You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Heads-up tables

edited August 2013 in Poker Chat

Partly inspired by the thread by Smitalos (did we really say that - lol)...

Heads-up is obviously a much debated area in the world of poker which we, other sites and players have discussed a lot. Some say it's the purest form of the game, others say it is bad for the 'health' of the site because of some of the things it 'encourages'.

When answering this, please give your thoughts as well as your ideas, especially if you answer 'Yes, but don't remove them'

So...

Comments

• edited August 2013

This will no doubt be an interesting thread which divides opinion but do remember to keep it civil. It is a hot topic but not worth falling out over!
  • edited August 2013
    Keep them... but make them anonymous/random seating so that the bumhunting element is removed... then everyone is happy... sort of... as happy as poker players can be...
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Heads-up tables:
    Keep them... but make them anonymous/random seating so that the bumhunting element is removed... then everyone is happy... sort of... as happy as poker players can be...
    Posted by shakinaces
    This has been attempted on other sites and still doesn't fix the problem (of bumhunting).
  • edited August 2013
    No-one (or virtually no-one) uses them, so I think it is a sensible idea to remove them. After all, other things have been removed from the site due to lack of volume
  • edited August 2013
    No-one (or virtually no-one) uses them, so I think it is a sensible idea to remove them. After all, other things have been removed from the site due to lack of volume
    Posted by FCHD
    Exactly.

If you're going to remove 10man Cash tables (where they saw a little action each day), you have to remove HU on the same basis. I don't think this is a particularly great reason to remove them, but ya know, principles are principles.

S'more about how bad they are for the poker economy AND community.
  • edited August 2013
    Remove and add what you want, but if you want volume you need to ignore the regulars you're so scared of losing and go all out to encourage new members.

For evey one reg that spends £300 a month there are 50 UK poker players who spend £2000 a month, but right now Skypoker is not seen as an option.
  • edited August 2013
    Remove and add what you want, but if you want volume you need to ignore the regulars you're so scared of losing and go all out to encourage new members. For evey one reg that spends £300 a month their are 50 UK poker players who spend £2000 a month, but right now Skypoker is not seen as an option.
    Posted by OHIMGOOD
    English please.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Heads-up tables : English please.
    Posted by Smitalos
    It is English and its quite clear to understand. Players like you are now holding Skypoker back. You want Skypoker to stay as it is because you think its soft. Increase the numbers and you wont like it.
  • edited August 2013
    Remove and add what you want, but if you want volume you need to ignore the regulars you're so scared of losing and go all out to encourage new members. For evey one reg that spends £300 a month their are 50 UK poker players who spend £2000 a month, but right now Skypoker is not seen as an option.
    Posted by OHIMGOOD

a) I don't really see what that has to do with the Heads Up Cash tables

b) Spending £2000 a month on online poker? They must be loaded then! And, therefore, I don't think there's that many of them!
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Heads-up tables : a) I don't really see what that has to do with the Heads Up Cash tables b) Spending £2000 a month on online poker? They must be loaded then! And, therefore, I don't think there's that many of them!
    Posted by FCHD
    Join 888,-stars-ipoker etc and use Sharkscope...............There are A LOT of players based in the UK that can afford to lose or play thousands a month. The point being, when do you stop listening to people who are more interested in themselves than they are the site.

Sky is not a big site considering the size of Sky and its potential reach. If Skypokers numbers quadrupled we would all benefit.
  • edited August 2013
    OK, I still doubt that many people can afford to lose that much regularly but I'll take your word for it.

So, who is interested in themselves than they are the site? Those who "bumhunt" the HU Cash Tables? It sure ain't Smitalos, despite the fact this is probably the first issue I've ever agreed with him/her on, he/she seems to have the best for the site at heart.

Yes, the need to attract new members is an issue of major importance, but to "ignore your regulars" is a very dangerous strategy for any business, even Sky Poker.
  • edited August 2013
    Are we talking cash heads up or sit & go heads up ???
  • edited August 2013

'Rent a table' ?

Pay an hours worth of rake up front to get a table for an hour, (activated from when sum1 else joins)

Can leave or top up at anytime..........

any1 can join, good/bad/ugly.

U can play, or leave and sacrifice ur rent ;)

• edited August 2013
    i agree with shakinaces on this one, making tables anonymous seems best way to go with heads up sit n go's and cash.

Gl all at the tables
  • edited August 2013
    'Rent a table' ? Pay an hours worth of rake up front to get a table for an hour, (activated from when sum1 else joins) Can leave or top up at anytime.......... any1 can join, good/bad/ugly. U can play, or leave and sacrifice ur rent ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Good idea in theory but how do you determinr an hours worth of rake up front when rake depends on the size of the pots?? 

