You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Betting at a Live Event

edited September 2013 in Poker Chat
At a live event MTT, can you ask for a count of the pot, or is that not allowed?

If its not do you need to just work it out?

Thanks

Comments

• edited September 2013
    You can get a count of a players stack if they move all in. As for whats in the middle, a dealer can spread the pot to give you an idea but they won't add it up for ya.

Take an abacus to Newcastle ;)
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Betting at a Live Event:
    At a live event MTT, can you ask for a count of the pot, or is that not allowed? If its not do you need to just work it out? Thanks
    Posted by LARSON7
    from my experience some dealers have counted it out a few times but most time they just spread pot so it`s easy for you 2 can count it yourself.

but if your lucky you get players that has follwed the hand and will know as soon you ask how much is in there? they tell you in a second showing there excellent maths skills lol.
  • edited September 2013
    One bit of advice Larson (if you havent played live before) ... something that I learned playing the friday night before SPT Notts - ANNOUNCE YOUR RAISES.

If you throw in 1 chip intending to raise the value of that 1 chip and don't say so.... its a call, no matter the value of the chip.

I may or may not have looked like an idiot on the friday throwing a 500 chip to call 100 then looking a bit perplexed when someone raised to 400 and action was back on me.
  • edited September 2013
    At a live event MTT, can you ask for a count of the pot, or is that not allowed? If its not do you need to just work it out? Thanks
    Posted by LARSON7
    No they cant count the pot.  They can spread it out for you so you can see what is in it but thay cant count it.
  • ommomm
    edited September 2013
    Posted by LARSON7
    Larson, the easiest way is to keep a count yourself as it happens, this also helps you focus on the game instead of being on the tinternet. 

Eg Blinds 100-200, utg raises to 600, mp call sb folds bb calls. = 3 x 600+ 100= 1900 before flop, then continue as you go along. This should also help with bet sizing. 
  • edited September 2013

mewillows & hyttjfgghhhhjyyyhhtrtyytyydjjjttteeeyyr are both correct - the Dealer is NOT supposed to tell you how much is in the pot in Live NLH Tourneys.

He or she WILL "spread" the pot for you if you wish, though. Best thing is to keep a rough track of things as the pot progresses.

In PL Games, that is different. You can announce "Pot" & the Dealer WILL tell you exactly what "Pot" is.

The transition from Online to Live is much more complex than most realise, because Online the software does everything for you, you cannot even act out of turn online.

If you act out of turn in Live Poker, which is a dreadful breach of etiquette & against every rule in the book, the TD reserves the right to have you shot, of course. 

I assume this is in connection with SPT Newcastle - come see me when you arrive, & I'lll try to arrange a "practice table" before the Tourney starts, & I'll get one of the regulars to deal.  

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Betting at a Live Event:
    One bit of advice Larson (if you havent played live before) ... something that I learned playing the friday night before SPT Notts - ANNOUNCE YOUR RAISES. If you throw in 1 chip intending to raise the value of that 1 chip and don't say so.... its a call, no matter the value of the chip. I may or may not have looked like an idiot on the friday throwing a 500 chip to call 100 then looking a bit perplexed when someone raised to 400 and action was back on me.
    Posted by gazza127
    i play in two pub leagues around the bury area and is constantly getting moaned at for saying chips should be passed back when a raise isn't annouced
  • edited September 2013
    If you act out of turn in Live Poker, which is a dreadful breach of etiquette & against every rule in the book, the TD reserves the right to have you shot, of course.

I assume this is in connection with SPT Newcastle - come see me when you arrive, & I'lll try to arrange a "practice table" before the Tourney starts, & I'll get one of the regulars to deal.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    and you'll hold the pistol Tikay?

and there are even situations where two chips can count only as a call even if you are trying to raise

also note the difference between "raise to" and "raise by" so even saying raise xxx isn't necessarily clear
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Betting at a Live Event : and you'll hold the pistol Tikay? and there are even situations where two chips can count only as a call even if you are trying to raise also note the difference between "raise to" and "raise by" so even saying raise xxx isn't necessarily clear
    Posted by GELDY
    GREAT point, few people realise that the difference between the two is crucial. They are DIFFERENT things.

ALWAYS state the TOTAL AMOUNT you wish to bet.

• edited September 2013
    live poker really is not that complicated Larson, it's so slow it's easy to add up pot as the action moves around the table.

if your not sure just ask dealer to spread pot and you can just add up the biggest dominations and get an idea.

essentially when you raise you have to put more than one chip in where the combined total is big enough to stand as a raise.

If you put one chip in and do not announce raise it's always a call.

to make it easy if your going to raise then just announce raise before you put your chips in.
    If the total amount of chips your going to put into the pot = your raise amount then fine - announce raise and put ya chips in

If the total number of chips is above your raise amount then annouce raise and the amount your raising
    If you do not announce the amount then the total amount of chips will stand as the raise amount.

good luck, dw the dealers will help you out a bit but obviously they have to be quite strict
  • edited September 2013
    Thanks everyone, thought you couldn't get told!

And thanks TK, i reckon i'll be fine, just need to do some counting!
  • edited September 2013
    u should know the stacks around u before u even look at your cards tbh :p keep it in ya head unless they delibrately cover em up