You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Good starting hands for Omaha Hi-LO??

edited August 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys,

I have just started to really get into Omaha Hi-Lo and i wanted to pick your brain as to what are good starting hands and advice on if to play.

I have figured (prob wrongly) that s suited ace is good as is ace 2 suited/unsuited and pocket pairs for fh potential.

However i was also told that 4 cards of the same suit is bad as this reduces the chance of making a flush.

Any tips appreciated as still finding my feet at this fun game which tends to tuen into bingo near the end lol

Cheers

D96

Comments

• edited August 2013
    FL or PL? Huge difference.
  • edited August 2013
    The best starting hand are hands that can win both pots.
    so AA23 AA2X AA3x AA45 and so on (even better double suited)
    Also A23K A2KK A234 are good starting hands.
    This doesnt mean you should fold good Omaha hands such as 10JQK KKQJ AQJ10 etc These hands can scoop the pot if there is no low available.
    4 cards of the same suit does decrease your outs but if you are dealt A23K suited its still a good hand pre.
  • edited August 2013
    PLO8 - & keeping it short

hands like AA23 double suited

top pair fwiw
    2 nut flush possibilities
    1st & 2nd nut low (in case you are counterfeited)

• edited August 2013
    Well no point learning Hi-Lo if you just play on sky, no tables run ever. Would love it if they did though!
  • edited August 2013
    1/=0
    20:25 £100 gtd 5.50 buyin is a nice tournament
  • edited August 2013

Firstly you need to be aware of the split pot aspect of the game without being controlled by it.
     The Hi pot always plays but there is not always a Lo pot so you dont want to be playing hands to win the Lo pot and then see a 9TK flop.

The game is played from the flop and that is when you know whether or not you want a Lo hand or not.

Will throw in a few pointers here to help.
     Anytime you have more than 2 of something in your hand it weakens it, either 3 of the same suit or 3 of a kind.
     Do not call big bets chasing a Lo draw only. You are calling hoping to get lucky and then to only actually get your chips back.

Th most important aspect of the pot is the Hi hand and not the Lo. There will always be a Hi hand and if you win that with no Lo available you get the lot. If you win it when there is a Lo available then you will be getting half the pot.

If i had to think of a hand to get it AIPF in PLO8 then a couple of hands would be AA45 ds but you should never overlook hands like AAKQ ds.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Good starting hands for Omaha Hi-LO??:
       Firstly you need to be aware of the split pot aspect of the game without being controlled by it.  The Hi pot always plays but there is not always a Lo pot so you dont want to be playing hands to win the Lo pot and then see a 9TK flop.  The game is played from the flop and that is when you know whether or not you want a Lo hand or not.  Will throw in a few pointers here to help.  Anytime you have more than 2 of something in your hand it weakens it, either 3 of the same suit or 3 of a kind.  Do not call big bets chasing a Lo draw only. You are calling hoping to get lucky and then to only actually get your chips back. The most important aspect of the pot is the Hi hand and not the Lo. There will always be a Hi hand and if you win that with no Lo available you get the lot. If you win it when there is a Lo available then you will be getting half the pot.  If i had to think of a hand to get it AIPF in PLO8 then a couple of hands would be AA45 ds but you should never overlook hands like AAKQ ds.
    Posted by Talon
    I find this the most intriguing part of the game because even though we have not seen the flop yet like you say there may actually be no low hand playing.
    But people also have a starting range to actually take into account the hi and the low.

I make you very correct where you must not just use the low to split but it would seem a lot players do use the low as a back up to at least split.

Would it make more sense to build a starting hand range that leans more towards double suited hi.

• edited August 2013
      I suppose the 2 biggest mistakes made at PLO8 are not knowing the difference between High and Hi and the massive overplaying of any hand that includes A2.

High is just high cards, pictures and Hi is the best hand available which can be as low as 23.

A2 is severely overplayed because people seem unable to fold it and without backup to win the Hi hand they are just hoping to get lucky in order to get their chips back.

The other aspect that needs to be looked at is the underused and yet very important tool of the underbet. Because most flops will go multiway the idea is to keep the other players in and not get it to heads up. Heads up pots tend to split a lot of the time because you will have each person playing for half the pot only.