You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

River Bet?

edited August 2013 in The Poker Clinic
1st hand of a dym looking for the best option as others would play it.
Is it better as it is a dym & the 1st hand to go for about the same as the turn or bit lower for more of guaranteed call or go for the max or somewhere in between.
I went for a different way than my usual just wanted to get others views mainly on river but over all as well.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
belsibub Small blind   10.00 10.00 1990.00
MICKMILLER Big blind   20.00 30.00 1980.00
  Your hole cards

TUMTETUM Fold        
big111styl Fold        
KHEERY32 Fold        

Raise   40.00 70.00 1960.00
belsibub Call   30.00 100.00 1960.00
MICKMILLER Call   20.00 120.00 1960.00
Flop

belsibub Check        
MICKMILLER Check        
  Bet   90.00 210.00 1870.00
belsibub Call   90.00 300.00 1870.00
MICKMILLER Fold        
Turn

belsibub Check        
  Bet   150.00 450.00 1720.00
belsibub Raise   450.00 900.00 1420.00
  Call   300.00 1200.00 1420.00
River

• K

Comments

• edited August 2013
    I think the whole hand is played fine.

I guess what you're essentially asking is if you should shove river?

Personally, I wouldn't.  In a DYM they may be OK calling the turn raise with an overpair.  However, once they're life is put on it, usually they find a fold.  I go to value town and bet 500-600.  You are much more likely to get a call with a flush or an overpair by betting smaller. 

In any other tournament i'd probably raise turn to 500 and jam river... however people get really nitty on DYMs and id much rather get the 600 than nothing.

• edited August 2013
    hi B
     Some would say don't bother playing level 1 without QQ+ but hey ho. Your set has popped up nd a full house to pot. Versus the unlikely 55 you're ahead of everything. I think you should raise 3x his flop bet for value and gain info too. Turn is fine and losing flush has hit. K on river now makes you a loser v 55, 77, kk but winning v flush and two pr hands.
    As it stands and for your call of flop the flush hitting for him is more likely though 77 is a possibility. If he bets half pot on river i call. If he ai's i worry though two pocket pairs hitting sets is very unlikely and nut flush may well feel he's ahead. Difficult decision. Maybe reads on the player are needed here about what he plays early ie in levels 1/2. By calling on the flop you must feel that you are ahead and wish him to hit. A card comes which justifies his play subsequently but why do i hav the feeling that he had 77 and he stacked you?
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: River Bet?:
    hi B  Some would say don't bother playing level 1 without QQ+ but hey ho. Your set has popped up nd a full house to pot. Versus the unlikely 55 you're ahead of everything. I think you should raise 3x his flop bet for value and gain info too. Turn is fine and losing flush has hit. K on river now makes you a loser v 55, 77, kk but winning v flush and two pr hands. As it stands and for your call of flop the flush hitting for him is more likely though 77 is a possibility. If he bets half pot on river i call. If he ai's i worry though two pocket pairs hitting sets is very unlikely and nut flush may well feel he's ahead. Difficult decision. Maybe reads on the player are needed here about what he plays early ie in levels 1/2. By calling on the flop you must feel that you are ahead and wish him to hit. A card comes which justifies his play subsequently but why do i hav the feeling that he had 77 and he stacked you?
    Posted by profman15
    My mtt game i may even 3-bet pre a min btn raise to be able to get it all by the river if not the turn on a good board.
    As played i am 1st to act on the river my norm game i go 1/2 pot.

Was praying for a fourth diamond on river felt he had bare ace of diamonds so my gut said check let him bluff but not brave enough.Did the TV all-in move all or nothing move and he folded.
  • edited August 2013
    I prefer a raise to 525-625 on the turn as played then shove the river. Only hand beating ya is KKK which could he could have here as played. But if he does ul!
  • edited August 2013
    Yes of course bet river
  • edited August 2013
    I prefer a raise to 525-625 on the turn as played then shove the river. Only hand beating ya is KKK which could he could have here as played. But if he does ul!
    Posted by Batkin88
    Yeah definitely lost 100-150 on the turn making a better pot size bet on river.
  • edited August 2013
    We've done a pretty good job in this hand of repping the flush by check-calling the flop and check-raising the diamond on the turn. We probably don't want to be repping the flush, though, as it's hard to get paid by anyone that isn't holding a flush themselves.

The fact that our opponent is the pre-flop raiser is definitely relevant here. It means that his range for betting the flop is likely to be mainly overcards and pairs. If he was a random caller, then his range for calling the flop could include a lot of diamond draws and we can get paid. However, because he's the pre-flop raiser, we should believe he's more likely to fear the flush than want to see it come in.

