You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Other Kinda Spot

edited August 2013 in The Poker Clinic
This is the other kinda spot I was talking about (mentioned in my other thread)....

Do we wanna be raising the flop here and trying to GII w/ 2 overs, the NFD a GS to the nuts or do we wanna be flatting to ensure the villian behind comes along?

Inb4 any questions my action pre. I 4bet this spot a high % of the time, but I do occasionally just peel the 3bet sometimes.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
TheJudge14 Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £65.93
BobTheBee Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £40.63
rancid Sit out        
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

walks2311 Fold        
Lambert180 Raise   £0.60 £0.90 £27.65
TheJudge14 Call   £0.50 £1.40 £65.43
BobTheBee Raise   £2.00 £3.40 £38.63
Lambert180 Call   £1.60 £5.00 £26.05
TheJudge14 Call   £1.60 £6.60 £63.83
Flop

• Q

TheJudge14 Check        
BobTheBee Bet   £3.60 £10.20 £35.03
Lambert180 Call   £3.60 £13.80 £22.45
TheJudge14 Call   £3.60 £17.40 £60.23
Turn

• Q

TheJudge14 Check        
BobTheBee Check        
Lambert180 Check        
River

TheJudge14 Bet   £17.40 £34.80 £42.83
BobTheBee Fold        
Lambert180 Fold        
TheJudge14 Muck        
TheJudge14 Win   £16.53   £59.36
TheJudge14 Return   £17.40 £0.87 £76.76

Comments

• edited August 2013

Depends, if we have any of the villains labelled as calling stations then flatting the flop is probably the better play. Otherwise I'm just raising the flop for sure!

• edited August 2013
    like you said I 4bet get it in pre here high% of time.

but as played think i`m defo raising flop nearly always.
  • edited August 2013
    stick em in £10 pot £20 behind - no brainer
  • edited August 2013

Okay, how much of our opponents' ranges fold to a raise here and how much equity do we have against the hands that call?

Against a bare Queen we're actually a favourite, though not by a huge margin. We don't mind being called all-in but our fold equity makes the raise uber-profitable. We have to be up against two-pair or better to actually be a dog in this hand.

If you're asking a more general question about semi-bluffing situations, then it's just a simple question of:

Our likely equity if we're called + Our fold equity = The value of the play.

• edited August 2013
    Think I misunderstood what you were asking:

If we're considering flatting the bet to bring the other opponent along, we want to know what happens on the turn. If we miss the turn, our equity drops dramatically and we've turned a potential winning situation into a potential check-fold. If we hit the turn we still want to be able to stack someone but that's going to be hard when an obviously wet card has hit, unless we've coolered someone.

So on the flop we can get it in as a favourite or as a slight dog... or we can call, risking not getting it in when we hit or missing a great semi-bluffing opportunity to win without hitting...

I think this is an obvious situation that you don't really want to be going to a turn. You want to be putting money in when your equity is at it's highest or getting opponents to fold hands that, while we're a marginal favourite against them, still have good equity. If our opponent relinquishes a hand with 40% equity against us, we shouldn't be too upset about that.
  • edited August 2013
    put it another way -

£10 in middle, how often do they fold and you earn £10

how often do they call and you still have 12 outs at least

stick it in- suck there equity out of their heads and blow some kisses to the rail