You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Huge overbet....too much so?

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
hopp Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £38.81
stanley08 Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £19.50
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

vjj Call  £0.50 £1.25 £23.10
YogiTheDog Call  £0.50 £1.75 £52.69
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £3.00 £4.75 £105.82
xxx Call  £3.00 £7.75 £139.85
hopp Fold     
stanley08 Fold     
vjj Fold     
YogiTheDog Call  £2.50 £10.25 £50.19
Flop

• J

YogiTheDog Check     
DOHHHHHHH Bet  £7.50 £17.75 £98.32
xxx Call  £7.50 £25.25 £132.35
YogiTheDog Fold     
Turn

• A

DOHHHHHHH Check     
xxx Check     
River

DOHHHHHHH All-in  £98.32 £123.57 £0.00
xxx Fold     
DOHHHHHHH Muck     
DOHHHHHHH Win  £122.31  £122.31

Comments

• edited December 2009

What do u guys bet on the river here? I went for the lot......maybe rushed into it, he has a big stack, doubled his buy in, and doesn't have a huge amount invested.

I was sure the river card was my money card. - Rushed into the overbet and probably looked too strong! Maybe I shud have bet double the pot rather than move all in? Or a standard V bet?

DOHH

• edited December 2009
    This sometimes works, but mainly as a bluff. I would probably make a value bet of 1/2 - 3/4 pot and hope that Villain has the nut flush or a lower FH and will raise or call. I, personally, would pass the nut flush here as everytime someone does this to me, they generally have it. :)
  • edited December 2009
    Hi m8

Yup, I think I wud av bet the valoooooooo half to 3 quarts too if he does go over the top with the flush you got him, if he folds nothing lost anyway :)
  • edited December 2009
      I understand the size of the bet is to make it look like a bluff steal attempt which could be called by anyone who has a big flush. My only concern is that you did it with the third nuts so therefore you could have been maximising your losses in this hand as well.

But overall i think it is a good bet that will get paid off a lot by anyone with a flush.
  • ybyb
    edited December 2009
    Hi mate,

With both of you being reasonably deep, if I was the other player I'd be pretty sure you had the goods for you to go all-in on the river (like at least the nut flush, if not full house). With certain players this move works, there are some who will call a massive overbet with pretty much anything so it depends what notes you have on your opponent I guess. But without previous knowledge I think I'm going for a bet about 1 and a half times the pot here. He probably had either the jack or flush draw to call you on the flop (though with the jack he might well have raised), and if he's just got the jack he's going to fold to any bet you make here so I'd be going for a reasonably large bet and hoping he's got a decent flush to pay you off with.
  • edited December 2009
    I think a smaller bet is in order, if he doesnt have a club your getting nothing out of him how ever much you bet, if he has a smaller full house he re-raises you putting you on a flush, so either way what ever you bet you get nothing or him all in.

I think the best thing you can do here is bet very small (about £4 - £5) this way he may pay you off, or thinks your weak and re-raises to represent.
  • edited December 2009
    i bet about half of the pot and hope he will shove over the top with a flush/bluff.
  • edited December 2009
    Nothing wrong with the bet, on that board he's either folding to any bet or calling any bet imho.
  • edited December 2009
    I like it.

The move of honour.

Done by few, respected by all.
  • edited December 2009
    He probably not even got a club so the overbet has come off bad in this situation mate, by the book says 3/4pot bet, to extract some more off of him.

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Huge overbet....too much so?:
    He probably not even got a club so the overbet has come off bad in this situation mate, by the book says 3/4pot bet, to extract some more off of him.
    Posted by HartshorN
    but he's not calling w/o a club sooooo
  • edited December 2009

I bet the pot, if he's got the king he may even come over the top of me? if he has no club he isn't calling anything (and shouldn't be there lol) and if he has a smaller house, say Jacks over 3's then again he may min -raise my pot bet thinking he's getting value