I like playing HU but honestly never bother on sky anymore because it's boring sitting on a table waiting forever for someone to join. And when they do it's so often a shortstack where it just isn't worth the time to win their stack! 

I used to play it more a few years ago when I played higher stakes. Best session was one afternoon at 2/4 where I rinsed Sparce for 6k!! I think 25p/50p and up you can still keep HU tables but below that I don't think it sees enough action.
  • edited August 2013
    Will address all posts and the points within them when I return from the grind. Just as a matter of importance though...

Removing HU games would BENEFIT the site, and the recreational players too. (the latter usually leading to the former)
  • edited August 2013
    I think 25p/50p and up you can still keep HU tables but below that I don't think it sees enough action.

yet the only ones going 10 minutes ago (and the only ones I've seen actually with 2 players on them after several trawls since early afternoon) were 1 at 5p/10p and another at 10p/20p
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Heads-up tables : Good idea in theory but how do you determinr an hours worth of rake up front when rake depends on the size of the pots??  I like playing HU but honestly never bother on sky anymore because it's boring sitting on a table waiting forever for someone to join. And when they do it's so often a shortstack where it just isn't worth the time to win their stack!  I used to play it more a few years ago when I played higher stakes. Best session was one afternoon at 2/4 where I rinsed Sparce for 6k!! I think 25p/50p and up you can still keep HU tables but below that I don't think it sees enough action.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    just take the avg rake paid per hour over the huge sample of hands HU hands that have been dealt on sky, then maybe half it, and charge that.

Meet half way, to encourage action.
  • edited August 2013
    Are HU Cash tables not pointless due to the Rake?

After an hour if both players won the exact same amount, they would be down a fortune.
  • edited August 2013
    Are HU Cash tables not pointless due to the Rake? After an hour if both players won the exact same amount, they would be down a fortune.
    Posted by LARSON7
    This is no different to any form of cash poker. On any cash table you need to be good enough to beat your opponents AND the rake otherwise you aint a winning player.

HU is the same, you do pay a lot of rake, but if you have an edge over an opponent then there's a ton of money to be made. This is obv why loads of people bumhunt and wait for people they know they have an enourmous edge against and likewise why they refuse to play anyone half decent because even if they think they are slightly better, their edge will be small, results will likely be more swingy and they'll just be winning less £££ per hour.
  • edited August 2013
    why cant the cash hu table spawn like the husng tables?

if a new table was spawned only when the others were filled would that not force people to play for the right to sit the lobby?

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited August 2013

I was just thinking this through when something occured to me. How would any of you feel if you went to your local supermarket to buy some biscuits and found out that they now only stock one brand because the outsold the other brands significantly?

Annoyed is my guess because your options and choices have been taken away from you. This may even be the brand you wanted but now you have had your power of choice removed from you. This is how i see this situation. If you remove HU tables then you remove choice from the people wishing to play. Limiting the choices and options of someone is never a good thing, and more choice (up to a limit of course) is better.

I personally dont play HU for my own reasons and i am happy about this. I am also happy about the fact that if i wanted to i have the choice to do so.

In the end who are any of us to limit the choices and options of others just because of our own personal feelings about them.
  • edited August 2013
    doesn't matter hu or 6 max people just chase the easy money

just the way poker is

And if any poker player says otherwise then your a liar
    if you identify the spot at the table you go after them, you all do it.
    The weak will be chased and devoured.

I feel quite insulted when a poker player state's they don't bum hunt, subconsiously we all do it.

• edited August 2013
    Any profitable poker player is a bum hunter.

Im always open about the concept that if you wanna make money at anything in life you have to look for people spending money. Poker is no different.

Profitable players who say they dont bum hunt are liars or dillusional. This is especially true to any reg on sky as the only reason a reg would play on sky is that it is the softest site out there. Although its no where near as soft as it used to be.

