You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tournament ROI

edited August 2013 in Poker Chat
I play mainly Dyms on here and am pretty knowledgable on decent ROI's in them.

However, I don't have a clue when it comes to tournaments.
Can anyone give me an idea of what would be considered a good ROI in tourneys?

From a very small sample (197 games) I'm at 55% at them at the moment. These are at low stakes as well. I think my average buy in is about £6. I think I read on another thread someone having a ROI of around 100% which seems pretty insane.

A few years ago tournaments were all I played online and I've started to get the bug again.
Any help appreciated

Comments

• edited August 2013
    No idea, but 55% sounds really impressive and very healthy!

Nice one
  • edited August 2013

It will depend a lot on what your av buy in is and what site you play on. Also I would think about hourly rate, some people think they are amazing but are one tabling so while their ROI looks amazing, their hourly rate would not be!

What you could do is pick decent regs at the stakes you play and see what their ROI is.

I have no idea what a decent ROI would be, 55% would definitely be very impressive. There will always be players who have some crazy ROI over a small sample size. Maintaining it over a decent sample size is whats key along with playing enough tables to get a good enough hourly rate.

So in answer to your question, just like the answer to most poker questions, is it depends!

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Tournament ROI:
    It will depend a lot on what your av buy in is and what site you play on. Also I would think about hourly rate, some people think they are amazing but are one tabling so while their ROI looks amazing, their hourly rate would not be! What you could do is pick decent regs at the stakes you play and see what their ROI is. I have no idea what a decent ROI would be, 55% would definitely be very impressive. There will always be players who have some crazy ROI over a small sample size. Maintaining it over a decent sample size is whats key along with playing enough tables to get a good enough hourly rate. So in answer to your question, just like the answer to most poker questions, is it depends!
    Posted by MattBates
    Thanks Matt, good advice.
    The hourly rate is something I've been thinking about . I know what I can expect to make when I'm multitabling the Dyms but obviously with tourneys it's more variable.

As you say the stake size is key as well. A lower but still decent ROI at bigger stake tourneys would obviously provide greater returns than a higher one at low low stakes. 
    I was trying to think who the decent regs were on here mtt wise. Was struggling a bit so thought I might as well pick you!
    Very impressive mate! 
    Considering playing a lot of the tourneys around the £10 mark and looking at satting into the bigger ones. Decent plan?

• edited August 2013
    Only enter MTT's that Matt isn't registered for, otherwise this could dramatically effect your ROI :)
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Tournament ROI :  
    Considering playing a lot of the tourneys around the £10 mark and looking at satting into the bigger ones. Decent plan?
    Posted by Jac35
    perfect

biggest BR leak is to play the big tournaments direct. doesn't take a lot of £50 buy-ins without a cash to set off a nasty downswing, and even a min cash only gets you your money back

ps do as i say, not as i do, when it comes to BRM
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Tournament ROI : Thanks Matt, good advice. The hourly rate is something I've been thinking about . I know what I can expect to make when I'm multitabling the Dyms but obviously with tourneys it's more variable.     . As you say the stake size is key as well. A lower but still decent ROI at bigger stake tourneys would obviously provide greater returns than a higher one at low low stakes.  I was trying to think who the decent regs were on here mtt wise. Was struggling a bit so thought I might as well pick you! Very impressive mate!  Considering playing a lot of the tourneys around the £10 mark and looking at satting into the bigger ones. Decent plan?
    Posted by Jac35
    Yes excellent advice as ever from Matthew...although just remember Paul that live winnings from taking down an SPT will not show up on sharkscope - Matt may not be aware of this ;)
  • edited August 2013
    Minus ROI but in reasonable profit.

Meh.
  • edited August 2013
    seems ok I don't think the stats have a fair reflection until you get to around 1000 mtt's!

You only need one decent cash to give you a + ROI over 50/100 games.
  • edited August 2013
    fwiw, ~200 MTTs is very small sample size to draw any conclusions from.
    It all depends on your field size in your typical MTT. The more entrants, the higher the variance, the bigger sample size you need.

Google is your friend. Upwards of 1k is starting to get there for reasonable field size, but even then it's really hard to pin down an accurate ROI.
  • edited August 2013
    im on %183  not like me to brag :) 
  • edited August 2013
    Adam -good rubs
    IDCU - where you been? Surprised it took you so long! Tap in for you.
    Smitalos - Clearly this is a meaningless sample size, as I alluded to. My present ROI doesn't tell me anything, which is why I posed the question in the first place
    Trev - top advice
  • edited August 2013
    be disciplined my advice play lots of sattelites into the main even if u dnt sat in dnt play simples :)

thats what i do altho i can afford to buy in the main each nite i prefer to sat into the main event the feeling of winning a huge amount from a tiny sum is grrrrrrrrrrrreat i be doing the same in the ukops if i dnt sattelite in i wnt play em discipline :)
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Tournament ROI : Yes excellent advice as ever from Matthew...although just remember Paul that live winnings from taking down an SPT will not show up on sharkscope - Matt may not be aware of this ;)
    Posted by bromley04
    If I may make so bold, Adam, that is a rub of the higest order.

In the interest of balance, we now await a response from Mr Bates.

• edited August 2013
    be disciplined my advice play lots of sattelites into the main even if u dnt sat in dnt play simples :) thats what i do altho i can afford to buy in the main each nite i prefer to sat into the main event the feeling of winning a huge amount from a tiny sum is grrrrrrrrrrrreat i be doing the same in the ukops if i dnt sattelite in i wnt play em discipline :)
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Sorry to hijack your thread slightly Jac but I have a question for IDCU. You can afford to buy into the main directly each night but you couldn't afford to go to Newcastle SPT?
  • edited August 2013
    i can afford to go to newcastle just to far for me to travel its a 6 hr train journey and staying up there the nite etc i would need to min cash to cover my expenses so i didnt see the point so i sold my seat 
  • edited August 2013
    Who else can smell that?
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Tournament ROI : If I may make so bold, Adam, that is a rub of the higest order. 9.5. In the interest of balance, we now await a response from Mr Bates.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tyty sir although it seems as if Matthew is lost for words on this one!
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Tournament ROI : Tyty sir although it seems as if Matthew is lost for words on this one!
    Posted by bromley04
    Very lucky for you Adam that live winnings aren't included on sharkscope, oh...how was Vegas?

And yes, I am still very very bitter I wasn't in Vegas this year!

And I have only bricked 4 SPTs so far!
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Tournament ROI : Very lucky for you Adam that live winnings aren't included on sharkscope, oh...how was Vegas? And yes, I am still very very bitter I wasn't in Vegas this year! And I have only bricked 4 SPTs so far!
    Posted by MattBates
    nh sir...let's call it a split pot lol
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Tournament ROI : nh sir...let's call it a split pot lol
    Posted by bromley04
    This is why I have you both in my life!