You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Michael Owen signs for Man UTD!

edited August 2009 in The Shed
Views anyone?

Does this mean he will work his way into contention for the 2010 World Cup squad?

Toffee and Hammer fans are you that bothered he didnt sign for you?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    i think he could work his way into the england squad, fergie will know how many games to play him in and keep him fit so i think its a good signing and if he bags 15 goals il be happy. but  my opinion is that all the england forwards we have need to step up there game, so i exspect good seasons from all the english forwards.
  • edited July 2009
    I've got to say it's split opinion amongst the Liverpool fans in the Sky Poker office this morning! One of them in particular is sulking about their home-grown hero finding his way to manchester, whereas another one reckons Owen couldn't have gone anywhere else after Fergie came calling.
  • edited July 2009
    In my opinion as a Liverpool fan there are two words to describe Owen.

Past it.

A few years ago i would've loved him back at Anfield but i don't think he'll score ten goals for them this season.
  • edited July 2009
    its a great signing!!!

michael owen on a free transfer.....result!!!

if he stays fit its great for united!

• edited July 2009
    'No lose' situation for United. He's a free transfer on a low wage, so no financial loss if he gets injured and Fergie still has money to spend. He'll earn more in bonuses if he plays and scores, but that's a fair deal in my opinion.

And if he plays to his true potential, he'll bag a fair few goals. He'll be as enthusiastic to perform, as the kids trying to break into first team and at 29, isn't exactly over the hill.

And Fergie gets the best out of 'risky' players - Larsson, Sheringham, Cantona.
  • edited July 2009
    Good points disco but i think the difference between those players and Owen is that those players were good and in form when they were signed despite the "risk". For instance Larsson had scored hundreds of goals for Celtic, Owen on the other hand wasn't able to score when Newcastle really needed it in spite of the service he got.

I believe he will spend most of his time on the bench or injured.

But i suppose we shall find out soon enough.
  • edited July 2009
    I doubt  he'll nick Rooney or Berba's place, but he'll be handy to have when we need third striker if we need a late goal.
  • edited July 2009
    owen stil had a decent scoring record for newcastle despite his injuries.

good signing and will certainly add more then berbatov has done, and is a traditional striker who will always be in the box looking to finish off anything that comes his way.

Now just add another striker, a goalscoring centre mid and a decent winger (perhaps arjen robben is worth a shot) and united will have gone some way to filling the massive hole that ronaldo filled.
  • edited July 2009
    other than injuries, the other problem Owen had at Newcastle was a lack of service from midfield.

I agree with Disco, it's a win-win situation for Utd. They've picked up a player who can score goals for no outlay & if they end up paying him big bonuses then he's doing what they need to do.

I would've liked him at Upton Park but obviously Gianfranco has other ideas
  • edited July 2009

its a strange one because im not sure owen is premier league standard let alone good enough for man ure. I would certainly be worried if owen is to be considered a replacement for tevez were i a utd fan. Then again maybe fergie wanted to rival wenger for most bizzare signing after Arsenal got silvestre last year, they are pretty competitive!

• edited August 2009
    He should be in the England squad, But i think he should never have gone to Man Utd