As for hu, the problem is the ridiculous looking lobby. If you limit hu tables to 2 per person the chance of catching a player who is spending money is still the same. But the lobby is a lot better looking.
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Heads-up tables : This has been attempted on other sites and still doesn't fix the problem (of bumhunting).
    Posted by Smitalos
    Why, in your opinion doesn't this fix the problem of bumhunting?
  • edited August 2013
    Private rooms for the win!
    Set up a system where you can create your own room from 2-10 seats
    and invite your friends to play
    I'm fed up trying to set up a game with mates cos as soon asyou set up a table someone else dives in and you have to open up another table to play the persons you intended to play
  • edited August 2013
    It is English and its quite clear to understand.
    I must have read your initial post about 5 times now, and I still have no idea what you're trying to get across.
    Players like you are now holding Skypoker back. You want Skypoker to stay as it is because you think its soft.
    How am I holding Sky back? I don't want Sky to 'stay as it is'. I want it to evolve with the competition, which is the main reason I brought attention to this issue. 6max games would no doubt get harder if HU was abolished, so how does this benefit me, exactly? Even so, I relish competition.
    Substantiate your claims. Correcting you constantly is tedious and extremely boring.
    Increase the numbers and you wont like it.
    by OHIMGOOD
    I care deeply about the longevity of online poker, and I'll lobby for anything that'll benefit the poker community as a whole.
    Do you see me whining about the lack of Rake Races here on Sky? Complaining about the cuts to Priority Club, or how the new C4P/Rewards system hurts regs like me, whilst benefitting recreational players?
    No.
    Objectivity. I recommend it.
    'Rent a table' ?

Pay an hours worth of rake up front to get a table for an hour, (activated from when sum1 else joins)

Can leave or top up at anytime..........

any1 can join, good/bad/ugly.

U can play, or leave and sacrifice ur rent ;)
    by DOHHHHHHH
    While I'm a HUGE fan of the ol' "every idea's a good idea!"...
    This one just wouldn't fly man. So many problems introducing a format like this. Will elaborate if asked to do so.
    Are HU Cash tables not pointless due to the Rake?

After an hour if both players won the exact same amount, they would be down a fortune.
    by LARSON7
    Word from the wise, avoid double negatives dude. Your question is ambiguous, and potentially confusing.
    I guess we're trying to discuss how the relatively speaking high rake in HU games, leaves little room for players with a decent edge to emerge winners?
    Long story short, this is why you'll rarely see regs play each other HU. Small edge - Rake = Not worth playing (to most HU regs)
    Lambert180 said it best.
    why cant the cash hu table spawn like the husng tables?

if a new table was spawned only when the others were filled would that not force people to play for the right to sit the lobby?

cheers, TEDDY
    by TeddyBloat
    Sadly, this wouldn't force regs to play each other. It would be a manic game of 'Musical Chairs', regs rushing to try and be the first to get on the only spawned-in tables, waiting for recreational players to sit. Knowing the structure, the strongest HU players in a given player pool would play anyone. Eventually, the weaker regs would learn to leave as soon as the best HU player sat-down, resulting in an extremely unfair system whereby 1 player could occupy all spawned tables. In an Alpha-Male esque dominance of the only spawned tables, the best HU player would get to play all the recs themselves, every time.
    Good idea, just not one that would work in this instance I'm afraid.
    Shocking explanation ik, it's 4:30am. Apologies.
    I was just thinking this through when something occured to me. How would any of you feel if you went to your local supermarket to buy some biscuits and found out that they now only stock one brand because the outsold the other brands significantly?

Annoyed is my guess because your options and choices have been taken away from you. This may even be the brand you wanted but now you have had your power of choice removed from you. This is how i see this situation. If you remove HU tables then you remove choice from the people wishing to play. Limiting the choices and options of someone is never a good thing, and more choice (up to a limit of course) is better.

I personally dont play HU for my own reasons and i am happy about this. I am also happy about the fact that if i wanted to i have the choice to do so.

In the end who are any of us to limit the choices and options of others just because of our own personal feelings about them.
    by Talon
    The analogy here is extremely poor, as it fails to take into consider the negatives of 'offering your favourite biscuits'. It would work if we were referring to the lack of Full-Ring tables on the site, sure. There are limited noticable repercusions to removing these tables in favour of a strictly 6max format. The HU tables are completely different, however. Games rarely run resulting in a small intake of rake for the site, players refuse to play one another, the weaker competition are allowed to be winning players using "game selection", bumhunting is bad for the longevity of the game AND pokers image.
    This issue isn't purely a matter of personal opinion, but objective forethought, as how to benefit the poker economy and community.
    If your argument is strung up on limitations, you'd have to address every other form of poker that isn't currently offered on Sky. Do variations deserve a chance on Sky? Sure. Is HU one of them? Absolutely not.

just the way poker is

Speak for yourself.
    Less wild, provocative generalisations please.

I feel quite insulted when a poker player state's they don't bum hunt, subconsiously we all do it.
    by rancid
    Which is the exact reason why I'm trying to press this issue and make people aware of the current problem w/HU online poker.
    HU games humiliate and alienate recreational players, while allowing outright terrible regs to 'game-select' so that they're a winning player at any given stake.
    Case in point, a vast majority of regs here could beat 100kNL HU if they only decided to play Guy Laliberte and refused to take action from anyone else.
    Any profitable poker player is a bum hunter.

