You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NBC HU Final, Hellmuth v Matusow!

edited August 2013 in Poker Chat
I reccommend that people find this TV show online and watch it if they haven't already. 

In what is effectively a $350,000 best of 3 HU sng, the play & the antics/body language of the 2 players is just unbelievable. 

2 players well known for their live poker skills playing on raw emotion, it's the most entertaining/comical poker show I've ever seen. 

Whatever happened to trying to keep a good poker face! !!!!!!?

Some highlights below !

:D

Comments

• edited August 2013
    In Response to NBC HU Final, Hellmuth v Matusow!:
    I reccommend that people find this TV show online and watch it if they haven't already.  In what is effectively a $350,000 best of 3 HU sng, the play & the antics/body language of the 2 players is just unbelievable.  2 players well known for their live poker skills playing on raw emotion, it's the most entertaining/comical poker show I've ever seen.  Whatever happened to trying to keep a good poker face! !!!!!!? Some highlights below ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRaURjtIKR4 :D
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    i watched it, comedy gold but helmuth is embarrasing at times, in the first game he was complaing about mattasow calling him for 20bbs with AQ. he was deadly serious too as if mike made a bad play.
  • edited August 2013
    I watched this, was brilliant lol. Couldn't believe Hellmuth was complaining about Mike calling a 3bet in position with 78s when he had done it 2-3 times previously with garbage (9,5 off was one of them i'm sure?) haha.

Comedy gold indeed, was hoping it would be hellmuth v matusow in the final and i got my wish lol.
  • edited August 2013
    Yes i watched this, it was very good.

I wish mike would tone it down a notch though, he makes my ears bleed.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: NBC HU Final, Hellmuth v Matusow!:
    Yes i watched this, it was very good. I wish mike would tone it down a notch though, he makes my ears bleed.
    Posted by MrJoeBlogs
    I finally cracked and yelled at the TV during the montage of him shouting "It's my time!", before hitting fast-forward.

Quite enjoyed this whole series. We still have weekly Premier League & PCA to enjoy.

• edited August 2013
    Really enjoyed the whole series. 

But got to say Matasau was so annoying in the final with his comments
  • edited August 2013

Comedy gold indeed. I think it is best to compare it to American Wrestling, or Breaking Bad, that sort of stuff.

When Hellmuth "trapped" Matusow with A-K, he almost fell over with excitement when he jumped up & tried to push all his chips in.

On a certain level, yes, really quite funny. Good for poker in many ways, too.

• edited August 2013
    It was entertaining, no doubt about it. 2 of the biggest legends/showman in the game in full flow. It did make me wonder though, would Hellmuth and Matusow act the way they act, say the things they say and behave they way they have/do at the poker table if not fot he camera's being there. Would Hellmuth be so boisterous and so prone to blow ups if not for such a huge audience watching him, and in turn him fully aware of such a huge watching audience, would Hellmuth be 'Hellmuth' or would he be just another poker player if not for the camera's.

We'll never know of course. Makes you think, though.
  • edited August 2013
    It was entertaining, no doubt about it. 2 of the biggest legends/showman in the game in full flow. It did make me wonder though, would Hellmuth and Matusow act the way they act, say the things they say and behave they way they have/do at the poker table if not fot he camera's being there. Would Hellmuth be so boisterous and so prone to blow ups if not for such a huge audience watching him, and in turn him fully aware of such a huge watching audience, would Hellmuth be 'Hellmuth' or would he be just another poker player if not for the camera's. We'll never know of course. Makes you think, though.
    Posted by numb2itall
    I don't think he would. To me (not met him, just what I've picked up from various TV sources), behind all the brat acting he comes across a really decent bloke.
  • edited August 2013
    Matusow, guess it was just 'his time'. Hellsmuth deserved a big win there. The brat and Matusow are pretty tight though. Like to think that however annoyed he might of been, he was genuinly a little happy that Matusow ended up taking it. Better him than Seiver, then again would have loved to see Hellmuth put Seiver to shame.
  • edited August 2013
    They both arnt good at poker.

But they are both definitley good for poker.
  • edited August 2013

You look at the names in that tournament, and have to wonder HOW did they make the final.

The last hand, how can Hellmuth check/jam top pair (questionable play maybe?) but not only that, when he isn't snap called he gets up and starts jumping around like a maniac.

He should have just turned his cards over instead, less effort!

He was dealt J9o in the small blind, first to act pre and he says check! Then proceeds to limp and call the inevitable raise.

Crazy. Why didn't he just realise his blunder, muck the hand pre, then give himself a bol locking for not concentrating, rather than spite limp/calling and semi bluff/folding half his stack. What a plonker.

His so called 'Live skills' r worse than his Poker skills! ;) #HellmuthBashing !
  • edited August 2013
    The Mouth v the Poker Brat was v good tv, questionable play for the most part but glad the Mouth took it down. In saying this it was a refreshing change to see a little humility from Hellmuth and also to see 2 relative oldies at a major final table. There is hope for me yet I think ;o)
  • edited August 2013
    They both arnt good at poker. But they are both definitley good for poker.
    Posted by ajs4385
    how funny won god knows how much between them and they aint no good,wish I was no good like them,braclets galore millions won and they aint that good lmaoau
  • edited August 2013
    They both arnt good at poker. But they are both definitley good for poker.
    Posted by ajs4385
    Yeah your right AJS, they are terrible.
    I mean neither have won anything in the game???????
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: NBC HU Final, Hellmuth v Matusow! : Yeah your right AJS, they are terrible. I mean neither have won anything in the game???????
    Posted by macapaca
    dont have to be any good to win a few freeroll tournys
  • edited August 2013
    ITSSSSSSSSSSSSS MY TIME DNT MATTER WHAT YA DO WITH YA WHITE MAGIC 

ITSSSSSSSSSSS MY TIME :)
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: NBC HU Final, Hellmuth v Matusow! : dont have to be any good to win a few freeroll tournys
    Posted by ajs4385
    Do you have to be any good to win 13 WSOP bracelets?

