TO BET ITS MULTIWAY PROTECT YA HAND AND 1 OF THESE PLAYERS SHOULD OF HIT A PEACE SO MAKE EM PAY ON THE TURN U HAVE TO RAISE FOR VALUE AND U WANT THEM TO PAY FOR THERE DRAWS 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU[/QUote

will give this a go on a different site cheers 1 chip or 1000 chips its about building your stack
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: should i have? :
    1 BIG ADVICE I WILL GIVE U  If u hit big bet 3/4 on the pot if its a wet flop like this for instance if its a save flop like k  2  6 etc bet half pot u have to bet your good hands if u trap u will never win if u bet with the hands u hit and they fold u win the pot nice chips added 2 ya stack if they call the lovely bet 3/4 on the turn etc i see alot of things wrong in this hand preflop not raising  if its gd enuff to call then its gd enuff to raise take the initative in the hand ya in position so most of the time  the opponent checks u bet they fold easy game :)   on the flop U HAVE TO BET ITS MULTIWAY PROTECT YA HAND AND 1 OF THESE PLAYERS SHOULD OF HIT A PEACE SO MAKE EM PAY ON THE TURN U HAVE TO RAISE FOR VALUE AND U WANT THEM TO PAY FOR THERE DRAWS  Posted by IDONKCALLU[/QUote will give this a go on a different site cheers 1 chip or 1000 chips its about building your stack
    Posted by screwy27
    if you lose on sky you will lose on other sites, this is the easiest site going.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: should i have? : Ive listened to advice and followed it raise n pot raise but everytime I hit someone as hit better (yes that's poker)or I get a fish hitting the river, or i hit the bee knees and every one folds ...i hit the bee knees but wooooah someone by a miracle as got better(yes that's poker again) so you give me advice on how to get round that ???? or shall I play like a fish ???? had 9 months of no luck on here  bad beat after bad beat or fish calling on nothing and hitting on the river by some miracle after 9 months and over 1000£ think im allowed to moan aren't I???? i aint some numpty who dosent know how to play you play i hand you KNOW  your in front ie full house but by the river you've lost to quads yeah its variance !!! so when does it go my way???? when ive put X amount into sky coffers????? 12 months ???? so come on im listening ...
    Posted by screwy27
    no-one on here advised you to play the hand from your op the way you did that's for sure!

But yes playing the hand perfectly sometimes can lead you to losing all your chips but it's about the long run. if you learn to make more correct plays more often in the long run you'll make a return. I'm not even that good a player and I know your play above, sorry to say, isn't very good.

Some of the guys on here are very, very good players and you should listen to the free advice they give you.

Why not play more DYM's to start off where ABC poker normally gets the job done? might be a good way to get a better grounding in the game.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: should i have? : no-one on here advised you to play the hand from your op the way you did that's for sure! But yes playing the hand perfectly sometimes can lead you to losing all your chips but it's about the long run. if you learn to make more correct plays more often in the long run you'll make a return. I'm not even that good a player and I know your play above, sorry to say, isn't very good. Some of the guys on here are very, very good players and you should listen to the free advice they give you.   Why not play more DYM's to start off where ABC poker normally gets the job done? might be a good way to get a better grounding in the game.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    its ok mate ive cracked it playing a new site now only the odd fish so much better than sky and no bad beat as of yet maybe beginers luck who knows
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: should i have? : its ok mate ive cracked it playing a new site now only the odd fish so much better than sky and no bad beat as of yet maybe beginers luck who knows
    Posted by screwy27
    You are delusional.

You will constantly blame the RNG/site because you think you are playing well, unless you seek to fix your leaks. Of which, there are many.

This is coming from Sky's biggest volume player at the Medium/High stakes.
    You need to improve, drastically.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: should i have? : You are delusional. You will constantly blame the RNG/site because you think you are playing well, unless you seek to fix your leaks. Of which, there are many. This is coming from Sky's biggest volume player at the Medium/High stakes. You need to improve, drastically.
    Posted by Smitalos
    no im not playing well that's why ive changed sites see if theres life beyond sky poker? what leaks do you mean? because to me if you got 10k and get AK flop comes JKK you shove all in someone else as AQ and shoves with you (his 8k) and tourney life hopeing to hit a 10 which he does time and time again on the river would you shove all in for a gut shot? knowing the other player as hit? how do I fix them leaks ? check the flop? pot raise? fold when the fish shoves? wait till the river? bet high knowing the fish will call? and im not blameing the RNG/site it is what it is a computer progam at the end of the day !!