You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My aim for the month

edited September 2013 in Poker Chat
i see alot of people posting aims and stuff on here, so thought id chip in with my own, just as a background to me, im awful at poker and mainly play for fun, but i have spent alot of time reading books, taking in advice on poker clinic and watching poker i've even recently been to my first 2 live events (which went well), i am defiantly improving :)

i made around 800 points last month and finished the month around even before recieving my bonus.

I've decided to aim for 1500 poker points and im going to try to do so without depositing so im starting with a Br of around £30, i will mainly be playing low level dyms but will throw in a few of the cheaper mtt's.

im not going to do a diary as such but i'll post a couple of update throughtout the month incase anyone is interested in how im doing.

look forward to seeing you at the tables!

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Hi RLT

Good luck with this.
    I've got a fair amount of experience with Dyms on here. I've played a few thousand and have had reasonable results.
    If there's anything you're unsure of and would like someone else's opinion, I'd be happy to try and help.
    Feel free to PM me.
  • edited September 2013
    Goodluck op

Lots of people here to offer advice.

If I were to be critical I would say to focus more on the way you play the DYM games and increase your roll that way. The poker points will (should) be small fraction of your winnings and are just a little bonus at the end of the month.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: My aim for the month:
    Hi RLT Good luck with this. I've got a fair amount of experience with Dyms on here. I've played a few thousand and have had reasonable results. If there's anything you're unsure of and would like someone else's opinion, I'd be happy to try and help. Feel free to PM me.
    Posted by Jac35
    thankyou, i will be in touch, by the time you've recieved all my question you may regret having offered ;)
  • edited September 2013
    Goodluck op Lots of people here to offer advice. If I were to be critical I would say to focus more on the way you play the DYM games and increase your roll that way. The poker points will (should) be small fraction of your winnings and are just a little bonus at the end of the month.
    Posted by calcalfold
    i agree and i am working on it, its only a matter of time :D
  • edited September 2013
    i do have one question, its not really to do with dym's, but multi tabling, ive been playing up to 8 tables recently but my results are defiantly alot better when im only playing 2/3 tables, i try and stick to the same tactics regardless of how many tables im playing but for some reason results just havent been as good, it may just be varience and a poor start, it may be that im still bad as i said at the start. but what we be your advice if ur playing more tables, do u do things differently? i do tend to take less notes as its hard to find the time to write them and this ofc makes dicision making harder. the time bar isnt really an issue i very rarely find myself timing out.
  • edited September 2013
    Do it gradually would be my advice. 9 is abut the maximum number of tables tha I will play.
    Dyms are easier than other variants to multitable because they're obviously far more ABC than cash for example.

I think Calcalfold is right about winning is far more important than your rewards points. No point racing to your points target of £15 if you lose £50 getting there.
    If you find your results are suffering the more tables you play than just play the number you're most comfortable with. In time add a table and so on.
  • edited September 2013
    As jac says work it gradually.

When you feel comfortable and are beating 3 tables over a good sample then add a table. When you can beat 4 add another etc
  • edited September 2013
    yeh that sounds good and makes sense, i know the aiim is to make profit from the games themselves and i am working hard towards that, but i just think if you look at my poker history on sky (im down about £600 at the moment) i need to take it a step at a time, a month where i dont have to deposit and manage to break even and collect the bonus has to be concidered a succesful month for me.  will work hard during this month to make myself a better player and then maybe next months aim can be to make some money :D
  • edited September 2013
    so my first session has gone quite well, i played 9 £2.25 dyms and the red vs purple freeroll, i managed to win 6/9 of the dym's and took 20th in the freeroll for another £3 on top so cant complain.

starting balance: £33.58
    DYM's 6/9: +£3.75
    freeroll: +£3

new balance:£40.33
    poker points:27

i had won 6/7 dyms but decided to play 2 more before bed and made a few silly errors that i shouldnt really be making in spots when it was likely i would go on to cash. will learn from it and hopefully can continue to make some money.

• edited September 2013
    good luck with this.

i'm also a micro-stakes struggler, looking to improve and build a little roll / momentum.

the 6.30 freeroll is good for when you're sub £40br. even a modest daily cash there of 30-50p daily 20 days a month can add £7-10 to your roll: a 17.5-25% increase.

run well, innit

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited September 2013
    cheers teddy, i'll keep any eye out for that FR in the future. good luck in building your roll up to, may even catch u at the tables.

just ended todays session and its been abit up and down, didnt start to well after going out of my first 2 dym's with 4 of a kind 6's vs 4 of a kind queens, and then full house AAAKK, vs 4 kings, but what can u do theres no getting away from them kind of hands (well im never folding anyway)

after that it hasnt gone to bad though slightly down for the day but got plenty of games in and had some good fun at the same time, some good banter at the tables today.

Todays starting balance: £40.33
    dyms cashed: 7/13  -£1.25
    freerolls/mtts £0

new balance: £39.08
    poker points:66
  • edited September 2013
    another question, this time aout dym's, if your down to the final 4 with a stack of 3500-4000 and blinds around 75/150 what do u people feel is likely to be the more profitable way to play, aggresively to try and put lower stacks under more pressure, or passively and let the lower stacks take each other out, i already know which i prefer but would just like others opinions and the whys behind them.
  • edited September 2013
    If you have a considerably bigger stack than 1 or 2 opponents on the bubble of a DYM then 100% just stay out of trouble. You don't need to completely lock up, if you think they're being nitty waiting for someone else to go out then you can still minraise and steal their blinds etc. Obv don't do this if they're 3bet jamming over raises alot.

