You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Terrible poker advice

edited August 2013 in Poker Chat
Just heard this on 861.....

If you're tilting, all in sng's are a great way to let of steam!!!!!!

Comments

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Terrible poker advice:
    Just heard this on 861..... If you're tilting, all in sng's are a great way to let of steam!!!!!!
    Posted by Slykllist

Whats wrong with that if ya don't have a cat?  (Gotta be a poem there?)
  • edited August 2013
    I have a cat...... do I need to love her less?
  • edited August 2013
    It's just a phenomenal thing to see James say.....  I'm sure it was through gritted teeth.

James is a guy who really understands poker and from everybody I know who has met him I understand he's a thoroughly decent and eminently likeably guy. 

I just find it phenomenal that any socially responsible organisation would recommend all in sng's as a 'cure' for tilt!
  • edited August 2013
    Was it meant as a sort of desensitiser to bad beats, like people who say "if you think you're always getting outdrawn, go and try your hand at Omaha"?

Or just, 'ah go and spew a few quid you might bink one'?!

Didn't see it but former seems more likely.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Terrible poker advice:
    Was it meant as a sort of desensitiser to bad beats, like people who say "if you think you're always getting outdrawn, go and try your hand at Omaha"? Or just, 'ah go and spew a few quid you might bink one'?! Didn't see it but former seems more likely.
    Posted by bbMike
    Running with this.

It sure aided my desensitisation to suckouts and bad-beats when I played a solid volume of 5bb cash games.
    Yes, they exist.
    And yes, they're just as crazy as they sound.
    Many all-ins, statistical long-shots seen time and time again. Running up your 5bb stack up to 100bb (20BI) and seeing it all go down the sh itter in an AIPF flip.

Becoming desensitised to beats is wayyyyyy underrated imo. Those who find the emotional side to poker difficult to deal with at times, should see it as a skill to work on. Benefits galore!
  • edited August 2013
    Was it meant as a sort of desensitiser to bad beats, like people who say "if you think you're always getting outdrawn, go and try your hand at Omaha"? Or just, 'ah go and spew a few quid you might bink one'?! Didn't see it but former seems more likely.
    Posted by bbMike

This. With a healthy dose of cynical sarcasm.

The attitude being, if tilt is effecting your ability to make good decisions, then why not play a game where you don't have to make any decisions?!?

Remember when some of the cash regs used to play 4NL Omaha flips? I joined in a few of these sessions. It was an awesome way to chill out, relax and have fun.

Now, here's the important (and really boring) bit: I would never recommend ANYONE play ANY form of poker, if they don't have the moneyz.

• edited August 2013

Favourite film, James?

Oh wait, don't answer that, I don't have all day.

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Terrible poker advice : This. With a healthy dose of cynical sarcasm. The attitude being, if tilt is effecting your ability to make good decisions, then why not play a game where you don't have to make any decisions?!? Remember when some of the cash regs used to play 4NL Omaha flips? I joined in a few of these sessions. It was an awesome way to chill out, relax and have fun. Now, here's the important (and really boring) bit: I would never recommend ANYONE play ANY form of poker, if they don't have the moneyz.
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Hi James
    Unlike your film reviews.........:) I for one, at least knew what you were talking about when you said "they are a great way to let of steam" but these days it seems like we have to say "Terms & Conditions May Apply" after every sentence :)

I watch the show a lot and it's also quite common to here presenters/analysts advertising the Bounty Hunter Tournaments and saying something like "Bounty Hunter Tournaments are a great way of building your bankroll" but do we really need to start saying ""Terms & Conditions May Apply" just because peeps might misunderstand what is involved?

Bounty Hunter Tournaments "Terms & Conditions"
    Please be aware that whilst Bounty Hunter
    Tournaments can be a great way of building a "Bank Roll" there is also a risk that you may lose money. The risk factors associated with any losses may include, but are not limited to "Poor Ability, Bad Luck, Bad Beats, Downswings, Variance and many more.
    Gamble Aware** You are not advised to play if you cannot afford to lose. :)

BTW -  I jumped straight onto the russian roulette tables last night after hearing your comments and lost £1.05 I do feel much better, but - Is there any way I can get my money back? #runbetter :)
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Terrible poker advice : This. With a healthy dose of cynical sarcasm. The attitude being, if tilt is effecting your ability to make good decisions, then why not play a game where you don't have to make any decisions?!? Remember when some of the cash regs used to play 4NL Omaha flips? I joined in a few of these sessions. It was an awesome way to chill out, relax and have fun. Now, here's the important (and really boring) bit: I would never recommend ANYONE play ANY form of poker, if they don't have the moneyz.
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    I didnt see 861 last night, but i often play 5-10 £1 Russian Roulettes when im having a bad day to as you say chill out. 

I'd recommend it to anyone, i find it mega exciting. 
  • edited August 2013
    £1 Russian roulettes are great to let off some steam. (so long as you have the BR to afford losing £10-£20) If you're a 10p/20p reg and you go on tilt, you could easily end up losing £40-£60, whereas if you decide to play £1 russian roulette on tilt, you're not going to lose near that much. Statistically you'll only be losing £1 every 10 flips, which is a big improvement on how much you might lose every 10 hands if you're really tilting whilst playing cash.
  • edited August 2013