You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL50 against tight reg

edited September 2013 in The Poker Clinic

villain is a good reg who is generally tight.  he will be aggressive with strong holdings and knows I will squeeze in this spot with a wide range.

I would cbet this pot a large % of the time and we both know that.

not sure at all about the check back on the turn
what do we do on the river?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
TonyMT Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £49.25
Si73 Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £42.81
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

kcxyz Raise  £1.50 £2.25 £49.25
dorithy Fold     
villain Call  £1.50 £3.75 £71.13
huuuuume Raise  £6.00 £9.75 £60.27
TonyMT Fold     
Si73 Fold     
kcxyz Fold     
villainCall  £4.50 £14.25 £66.63
Flop

• Q
  • A

villainCheck     
huuuuume Bet  £8.50 £22.75 £51.77
villainCall  £8.50 £31.25 £58.13
Turn

• A

villain Check     
huuuuume Check     
River

villainBet  £23.44 £54.69 £34.69

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Seems like a fairly easy call to me.

If he's tight then he's not calling 3bets with 33/88/A8/A3, so we're scared of AQ and possibly QQ but you'll know better than me whether he's likely to flat the 3b or 4b w/ QQ.

I like the checkback on the turn if we have quite a wide range cos it means we can get him to value bet worse Ax hands and possibly KK (same applies as above as to whether he flats 4bets with KK sometimes for deception)
  • edited September 2013
    feels like a fold but would be tempted to call and see AJ/A10/misd draws-  depending on how light he calls pre
    if vill knows you could be sqeezing then would they come over the top or call with weak holdings

AQ would be a bit puke

you may just even see 88/QQ

hard to see what Qx he got though where  they feel confident enough to v/b river

would vill raise any KJ/K10 on flop if ya c betting a large % of the time

idk think your beat the majority, expect to see 88 the most

Maybe you got it wroung huume and vill thinks your a nit :)
  • edited September 2013
    Why wouldn't he call pre-flop with 88 and play the hand just this way? Is a tight player not 3-betting with QQ himself? I think the range that beats us is likely to be AQ and 88.

Agree with you, Lambert, on the rest.

We kinda need to know more on his call-call range pre-flop and what your perceived pre-flop 3-bet range and river calling ranges are, OP.
  • edited September 2013
    I'm working on the basis that he's a tight reg. Most tight regs don't call 3bets OOP w/ 88 when they only stand to win a little more than 10x the call, even more so against good players like Huuuuume who aren't just gonna go 'oh look I have JJ on a 9high board or I've got TPTK so I'm 100% stacking off'.

If he does call the 3bet with 88 that's another matter, but then then maybe he's not so nitty.
  • edited September 2013
    to rule out 88 is a mistake
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: NL50 against tight reg:
    to rule out 88 is a mistake
    Posted by rancid
    Well yeah we can't entirely but I have no idea who the villian is or how tight they are... OP just says tight. There are some villians as I'm sure you know that are so tight you can say 100% there is no way they can have 88 here.

It can be there but still fairly unlikely and it's still really only AQ/88 that beats us. Guess it depends what the dynamic is between these two and also if hero has any bet sizing tells cos some people when they go this size on the river it's just nutty every single time and they use different sizes with their bluffs, others not.
  • edited September 2013
    3/4 pot on the river is generally pretty strong from this villain...never air/busted draw

would probably expect to see them fold 88 pre oop

would generally expect villain to 3bet in position with QQ/possibly AQ pre

villain will have seen me squeeze with a range that includes suited connectors/weak aces/pocket pairs but against the two players in the hand my range is most likely tighter and villain is good enough to know my range is not as wide in this particular spot.

i normally get owned by this villain whenever i call their river bets :(
  • edited September 2013
    so you kinda answered your own dilema - either AQ or Ax u beat or 88 :)
  • edited September 2013
    You are massively under-repped, you can't fold here. I know being under-repped doesn't always equate to a call but there are so few hands that beat you and villain can definitely be v-betting the same/worse A here OTR for value.

Against some villains I'd be debating whether to shove for value... but then we have enough combos of better value hands and probably not enough bluffs in our range to shove for value.
  • edited September 2013
    snap call but i be barreling on the turn to play for stacks on river this maybe to agggro of a line but its what i would do 
  • edited September 2013
    the only question you need to ask and try to answer in game in this spot is... (because u no hes not bluufin).. 

1. whats his value range
    2. how much of that do i win/lose to 
    3. decide

given ur reads etc, id lean way more to a call and be happy that theres enough worse hands in his value range..
  • edited September 2013
    Why did you check the turn?

I actually like the way you played the hand but don't question yourself otr when you get exactly the bet that you checked the turn for..
  • edited September 2013

Also if he's a good reg then he will be bluffing some reasonable % in this spot. Otherwise he's just not a good reg...

• edited September 2013
    fold you only have nut trips in a 3b pot.

infact just fold pre, hard to improve.