You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HU4ROLLZ m888?! - The Death of HU...?

edited August 2013 in Poker Chat
Shocked that no-one has been interested to post their thoughts on this topic yet.

I'll do a proper reply later Smitty when I finish the grind.

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Ranking 4th in online poker traffic, big-shots 888.com have made a contraversial ruling to remove all HU tables, as of late last week.
    In what's been seen as a decision to improve the liquity in their player pool, the reaction from the poker community has been as suspected, polarizing. 888 echoed the speculation from the players, justifying it as an improvement to the long-term sustainability of the site.
    When E-mailing Customer Support, one purported reply reads:

"Dear XXX,

Thank you for contacting us.

My name is YYY and I will be assisting you with your query today.

XXX, I am in receipt of your e-mail and I will like to advise you that 888poker has made the business decisions to remove the Heads Up cash games. At 888poker we strive to maintain a competitive and fun poker atmosphere for our players and as such we continuously review the variety of games we offer, and take the necessary steps to ensure that our players’ experience stays enriched. 888poker continues to increase its players base as we stay focused on meeting our overall player expectations. In keeping with our strategy to make our poker room more competitive and more fun, we have made the decision to remove this type of game.

I do apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

XXX, I hope that I have successfully answered your query. May I take this chance to wish you the very best of luck. If there is anything that I can do for you then please contact us anytime and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

YYY
    Member Support Representative
    http://www.888p***r.com"

This begs the question, are 888.com the first of many sites to make this move? Are HU games a thing of the past? What are your thoughts on this bold move, and should Sky be looking to do the same?

Discuss.
  • edited August 2013
    The start of a trend for many online poker sites,should of started long before now imo.Ive noticed that sky have stopped hu cash for Omaha and hi lo Omaha so next stage is nlh cash ROLL IT OUT SKY
  • edited August 2013
    I've often thought they were a bit of an indulgence - as I type this there are 60 Heads Up tables in the lobby, with precisely one, yes one, game going on - at 5p/10p. Even that was inactive when i started this message and a second player only sat down while I was typing.

Five different players are sitting at £1.50/£3 tables on their own.

And, by the time I've finished typing this, the 5p/10p game has broken too.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: HU4ROLLZ m888?! - The Death of HU...?:
    I've often thought they were a bit of an indulgence - as I type this there are 60 Heads Up tables in the lobby, with precisely one, yes one, game going on - at 5p/10p. Even that was inactive when i started this message and a second player only sat down while I was typing. Five different players are sitting at £1.50/£3 tables on their own. And, by the time I've finished typing this, the 5p/10p game has broken too.
    Posted by FCHD
    Sadly, bumhunting will always be a problem in all forms of poker. But as you've demonstrated, HU is where it's most prevalent. The degree to which some players (both on and off Sky) will go to ensure they only play extremely bad players disgusts me tbh. It's bad for pokers image, and its future too imo.

I really hope Sky see this thread and at LEAST consider taking similar action.

HU tables see very little rake produced, and sap recreational players' money quickly than any other form of the game. The only people I can imagine lobbying for the continuation of HU tables are the bumhunters themselves.

Do I personally enjoy some HU from time to time? Sure. Especially in Mix.
    Would I choose to eliminate all HU tables given the chance? In a heartbeat.

There's almost no other form of the game where you can bumhunt like you can in HU Cash. It's borderline impossible in MTTs, and still pretty difficult in SnGs. Even in 6max Cash you're forced to play 4 other players if you want to prey on the weak.

Big chance for Sky to help lead the way. Would love to see it here too.
  • edited August 2013
    Checked again, and not a single game going again. No one even wants to play Zing at £5/£10