You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

40NL - TP + 2nd NFD

edited August 2013 in The Poker Clinic
There are 2 types of spots I always get confused in (and one is below), either I have 2 overs + NFD or like the situation below. It becomes more confusing when I'm the guy acting in the middle of the other 2 because I don't know if I should be raising as I normally would HU w/ 2 overs +NFD or flatting to let the villian behind come along.

Anyway, won't go on about it, here is a situation...

So I'm pretty confident I have the best hand atm. This is just my thinking so tell me if it's wrong, but to get stacks in the middle here I'm gonna need to raise at some point and I'll be given credit for a wider range raising the flop with a FD out (and some straight draws) than I would raising the turn, especially if it's a club and I flat flop, then raise turn. BUT, I have a pretty decent lock on the hand on the flop and don't wanna make either of them fold really. Obv, I have position which is good, no fear of it ever getting checked back on any street

I'll post the later stages of the hand once the flop decision has been discussed, because I wanna discuss them too.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
RyanC7 Small blind   £0.20 £0.20 £40.67
eagle05 Big blind   £0.40 £0.60 £42.03
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • Q

jonkwondo1 Raise   £1.20 £1.80 £46.98
MonkeyJay Fold        
Nokesy Call   £1.20 £3.00 £37.40
Lambert180 Call   £1.20 £4.20 £88.35
RyanC7 Fold        
eagle05 Fold        
Flop

• Q

jonkwondo1 Bet   £2.10 £6.30 £44.88
Nokesy Call   £2.10 £8.40 £35.30
Lambert180 Raise   £6.80 £15.20 £81.55

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Definitely raising in this situation almost 100% of the time. If we had a set here we'd be raising because when we see a c-bet and flat in front of us we can assume one of them has a hand, and with the drawy nature of the board, we want to raise now before a scare card comes.

Therefore it follows that when we have a strong made hand/draw like what we have we also want to raise. Love the raise size as well!
  • edited August 2013
    Cheers, I'll take your word for it and move onto the next stage...

Both call the flop and both check a relatively blank turn, what do you think of my turn sizing?

I'm still confident of having the best hand, wanna keep them in and I know the SPR makes it easy to get their stacks in the middle even with this small turn bet.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    RyanC7 Small blind   £0.20 £0.20 £40.67
    eagle05 Big blind   £0.40 £0.60 £42.03
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • Q

jonkwondo1 Raise   £1.20 £1.80 £46.98
    MonkeyJay Fold        
    Nokesy Call   £1.20 £3.00 £37.40
    Lambert180 Call   £1.20 £4.20 £88.35
    RyanC7 Fold        
    eagle05 Fold        
    Flop

• Q

jonkwondo1 Bet   £2.10 £6.30 £44.88
    Nokesy Call   £2.10 £8.40 £35.30
    Lambert180 Raise   £6.80 £15.20 £81.55
    jonkwondo1 Call   £4.70 £19.90 £40.18
    Nokesy Call   £4.70 £24.60 £30.60
    Turn

jonkwondo1 Check        
    Nokesy Check        
    Lambert180 Bet   £11.25 £35.85 £70.30

• edited August 2013
    all good for me
  • edited August 2013
    I think I play the hand the exact same way mate.

only thing I would ask though your turn bet sizing is quite small is that to induce or to bet fold?
    think personally I bet more turn but as I said play it pretty much same.
  • edited August 2013
    It's not to induce or to bet/fold, it's just because our stacks relative to the pot size are so small that I don't need to go big. It's the same as using smaller bet sizing in 4bet pots because the SPR will always be lower, so we can bluff cheaper and when we have value hands it's easy to get stacks in anyway in a 4b pot.

Even if only 1 of them calls the turn, the pot will be near enough £50 (£60+ if both call) and they'll either have £30 or £20 left behind (depending on which villian calls) so it's very easy to get it in on the river and I'm pretty much happy to get it in on any river so betting small just allows them to continue with weaker holdings which is obv good for us.

It also means when I'm bluffing, it's cheaper for me to barrel.

FWIW, I'm obv bet/calling
  • edited August 2013
    why raise ? you just wanna play ya flush draw..........................................

flat is good
  • edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: 40NL - TP + 2nd NFD:
    why raise ? you just wanna play ya flush draw.......................................... flat is good
    Posted by rancid
    Well that was my original question...

These are the spots where I'm not sure what to do, cos I don't need to semi-bluff w/ my FD cos I'm pretty confident I already have the best hand and am not scared of many turns.

BUT it's a fairly drawy board and people can/will call with TP/2nd pr cos they like to say 'I put him on a FD' or w/e and they will also call with decent draws (granted me having KQcc makes it hard to have many FDs). We're gonna need to raise at some point if we wanna play for stacks, right?

I probably even get light call downs if I miss my draw because they think I have JUST a missed draw.

