You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Common mistakes

edited August 2013 in Poker Chat

What are the common mistakes you see people make?

Why is it wrong and what should they do instead?

Comments

• edited August 2013

Get married.
    Stay single.
  • edited August 2013
    Thinking there's only one way to play a hand. Mix it up a little!
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Common mistakes:
    Thinking there's only one way to play a hand. Mix it up a little!
    Posted by FCHD
    Obviously don't name them but are there players you play regularly who are easier to play against / read (and beat) because they play things in a 'standard' way?
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Common mistakes:
    What are the common mistakes you see people make? Why is it wrong and what should they do instead?
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Registering for a tourney in the first place :)
    Take up another Hobby? :)

or

raising or re-raising the minimum amount

It serves no purpose, because it's not building the pot enough and no one is ever folding leading to a multiway pot making what was a strong hand pre-flop much weaker.
  • edited August 2013
    bluffing when the story isn't believeable
  • edited August 2013
    limp calling, its so exploitable its not even funny.
  • edited August 2013

Over use of the call button. Raise or fold is the way to go

Bad bet sizing, either under or overbetting. Get it right to get the desired effect.

Failure to put opponent on a range of hands. Heard it so many times i put him on AK when there are so many hands they could have. Assign a possible range and play the hand with them all in mind not just one hand

Playing too many hands especially passively. Either be more aggressive or more selective
  • edited August 2013
    attempting to trap with premium pairs on micro stake MTT and cash tables.

reason
    knowing how loose villians can be on micro stakes you can get into deep trouble especially with KK and QQ.
    the trouble is the bets post flop don't tend to be large anyway unless they had more than just a pair
  • edited August 2013
    What are the common mistakes you see people make? Why is it wrong and what should they do instead?
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Limping.
    Betting too small.
    Playing poor hands especially out of position.
    Going all the way with bottom pair on the flop.

What should they do instead? Nothing, carry on tyvm.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Common mistakes : Limping. Betting too small. Playing poor hands especially out of position. Going all the way with bottom pair on the flop. What should they do instead? Nothing, carry on tyvm.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    Lol FlyingDagg you were doing all of these things that you say you see bad players doing you moron
  • edited August 2013
    Getting married to top pair, especially nut top pair. Easy example: AK
  • edited August 2013
    believing everything they read on the forum!
  • edited August 2013
    Getting married to top pair, especially nut top pair. Easy example: AK
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Anna
    Kornicova

Now thats a top pair :-)
  • edited August 2013
    Underestimating the importance of position

• edited August 2013
    Underestimating the importance of position
    Posted by calcalfold
    ^^^
    this
    i keep telling my brother about position he keeps sayin"yeah ok"then carries on as if iv,e not said owt
  • edited August 2013
    possitive tilt having a good session thinking u crush then when u come back play more hands then u should and lose :/
  • edited August 2013
    joining sky poker
  • edited August 2013
    Reloading the toilet roll holder the wrong way round, ie the tissue paper is hanging down the back and hard to reach.

Before leaving the bathroom after a paper change always double-check to make sure the paper is hanging down at the front in the correct position. 
  • edited August 2013
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Playing the cards dealt to them.
    They should be playing the cards up there sleeves of course ;-)
  • edited August 2013
    Reloading the toilet roll holder the wrong way round, ie the tissue paper is hanging down the back and hard to reach. Before leaving the bathroom after a paper change always double-check to make sure the paper is hanging down at the front in the correct position. 
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    you find this as well!

i'm sure someone sneeks in the house during the day just to turn them the wrong way round.
  • edited August 2013
    Playing on a tough site when softer ones are available.

Obviously everyone here is smart enough not to do that.
  • edited August 2013
    Most importantly, the toilet roll should hang down the back in the "Down The Wall" position, not the "Over The Top" position.

The reason for this is simple: Many toilet roll holders are too close to the wall and the added resistance of pulling the toilet roll over the top, coupled with the friction against the wall, can mean premature breaking of the toilet roll. This leaves the toilet user holding an insufficient length of roll to complete the task at hand.

What's that thing smitalos likes to say here?

/thread

lol
  • edited August 2013

There are a long list of common mistakes in poker. You name it: If there's a decision to be made, there's a way to get it wrong.

• edited August 2013
    a big mistake I did Monday and sunday was playing MTT at the same time as cash tables.
    with cash tables any random post flop bet seem easy enough to get the rest to fold as long as I did a raise preflop. with MTT on the other hand cbets in the early stages have much greater risk to my own stack as villians just don't feel the need to fold so it's not long before the mix up difference get tilt started because if I hit a set on the cash table the villain had did a reraise preflop so i'm thinking surely he has a decent enough hand but he decided to just check so I bet and what happens he folded then in the MTT I do a reraise preflop with my AQs  and a large bet on the flop J high and not even that was enough for the MTT villain to fold.

the difference in fold equity is massive in cash games and MTT games
  • edited August 2013
    Dont play games your not ready for just because it has a good pay out the regulars will crush you and you will be constantly posting bad beats