Im always open about the concept that if you wanna make money at anything in life you have to look for people spending money. Poker is no different.

Profitable players who say they dont bum hunt are liars or dillusional. This is especially true to any reg on sky as the only reason a reg would play on sky is that it is the softest site out there. Although its no where near as soft as it used to be.

As for hu, the problem is the ridiculous looking lobby. If you limit hu tables to 2 per person the chance of catching a player who is spending money is still the same. But the lobby is a lot better looking.
    by AJS4385
    I've honestly not seen a post more wrong than this in a very long time. So many fallacious arguments I don't even know where to begin. Will tackle it tomorrow as it's already 5am.
    Absolutely appalled at your rationalisations, AJS. 'Disgusted' would be an understatement.
    Why, in your opinion doesn't this (anonymous tables) fix the problem of bumhunting?
    by Jac35
    It's demonstrably unsuccessful at eliminating bumhunting on other sites. Bumhunting for the most part isn't a reliant on realising familiar names of good opponents, HUD stats on prior competition, or notes on how they play.
    It's about sitting down with someone, playing a small number of hands, and deciding whether or not they're a rec, or a reg.
    Play as few as 20 hands of HU, and most people will already have a rough idea of your skill level. If you're 3beting frequently and with good consistant sizing. If you fold your bb a reasonable for a min-raise, prolly a reg. If you check-raise your semi-bluffs or show a capability for thin value bets, prolly a reg. etc etc the list could go on.

Anonymous tables fail because people can STILL game-select and instantly avoid regs.
    Private rooms for the win! Set up a system where you can create your own room from 2-10 seats and invite your friends to play I'm fed up trying to set up a game with mates cos as soon asyou set up a table someone else dives in and you have to open up another table to play the persons you intended to play
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH
    The post was probably in jest? But just in case it wasn't, Private rooms would be a disaster. Will expand on this if you'd wish me to do so, tomorrow.

gg gn peeps. I'm knacked.
  • edited August 2013
    See your point regarding table spawning. I guess with husng once someone sits your table you cannot instastand innit. I dont really understand why empty hu tables reduce liquidity. Is it because the bumhunters hoover-up weak players money in a short amount of time then refuse action in other forms of the game? 

Cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: HU Tables:

just the way poker is

Speak for yourself.
    Less wild, provocative generalisations please.

by rancid

Which is the exact reason why I'm trying to press this issue and make people aware of the current problem w/HU online poker.
    HU games humiliate and alienate recreational players, while allowing outright terrible regs to 'game-select' so that they're a winning player at any given stake.
    Case in point, a vast majority of regs here could beat 100kNL HU if they only decided to play Guy Laliberte and refused to take action from anyone else.
    The problem is within poker Smit, it's just not HU. HU just makes it look unsavoury.
    If I told you their was a player at 5/10 shoving ATC every hand would you sit at that table.
    Well you would be mad not to sit wouldn't you.
    Why do poker players go and play weaker players from table selecing at nl10 through to businessman selecting in macou.

What your saying is it is unfair to the rec player who chooses to sit down at a hu table.
    Well I think they should have that choice.
    If someone wants to sit down and play HU then how does this affect you Smit.

What are the negative implaications for poker/ Sky and you if HU tables remain and bumhunting contnues.
    I don't think anyone can quantify that.

Is this just a self serving mission to get these recs on 6 max tables and take away the rec's option to sit at HU.
    So essentially everyone can take from the rec equally.
    I mean Smit we don't want these players to leave the site, so we want them on 6 max tables !

So what's in it for you Smit, you just want a share of the money by forcing them onto 6 max tables ?

O btw their is a player at 5/10 happy to get it with TPNK, anyone fancy joining this table ?
    Or you could join the other one with Style and all the other regs.

mmmmmmmmmmmm

• edited August 2013
    Most of the people who play poker, play it because they want to make some money (Whether they actually do or not is irrelevant). Someone's favourite game might be STTs, someone else Cash etc, but some people prefer to play HU. With HU, you obviously get to choose if you play another player or not. If they are better than you or of the same ability why would you want to play them?

How many people on this thread/poll would go and play £1/£2 or £2.50 / £5 HU cash games? Very few, so why does everyone care? To me it just stinks of the green eyed monster, seeing someone sat at a table for a few hours, then suddenly playing 1 person and making the amount of money it would take them a week at work to earn.

Players put money on the table knowing very well it's there to be won, if they want to play a high stakes HU player then that's their choice, I don't see why they should be told they can't choose thieir opponent, or even not be able to play HU at all.