But yeah keep out of trouble.
  • edited September 2013
    another question, this time aout dym's, if your down to the final 4 with a stack of 3500-4000 and blinds around 75/150 what do u people feel is likely to be the more profitable way to play, aggresively to try and put lower stacks under more pressure, or passively and let the lower stacks take each other out, i already know which i prefer but would just like others opinions and the whys behind them.
    Posted by RLT16
    Depends on the other 3 players, relative stack sizes, how many are short and where they are seated relative to you.

If 2 short stacks I'd just sit back and most of the time one will get busted before you have to get involved (unless you pick up a monster). If a few rounds pass by might be time to adjust.

With 1 short stack it depends on how they are playing and whether there are other bigger stacks between you and them and how they are playing as well. It can very frustrating when you are trying to pressure the s/stack on BB and big stack to your left keeps calling your raises!

Often pays to be aggro imo - open range a little and pressure short stack. A common mistake of short stacks is to be too tight and passive and you can take advantage of that. Even if they pick up AA or KK (rarely) you have them well covered and can always get lucky.

If there are 2 shorts and one acts before you and one after - usually even easier to push 2nd short around if player before you has folded as they dont want to be busted while another short at the table.

Just dont go too creative and make sure you are at least 3:1 bigger than the short (ideally more) so plenty of play left if you do double them up.

• edited September 2013
    good luck with this 
  • edited September 2013
    thanks, last 2 days havent gone to good for me, was playing a few £2.25 dyms having mixed results and then lost 3 or 4 on the bounce, instead of doing the sensible thing and taking a break i went chasing my money so up to the £5.50 dym's things didnt improve at first losing my first 2, i managed to claw some of it back though by dropping back to the £1.15's and £2.25's, lost nearly half my balance though which is a stupid thing to do at my level so ill have to control myself and not do that again going to haver abit of a session now, so i guess i'll see you at the tables.

day 3 loses: £16.80

todays starting balance: £22.18
    todays starting poker points: 140
  • edited September 2013
    havent played much these last few days but did manage to get on for the friday night orfordable tournament (great tournament why arent there more like this on sky) and managed a 6th place finish, didnt really play well or badly but i picked up AA 4/5 times and i managed to pick up a lot of chips then i kinda just sat back for the cash, i need to improve this part of my MTT game, im to happy just to cash rather than going out for the win.

new balance: £36.62
    poker points:179

• edited September 2013
    havent updated this in a while so thought id let u know how its been going, since last post i've mainly played dym's with some positive results, and played a couple of tournaments again with fairly good results, no major tournamanents just little ones but a few cashes, managed to get myself a roll of around £50 but i decided to withdraw £40 of this as i knew bills were coming and i wasnt due to be payed until just after (dont u love it when that happens) leaving myself with a roll of £10 came on yesterday and managed to grind that up to £25 playing mainly dym's. not put in anywhere near the amount of volume i need to get to 1500 points at the end of the month (didnt realise just how much poker that is at low stakes), but as im about £35 to the good i guess thats irrelavent. anyway got a few days of work next week so will make up for it then.

current balance: £24.95
    Poker points: 283

money withdrawn this month: £37.85

anyway back to the grind. see you all sat the tables, and GL

• edited September 2013
    on a completely seperate note and as abit of a brag although. but not only has my poker game been going well but ive just been named in the England Dragonslayers Australian rules football team, to play at the european cup in bordeaux next week, chances are most of you have never heard  of the sports  (assuming aussie09 is an aussie then he probably does) but its a really fun fast active sport to play and is growing well throughout europe. its only at amatuer status but im proud to be playing for my country again and hopefully in just over a week, i'll be a 3 time european cup winner :), if anyone is interest footage of the tournament will be streamed on the internet for free if anyone wants to watch it. and if no one is interested, well sorry for wasting your time :D

BUZZING!!!

p.s were not like the football lot we actually try to win games and play with passion!!!

EDIT: not sure wether its ok or not but if anyone is interested and if im aloud to i can post the link to the stream in here.
  • edited September 2013
    on a completely seperate note and as abit of a brag although. but not only has my poker game been going well but ive just been named in the England Dragonslayers Australian rules football team , to play at the european cup in bordeaux next week, chances are most of you have never heard  of the sports  (assuming aussie09 is an aussie then he probably does) but its a really fun fast active sport to play and is growing well throughout europe. its only at amatuer status but im proud to be playing for my country again and hopefully in just over a week, i'll be a 3 time european cup winner :), if anyone is interest footage of the tournament will be streamed on the internet for free if anyone wants to watch it. and if no one is interested, well sorry for wasting your time :D BUZZING!!! p.s were not like the football lot we actually try to win games and play with passion!!!
    Posted by RLT16
    Congrats! obviously heard of the sport but never watched, good luck and i will keep an eye out for it, what date does it start?
  • edited September 2013
    Thankyou snuffer

its a 1 day event on the 21st of september, each team plays 4 games on the day england have been given a very favourable group draw agaisnt iceland and spain.
  • edited September 2013
    Cool, 4 games in a day, hope you have a big squad! Will defo try and watch the live stream.TID.
  • edited September 2013
    they are shortened games but yeh a biggish squad of 15, this is the 9 aside version (18 a side version was last month and we lost in the final to ireland by 1 point gutting)