You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Head Hunter Tournaments - Your Thoughts?

edited August 2013 in Poker Chat
Hey Everybody,

We are thinking of introducing a new variation of Bounty Hunter tournaments into the schedule. Head Hunter tournaments.

Head hunter tournaments are very similar to bounty hunter tournaments with one major change, there is no prizepool. 100% of a player's buy-in is put on their head

We are very excited about this type of tournament and was wondering what your thoughts on structuring the tournament would be. How would you want the prizepool to be split up?

Would you prefer:

-The hunter to take 100% of the other players buy-in when knocking that player out without any going on the winners head for future knockouts.

-The hunter to take 75% of the other players buy-in when knocking that player out, with 25%of the buy-in added to the winning players head for future knockouts.

-The hunter to take 50% of the other players buy-in when knocking that player out, with 50%of the buy-in added to the winning players head for future knockouts. 

-The hunter to take 25% of the other players buy-in when knocking that player out, with 75%of the buy-in added to the winning players head for future knockouts. (Very large bounties when the final table is made)

Or another way of setting them up?

Thoughts?

Cheers.

Comments

• edited August 2013
    I am guessing this tournament format exists elsewhere, so there are probably players with relative experience to pass comment better than myself.

Anyway, my naive first impression would be the last option listed would be my preference, as I imagine this may help keep the structure similar to a tournament, where the players reaching the final table, can still have a decent chance of winning the most, though I realise this is by no means guaranteed.

I think it will also depend on buy-ins, for small buy-ins, I might be more tempted to try a hunter with 100% bounty reward, I imagine this format will bring some reall lag / bingo play (no guarantee that style would be the best style) and should carry a health warning for anyone susceptible to tilt.

So my first choice (open to change) would be:

The hunter to take 25% of the other players buy-in when knocking that player out, with 75%of the buy-in added to the winning players head for future knockouts. (Very large bounties when the final table is made)
  • edited August 2013
    75/25 for me. The slowly increasing value of the head prize would counter the lack of prize pool, esp in the latter stages. It's very possible for a player to finish second in one of these and not make a penny.
  • edited August 2013
  • edited August 2013
    25/75 for me.. otherwise the final table isnt going to be much more interesting than the rest of the tournament.
  • edited August 2013
    hate the idea but ive no doubt they will be very popular on here, the thrill of tournament poker for me is aiming to capture that big prize at the end. this thought process seems lost on this site!!!
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Head Hunter Tournaments - Your Thoughts?:
    hate the idea but ive no doubt they will be very popular on here, the thrill of tournament poker for me is aiming to capture that big prize at the end. this thought process seems lost on this site!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    +1

I think these would be awful...........but no doubt popular :(
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Head Hunter Tournaments - Your Thoughts?:
    Posted by THEROCK573
    This is true and more so I feel for live tournament events, however, Bounty Hunters seam to be more popular for online poker players at the moment, and they are especially popular for the smaller bankrolled players imo so i'm all for a bit of variety and variation of these popular tournaments.

I think most players know what to expect from a Bounty Hunter nowadays and I don't think it will be quite the shove fest some peeps are expecting, will just have to wait and see I suppose, but they will certainly be a lot of fun imo.

Any ways - I'm going for the 50/50 - I think this would make the latter stages more worthwhile and with all the prize pool on the heads 50% to winner will be much better compared to 75% of half the prize pool of ordinary Bounty Hunters (If you know what I mean?) so hopefully, players can still win plenty by taking heads and with the increased prizes on heads, the latter stages / Final table will still be worth while.
  • edited August 2013
    My first thought was 100% but on reflection 25/75 would be perfect because it does encourage you to aim for the latter stages (where the head prizes should be a lot bigger) and discourgae the allin fests as the bounties first up dont offer so much an incentive.

Plus, how about adding an extra 10-20% of the buyin to be added to the buyin for a first place finish. I.E. £2.20BH becomes £2.40 so you do get a decent reward for finishing first. We all know we aim for first and it would be an added incentive TO finish first. 
  • edited August 2013
    75/25 is a good balance imo.

100/0 would be a total bore, winning while HU would be no more valuable than eliminating a player in level 1.

50/50 or higher would become a huge shovefest, head-prizes would get so high that they'd be worth more than the chips in the middle.
  • edited August 2013

It seems strange to me that there is a 3 handed UKOPs event after just 1 (to my knowledge) trial tournament.

How about 3 handed (or preferably 4 handed) bounty hunters in the daily schedule, with the current bounty arrangement?

That will increase the action for the people who love it, without changing the payout dynamic (which clearly works and is popular).
  • edited August 2013
    Really don't like the idea but if it was to go ahead 50-50 split.As mentioned above a player could finish second and not cash at all which is wrong.