You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Coolers? What are they?

edited August 2013 in Poker Chat
jeeez lambert you need to get a life........lol...............

Comments

• edited August 2013
    I was just thinking about it recently and it seems it's 100% relative to your ability what a cooler is. The reason I was thinking it was because too often in the past I used to write off hands by just saying 'meh it was a cooler' but I was just being lazy, lacking discipline, not thinking enough about the situation and making excuses for why I made a bad call/shove.

Like a stationy 'fish' might have KJ on J8975, find out he's beat on the river after calling down 3 streets and might just think 'meh it's a cooler'. To him it is a cooler cos he's in a spot where he just thinks 'well I'm never folding'.

Whereas on the other hand, I know players where if you're playing 200xBB deep on a mastercash table and you get it in pre with KK, you'll be behind everytime without fail. So it's not always acceptable to just say meh KK v AA is a cooler (granted most of the time it is)

Do you think cooler is overused and it's often an excuse players make when they just don't know any better?
  • edited August 2013
    A cooler for me is when two players are forced to put in all their chips on a specific flop because its incredibly unlikely that they are beat.  This could be set over set.  Alternatively it could be one person holding the nuts at the time but another player holding so much equity that they are happy to get it in.  An example would be a flopped straight v a player with top pair and the nut flush draw.

Essentially a cooler for me is when both players, if they play the hand optimally should be getting all their chips in the middle.

For someone to get stacked on just 1 pair and no outs to the nuts isnt a cooler.

The only cooler for me pre flop is AA v KK.
  • edited August 2013

1 should have known better,but i trusted you at first :):):):) cool innit xxx

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Coolers? What are they?:
    Do you think cooler is overused and it's often an excuse player's make when they just don't know any better?
    Posted by Lambert180
    Isn't the question essentially something like...
    "Do people think they're playing optimal poker when they're not?"
    i.e. making mistakes when they think it's just standard, and there's nothing they could have done.
    That, or... "Do people misuse the term cooler? Do such spots things exist?"
    Yes, yes, and rarely.

I only use the term when I'm SS in MTTs when we know we're playing perfect poker with certain hands.

But even w/AA in NLHE cash, there's almost always a more optimal way to play them. Even if it's something as simple as bet-sizing.

Question everything. That's the way you improve.
  • edited August 2013
    Yes. Does it matter? Not really :P
  • edited August 2013
    An American fridge. As in "grab a Dr Pepper from the cooler."

• edited August 2013
    Yes, it's a poker word that is completely overused, like the likes of sick, cold deck, poker Gods, variance, nuts ,etc. etc. etc.
  • edited August 2013
    creamy coolers ftw
  • edited August 2013
    i just answered this next door sigh. 

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Coolers? What are they?:
    In Response to Coolers? What are they? : Isn't the question essentially something like... "Do people think they're playing optimal poker when they're not?" i.e. making mistakes when they think it's just standard, and there's nothing they could have done. That, or... "Do people misuse the term cooler? Do such spots things exist?" Yes, yes, and rarely. I only use the term when I'm SS in MTTs when we know we're playing perfect poker with certain hands. But even w/AA in NLHE cash, there's almost always a more optimal way to play them. Even if it's something as simple as bet-sizing. Question everything. That's the way you improve.
    Posted by Smitalos
    There you go, we have a winner.

Just add "stop blaming bad luck, idiots who call us, the software, the weather, or our piles" & we get our reality check.

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Coolers? What are they? : There you go, we have a winner. Just add " stop blaming bad luck, idiots who call us, the software, the weather, or our piles " & we get our reality check.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Piles? Really? 
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Coolers? What are they? : Piles? Really? 
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Yes, piles. Of chips, obviously. Whatever did you think I meant?

This was my chip stack, the last time I played an SPT. Team GREEN, see?

• edited August 2013

For balance, here's a typical Orford chip "stack".

• edited August 2013
    For balance, here's a typical Orford chip "stack".  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Bit generous
  • edited August 2013
    That must be his starting stack
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Coolers? What are they?:
    I was just thinking about it recently and it seems it's 100% relative to your ability what a cooler is. The reason I was thinking it was because too often in the past I used to write off hands by just saying 'meh it was a cooler' but I was just being lazy, lacking discipline, not thinking enough about the situation and making excuses for why I made a bad call/shove. Like a stationy 'fish' might have KJ on J8975, find out he's beat on the river after calling down 3 streets and might just think 'meh it's a cooler'. To him it is a cooler cos he's in a spot where he just thinks 'well I'm never folding'. Whereas on the other hand, I know players where if you're playing 200xBB deep on a mastercash table and you get it in pre with KK, you'll be behind everytime without fail. So it's not always acceptable to just say meh KK v AA is a cooler (granted most of the time it is) Do you think cooler is overused and it's often an excuse players make when they just don't know any better?
    Posted by Lambert180

YES!
    It can be quite difficult sometimes to identiy a cooler spot yourself.
    Sometimes you think that maybe I could of folded because of xyz then someone will say o no that's just a cooler.
    It depends who is saying it's a cooler, someone with more experience may say you could of got any from it. While others may say, it's a cooler when infact it's a -ev spot.

Plus we can't be right all the time, sometimes we just get it wroung :)
  • edited August 2013
    Or perhaps they just have a different definition of what constitutes a "cooler". As far as I know it's a slang poker term and not a word with a direct poker definition in a dictionary, so they can use it to describe whatever they want. Like "sick".
  • edited August 2013
    That must be his starting stack
    Posted by FCHD
    Ha!

Winner.
  • edited August 2013
    Or perhaps they just have a different definition of what constitutes a "cooler". As far as I know it's a slang poker term and not a word with a direct poker definition in a dictionary, so they can use it to describe whatever they want. Like "sick".
    Posted by FCHD
    Sick. So so sick.

Joke.

So so sick......

This is soooooo sick.
  • edited August 2013
    That is sicker then sick Jack McSick winner of last years mr sick competition
  • edited August 2013

First: 13/12/2011
    Last: 29/8/2013
    jeeez lambert you need to get a life........lol...............

this made me lol 
  • edited August 2013
    Everypot I lose is a cooler, so I keep telling myself a way. Makes me feel better!!