You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Weird internet/laptop problem?

edited February 2014 in The Rail

Hey.

Have been having problems with one laptop, it's about 2 years old, but a lot of the time when I try to connect to the internet on it, it will often get online, but when I load a webpage it disconnects, but not only that it disconnects all the other laptops that are currently online in the house.

Theres 4 laptops and a PC in the house, often 2/3 of these are in use at once, then this laptop tries to go online and it disconnects everyone else.

Maybe something to do with the way it's configured?

I right click/troubleshoot problems and it often resets the wireless connection point before working again. Sometimes it takes 2/3 attempts to do this before it fixes itself. (and even then it's not long before it goes off again)

It's been happening for about a year now, just getting fed up of it.

The problem is certainly this laptop rather than the internet in general.

Any ideas/feedback appreciated, cheers.

Comments

• edited August 2013
    I'll agree with you. It is weird.

What kind of internet router (make/model) are you using? Take it it's just a regular wireless device?

• edited August 2013

Yeh just the regular router they installed when we got the internet yonks ago!
  • edited August 2013
    Hiya Dohhhhhhh,

Try plugging the laptop directly into the router with an ethernet cable and see if it still causes the problem.
    Is this a windows 7 laptop?
    What anti virus software is running on it?
  • edited August 2013
    Hi Joe. 

Yeh it's windows 7. anti virus is just a free security essentials on the culprit laptop. 

Will try the cable thing later...................

I'm upstairs on 1 laptop now and got disconnected about 15 minutes ago.

Went downstairs and sure enough someone had just turned the dodgy laptop on. lol.

It's that predictable !!!!!!

Think the problem might be when it disconnects and I troubleshoot problems, could it reboot something within the router which in turns disconnects everyone else temporarily?

Sometimes it works fine too, makes it even more strange. 
  • edited August 2013
    Switch off all your computers,then switch off your router.Leave for a few minutes ,then switch your router back on again!
    Then switch each computer on in turn.

If that fails,try putting in a switch between your routers and computers!

This means there will only be I connection from your router to the switch.
    Then all your computers can be connected to the switch.
    Make sure the switch has the required amount of connections.

Get the switch from Maplins,be the cheapest.

I use a Netgear Prosafe 8 Port Gigabit Switch Model GS108

Also ,have you got the N version of Router!
  • edited August 2013

In Response to Re: Weird internet/laptop problem?:
    Hi Joe.  Yeh it's windows 7. anti virus is just a free security essentials on the culprit laptop.  Will try the cable thing later................... I'm upstairs on 1 laptop now and got disconnected about 15 minutes ago. Went downstairs and sure enough someone had just turned the dodgy laptop on. lol. It's that predictable !!!!!! Think the problem might be when it disconnects and I troubleshoot problems, could it reboot something within the router which in turns disconnects everyone else temporarily? Sometimes it works fine too, makes it even more strange. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Ok its unlikely to be your anti virus as security essentials isn't known for causing any problems.
    When you run the troubleshooter that probably renews all the IP addresses on your network or reboots your router so that will disconnect everything.
    Try the cable, then if that works ok without knocking any other computers off your network we know it's a wireless problem specific to your laptop.
    If thats what it is let me know and i'll try and talk you through a few things to try in your settings.
  • edited August 2013
    Switch off all your computers,then switch off your router.Leave for a few minutes ,then switch your router back on again! Then switch each computer on in turn. If that fails,try putting in a switch between your routers and computers! This means there will only be I connection from your router to the switch. Then all your computers can be connected to the switch. Make sure the switch has the required amount of connections. Get the switch from Maplins,be the cheapest. I use a Netgear Prosafe 8 Port Gigabit Switch Model GS108 Also ,have you got the N version of Router!
    Posted by wynne1938
    Hi Wynne,

The only reason to use a multi port hub like you suggested would be to extend a wired network if you dont have enough ports on your router.
    Unfortunately that wont help with his wireless issues.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Weird internet/laptop problem? : Hi Wynne, The only reason to use a multi port hub like you suggested would be to extend a wired network if you dont have enough ports on your router. Unfortunately that wont help with his wireless issues.
    Posted by MrJoeBlogs
    True!
  • edited August 2013

Thanx all for posting. 

Joe I will try the cable thing this evening and post up. 

Appreciate the help! 

Out of interest, (completely off topic) if I were to change ISP's from my existing one to say BT, how long does the transition from 1 to the other take? How long will I be without the internet for? 

Thanx again, will post later tonight. 
  • edited August 2013
    Thanx all for posting.  Joe I will try the cable thing this evening and post up.  Appreciate the help!  Out of interest, (completely off topic) if I were to change ISP's from my existing one to say BT, how long does the transition from 1 to the other take? How long will I be without the internet for?  Thanx again, will post later tonight. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    They can do a seemless switchover these days.
    BT would sort it all out for you, they send you a pre configured router and on a set day you plug it in turn on and away you go.
    A few years ago that use to be a lot of my work, setting up internet connections before they started to pre configure routers.
  • edited August 2013
    Yeh as Joe says, you won't be without internet at all if you switch over.

BT ftw!