You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Broadband disasters

edited August 2013 in Poker Chat
So on my usual £5 dym grind last night at the end off a slightly unsuccessful session (variance is a female dog) when my Sky broadband (had to be sky) suddenly cut off and didn't come back on. Obviously lost the 4 tables I had running costing me £22 and any potential winnings.

It really annoyed me but at my stakes it's not exactly life changing amounts. So just wondering if anyone has any horror stories about their broadband cutting out at just the wrong time costing them mucho dinero?

Comments

• edited August 2013

If you have a 10% roi in £5 dyms, which is vvvvv good, that means you win 50p per game.

£22 / 0.50 = 44 games worth of profit gone.

If you 4 table, you probably get on average 6 games per hour in?

44/6 = 7.33333*

Rounded down, that's 7 hours 'work' your broadband has cost you.

Just thought I'd try & make you feel better about it ;)

-------------

On a serious note though, no haven't had anything disasterous yet.

I always wonder though, is there anything you can buy to have on standby for incase the internet does drop at a really crucial time? Big FT etc....

Maybe a non-contract pay as you go dongle or something, do these things exist? Literally, plug it in and it saves the day?
  • ommomm
    edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Broadband disasters:
    If you have a 10% roi in £5 dyms, which is vvvvv good, that means you win 50p per game. £22 / 0.50 = 44 games worth of profit gone. If you 4 table, you probably get on average 6 games per hour in? 44/6 = 7.33333* Rounded down, that's 7 hours 'work' your broadband has cost you. Just thought I'd make you feel better about it ;) ------------- On a serious note though, no haven't had anything disasterous yet. I always wonder though, is there anything you can buy to have on standby for incase the internet does drop at a really crucial time? Big FT etc.... Maybe a non-contract pay as you go dongle or something, do these things exist? Literally, plug it in and it saves the day?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    If u have a smart phone u should be able to turn it into a wireless hotspot and then connect using this, not ideal but will get u out of a sticky situation. Probably best to make sure you have enough mobile data as well. 
  • edited August 2013
    Brilliant dohhh never thought of it like that, thanks for that lol I'm only at 7% roi which means it cost me 14 hours worth of play - mega sigh!!!

• edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Broadband disasters:
    In Response to Re: Broadband disasters : If u have a smart phone u should be able to turn it into a wireless hotspot and then connect using this, not ideal but will get u out of a sticky situation. Probably best to make sure you have enough mobile data as well. 
    Posted by omm
    A big +1 to this.

I won a small MTT earlier this week by using my iPhone as a wifi hotspot after my home broadband went down during 3-handed play. 

Have a practise run, get it all set-up and ready to go quickly in an emergency. Much easier than trying to work it out on the fly.