I'd prefer to check-raise the flop, then have the betting lead on turn and river. We can represent the draw by raising the flop and that allows us to get more money in the pot. There are so few made hands we'd be representing that our opponent is much more likely to think we're on the draw. If our opponent is on a random two overs, then he's going to fold but, unless we think that he's going to keep barrelling his bluffs through the streets, then he's not going to put much more money in anyway.

If we do think our opponent is playing a wide range and will keep barrelling, then we should probably check-call the turn and give him another chance to bluff the river by checking again. I don't play DYM's but I doubt there are too many players playing a very wide range and barrelling light on three streets.

So I'd say check-raising the flop is almost certainly best. It does depend on your own image, of course. If you're seen as someone that never semi-bluffs, then your opponent is more likely to give you credit for a hand. If that's your image, then you can easily exploit that by starting to semi-bluff more.

As played on the river, ask yourself how villain's calling range is affected by the shove compared to a smaller bet. In a cash game, if villain calls the shove with more than half of the hands he calls the half-shove bet, then the shove is better EV. DYM's are somewhat different because you're not really concerned with winning all the chips or squeezing your value spots.

The value of each chip actually decreases as your stack gets bigger. So the value of having 7k is only slightly greater than having 6k. On the other hand, the value of 3k is significantly greater than the value of 2k or even 2.5k.

That means that it's more beneficial to "lock-up" the value by betting an amount that's more likely to be called than it is to make what might be a slightly more +cEV (Expected Chip Value) spot in this type of game. So here, if we think we're only going to be called often enough to make the shove the slightly better play in terms of long-term cEV, then we should make the smaller bet. The value of the first 700 chips the villain puts in is greater to us than the value of the second 700...

...At least, that's how I see it. Some DYM beast will probably come along and tell me I'm talking nonsense soon. lol
  • edited August 2013

Raise flop for value 

Bet river
  • edited August 2013
    I think you played it fine.
    After he has called the turn check raise we now believe he has a hand.
    On the river, I'm betting around 600. I find not being too greedy in Dyms the best way for me. Every chip is so valuable. Often people are reluctant to call an all in and those 600 chips we might pick up puts us in a really strong position early on.

Not quite sure why we would raise flop Borin and Grantorino? We're simply folding out all his air, We're so strong here that we don't mind him catching up a little.
  • edited August 2013
    I think you played it fine. After he has called the turn check raise we now believe he has a hand. On the river, I'm betting around 600. I find not being too greedy in Dyms the best way for me. Every chip is so valuable. Often people are reluctant to call an all in and those 600 chips we might pick up puts us in a really strong position early on. Not quite sure why we would raise flop Borin and Grantorino? We're simply folding out all his air, We're so strong here that we don't mind him catching up a little.
    Posted by Jac35
    We raise flop for value imo
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: River Bet? : We raise flop for value imo
    Posted by grantorino
    I'm sorry but I'm not quite understanding this. If he has no hand, there's no value in raising.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: River Bet? : I'm sorry but I'm not quite understanding this. If he has no hand, there's no value in raising.
    Posted by Jac35
    You are correct.  Does he never have a hand here? Does he always continue turn with air
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: River Bet? : You are correct.  Does he never have a hand here? Does he always continue turn with air
    Posted by grantorino
    If he does have a hand we still have 2 more streets of betting to come from him.
    You're right in that he may well shut down on the turn with no hand. Still preferable IMO though to finishing the hand on the flop and not giving him the chance to hang himself 
  • edited August 2013
    We rep a weaker range when we check-raise the flop than when we check-raise the turn. We are more likely to be semi-bluffing a flush draw on the flop than on a non-diamond turn and, obviously, when we check-raise a diamond turn we're now repping a flush or better.

We probably make our opponent fold an unmade hand when we raise the flop but he's likely to put in quite a lot more on the flop with a made hand. Check-calling flop is fine if we think the villain's range is wide and he's going to barrel multiple streets with air. However, we want to give him the chance to bluff three streets if that's the case. We don't want to check-raise when the draw comes in because we narrow the range he can continue with.

If we check-raise the flop we can perhaps get it in against his value range and we can rep bluffs on the turn and river. If we check-call, we're at the mercy of him betting the turn and river. We don't want a situation that allows him to check-back turn and fold river on cards that miss him or cards that scare him. Those scare cards don't have to be diamonds, they could just be overs to his pair.

Raise the flop and we likely get a lot from his overpairs. Check-call the flop and we might get something from his bluffs, but we have to know he's the type to continue and we have to give him that opportunity.
  • edited August 2013
    Well, that's me told.

• edited August 2013
    Well, that's me told.
    Posted by Jac35
    Sorry... didn't mean to be snarky.