Meh I dunno.
  • edited August 2013
    In 3bet pot prefer raising, but here with 2nd nut draw prefer calling to keep in worse draws ect
  • edited August 2013
    id call rather then raise gotta think what is calling ya raise that dnt have u beat  call n play small ball im a poet n i didnt even know it 
  • edited August 2013
    Saying that i probably raise! Like turn sizing, gives them a chance to bluff
  • edited August 2013
    It's not to induce or to bet/fold, it's just because our stacks relative to the pot size are so small that I don't need to go big. It's the same as using smaller bet sizing in 4bet pots because the SPR will always be lower, so we can bluff cheaper and when we have value hands it's easy to get stacks in anyway in a 4b pot. Even if only 1 of them calls the turn, the pot will be near enough £50 (£60+ if both call) and they'll either have £30 or £20 left behind (depending on which villian calls) so it's very easy to get it in on the river and I'm pretty much happy to get it in on any river so betting small just allows them to continue with weaker holdings which is obv good for us. It also means when I'm bluffing, it's cheaper for me to barrel. FWIW, I'm obv bet/calling
    Posted by Lambert180
    I still prefer a little bigger on turn because if he`s drawing and misses river you get that little extra, even if weaker holdings are calling £11ish they prob call £14-16ish imo and pretty much any bet on turn you could get stacks in on river.

but I do get your reasons for smaller sizing.
  • edited August 2013

How would you play this spot if you had KQo? How would you play this spot if you had AcJc?

With KQ, we have top-pair. It's almost immaterial to our objective that we have a flush draw because we only want to get value from weaker hands. We don't want to find ourselves relying on our flush draw to get us there because that means we're putting money in when we're behind. Our flush draw is more like a back-up plan when we bump into bad news.

So when deciding to raise the flop, just ask yourself if you can be called by weaker hands than top-pair second kicker. If not, then we don't want to raise. If so, then of course we're value-raising... Obviously if we're 3-bet we've got to again assign a range to that 3-bet and, given that we're holding two clubs, it's tougher to think that we're getting it in against a draw.

If we had the draw and only the draw, we're no longer really raising for value. We're semi-bluffing with good equity. So if we had AcJc here and felt that there was a good chance we could get a couple of folds, winning the pot without showdown, then that's what we should do... We know it's unlikely that anyone putting more money into the pot is doing so with a weaker made hand than our Ace-high, but we have good equity against anything and a big lead against weaker draws.

The hands with which we balance our desire to semi-bluff with draws are not necessarily one-pair hands. When we're readless I'd say that we should balance our semi-bluffs with nutted made hands like sets and two-pairs. That's because I think we need specific reads that our opponents are going to stack off with weaker one-pair hands against us, giving us credit for draws or bluffs. We shouldn't assume that a randomer is doing that. We should assume that an unknown randomer stacks off tighter than that until we see otherwise.

So when you're playing top-pair, second kicker, play it like the value hand it is. The draw gives us a lot of extra equity if we happen to run into the top of our opponents' perceived ranges but if our opponents aren't calling raises or 3-betting with worse made hands or draws, then raising is just value-owning ourselves. If they are calling or 3-betting with worse, then happy days.

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: 40NL - TP + 2nd NFD : Well that was my original question... These are the spots where I'm not sure what to do, cos I don't need to semi-bluff w/ my FD cos I'm pretty confident I already have the best hand and am not scared of many turns. BUT it's a fairly drawy board and people can/will call with TP/2nd pr cos they like to say 'I put him on a FD' or w/e and they will also call with decent draws (granted me having KQcc makes it hard to have many FDs). We're gonna need to raise at some point if we wanna play for stacks, right? I probably even get light call downs if I miss my draw because they think I have JUST a missed draw. Meh I dunno.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Raising is not bad, you just gotta be very confident villians ain't got better.
    Essentially your never ever bluffing here, if you think you would be "for balance" into two then ok good luck with that spew
    You should be raising 100% for value where your pretty certain they gonna call with worse.
    How can you be so certain the PFR ain't got a big hand.

Suppose you gotta ask if you can raise for thin value here, problem is the thinner you go it turns into spew.
    Spot is just puke when they come over the top

Pot is big enough on flop to get effective over the line by river.

• edited August 2013
    I actually can't believe so many people think raising is bad here but anyone that thinks it is, is wrong. I'll explain more in a bit.
  • edited August 2013
    I don't think there are many people saying that raising is bad. Just saying that raising is bad if it means villains fold QJ or worse. If they don't, then there's no problem. If they do, then there is a problem.

We have a lot of equity against anything but it doesn't mean we need to raise to narrow villains' ranges to hands that also have strong equity.
  • edited August 2013
    I actually can't believe so many people think raising is bad here but anyone that thinks it is, is wrong. I'll explain more in a bit.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

Tell us Ivan