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: NBC HU Final, Hellmuth v Matusow! : Do you have to be any good to win 13 WSOP bracelets?
    Posted by macapaca
    Either stop trolling, or check yaself.

You're debating Vs someone who has a great forum track record, and for good reason. He's right.

If you're judging anyone on MTT results, do it on ROI, over a huge sample size.
    In Cash Games, we usually say a 100k hand sample size is just enough to get a good idea of your w/r, right?
    Extrapalate that to tournaments. Yeah.

Hellmuth would get absolutely destroyed at 200nl on most sites, nevermind his borderline atrocious play in MTTs.

The most recent bracelet he won (at the WSOP) was in Razz. I railed most of the tourney, and he played pretty w@nk. It was almost embarassing watching one of my childhood idols just spew constantly as he binked his way to another bracelet.

Anyone rating Hellmuth and Matasow is clueless about the game. There, I said it.
  • edited August 2013
    Mike the idiot mouth matusow for sure the most annoying bloke on earth bloke needs to grow up and stop wining about how hard done by he is, must be hard only winning 8 mill in tournies!!!!!!
  • edited August 2013
    Thought Hellmuth's most recent bracelet was the main event at WSOPE?
  • edited August 2013
    Thought Hellmuth's most recent bracelet was the main event at WSOPE?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    it was.
  • edited August 2013
    he must do something i just dont see cos i dont rate him from what ive seen on tv. suppose you cant argue with his records though in mtt's.

when it says about his carear earnings does that take of his losses like it would on sharkscope for instance???
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: NBC HU Final, Hellmuth v Matusow! : Either stop trolling, or check yaself. You're debating Vs someone who has a great forum track record, and for good reason. He's right. If you're judging anyone on MTT results, do it on ROI, over a huge sample size. In Cash Games, we usually say a 100k hand sample size is just enough to get a good idea of your w/r, right? Extrapalate that to tournaments. Yeah. Hellmuth would get absolutely destroyed at 200nl on most sites, nevermind his borderline atrocious play in MTTs. The most recent bracelet he won (at the WSOP) was in Razz. I railed most of the tourney, and he played pretty w@nk. It was almost embarassing watching one of my childhood idols just spew constantly as he binked his way to another bracelet. Anyone rating Hellmuth and Matasow is clueless about the game. There, I said it.
    Posted by Smitalos
    Ok you are right!
    Helmuth is terrible!
    Hahaha
  • edited August 2013
    Suppose we could just watch two non talking bore's, no fun :(
    Was a cringe fest though....

Mike's call with the FD was OMFG really spite Hellmouth !!!

mbn to be such big names in the game, how much sponsorship would you get - they don't have to be that good :)

think mike was so happy he could clear some debt :D

• edited August 2013
    Hellmuth would get absolutely destroyed at 200nl on most sites, nevermind his borderline atrocious play in MTTs.

The most recent bracelet he won (at the WSOP) was in Razz. I railed most of the tourney, and he played pretty w@nk. It was almost embarassing watching one of my childhood idols just spew constantly as he binked his way to another bracelet.

Anyone rating Hellmuth and Matasow is clueless about the game. There, I said it.

+ 1 to smit how hellmuth has won 13 braceletes is beyond me saying that he did win most of them when poker was really soft 
  • edited August 2013
    Hellmuth would get absolutely destroyed at 200nl on most sites, nevermind his borderline atrocious play in MTTs. The most recent bracelet he won (at the WSOP) was in Razz. I railed most of the tourney, and he played pretty w@nk. It was almost embarassing watching one of my childhood idols just spew constantly as he binked his way to another bracelet. Anyone rating Hellmuth and Matasow is clueless about the game. There, I said it. + 1 to smit how hellmuth has won 13 braceletes is beyond me saying that he did win most of them when poker was really soft 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU

All relative, everyone was not as good as players are now.

Just like players were not as good in 2008 as were in 2010.

Likewise fields are tougher now than in 2011.

So yes the old timers are really going to struggle to keep up.
    Even Hellmouth has admitted he needs help with parts of his game.

Face it when you have all these uni/grads math geeks smashing the game with numbers - not much white magic can do against that :)

Like all the old timers throwing their hands up saying "wtf am I suppoed to do verus that"
    still think it's very hard to create a level playing field unless we just look at year by year.

o look Hellmouth done ok last year :)

lol gg

• edited August 2013

When you start getting good at poker you come to realise that tournaments are a joke.

You come to also realise that the majority of sponsored pros are an even bigger joke.

You dont have to be any good at poker to make money if someone is paying your buy in.

eg if a sponsored pro enters a million pounds worth of donkaments a year and cashes for half a million. He is a losing player by quite a bit yet has won half a million quid.