You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cash Poker - Folding 2nd Nuts

edited September 2013 in Poker Chat
In some spots, you should never ever do it, in others it can be quite easy (albeit painful) but how about this scenario...

You're in a single raised pot (raised by yourself) and you got 3 callers preflop. We have KJo

So we go to the flop 4way which is AAA and it get's checked round (the pot is about 15xBB)

The turn is a King so turn the 2nd nuts. Villian leads out 4way for full pot and it's on us.

Is there ever an arguement to fold here? If we call here then we have to call 100% of rivers obv.

Is this a scenario where we're only ever gonna be chopping or losing given the full pot bet 4way? Is he ever gonna do this with TT for instance know ing he can't really get called by anything worse?

Whatever your opinion is, why do u think it's the right one?

Comments

• edited September 2013
    On AAA I would def. consider folding since even though there are 4 aces on the board it's quite likely that one of them may be playing an ace. On other 3 of a kind boards, say TTTK and below then I don't think you can get away from a big FH unless a tight passive player pots twice or something/overbets
  • edited September 2013
    what about this one

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    a Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £57.26
    rancid Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £57.57
      Your hole cards
    • A

BabyFace82 Fold        
    ASKFORDMND Fold        
    bolly580 Fold        
    b Raise   £1.00 £1.75 £41.46
    a Call   £0.75 £2.50 £56.51
    rancid Call   £0.50 £3.00 £57.07
    Flop

• A

a Check        
    rancid Check        
    b Check        
    Turn

• K

a Bet   £2.25 £5.25 £54.26
    rancid Call   £2.25 £7.50 £54.82
    b Fold        
    River

a Check        
    rancid Bet   £11.00 £18.50 £43.82
    a All-in   £54.26 £72.76 £0.00
    rancid
  • edited September 2013
    I'd fold in Lambert's scenario because at best your chopping a pot you've not put much into. Rancid I'd call yours, I can't see him checking the 5 there, he should be just pot betting or shoving knowing you're going to call with an A... Who knows though, we all play different!
  • edited September 2013
    It happened this morning exactly as above and I did fold... just wanted to see if I was being a massive nit or not.

EDIT: JJ has asked for the HH so when I finish my grind I'll try to find it, but a bit of a pain in the azz to find cos it was just a small pot and I'll have played 100s of hands that size this session
  • edited September 2013
    Get this "Nit" expression out of your mind or you're just going to end up bleeding money away. It's all I keep seeing you mention lately. Big folds are vital, if you start thinking "Meh this hand's too good to fold" you'll start going downhill fast. That's what I did! I started to listen to people who were calling me a nit and it totally messed my game up. I've finally got over all that now, and play tight again like I used to, and shock horror, I'm winning regularly again!
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Cash Poker - Folding 2nd Nuts:
    I'd fold in Lambert's scenario because at best your chopping a pot you've not put much into. Rancid I'd call yours, I can't see him checking the 5 there, he should be just pot betting or shoving knowing you're going to call with an A... Who knows though, we all play different!
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Why should villain be potting with a 5 here? If he checks he knows hero will be betting an A whereas if he bets himself hero is only going to call with an A. So by c/r he can get more out of hero than by just betting.

Not sure why rancid overbets the river though. It's certainly not for value, so is it to fold out a split? If so, I don't think the sizing is big enough. When we do overbet and get shoved on it's a pretty horrible spot. Villain is obviously never bluffing (unless he's super sick) because he knows we won't be folding an A and could potentially have a 5 ourself. But is he really shoving with an A to try and fold out a chop? He could easily have a hand like AA or KK as well as a 5, so I think I'm probably folding. edit: nvm I didn't know the action pre. AA and KK is unlikely. I guess if it's an unknown you prob have to call because he might just be thinking any Ax is the nuts and with what we've invested, it's hard to fold.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Cash Poker - Folding 2nd Nuts : Why should villain be potting with a 5 here? If he checks he knows hero will be betting an A whereas if he bets himself hero is only going to call with an A. So by c/r he can get more out of hero than by just betting. Not sure why rancid overbets the river though. It's certainly not for value, so is it to fold out a split? If so, I don't think the sizing is big enough. When we do overbet and get shoved on it's a pretty horrible spot. Villain is obviously never bluffing (unless he's super sick) because he knows we won't be folding an A and could potentially have a 5 ourself. But is he really shoving with an A to try and fold out a chop? He could easily have a hand like AA or KK as well as a 5, so I think I'm probably folding. edit: nvm I didn't know the action pre. AA and KK is unlikely. I guess if it's an unknown you prob have to call because he might just be thinking any Ax is the nuts and with what we've invested, it's hard to fold.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    cough, ofc it's for value_vill bets K on turn_-_ all K's call yo!

• edited September 2013
    Sigh remembered it slightly wrong.

It was a single raised pot but I iso'd 2 limpers, and it did get checked round then full potted on the turn but it was 3way not 4way
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    johnnyappl Small blind   £0.20 £0.20 £33.52
    TEAJ666 Big blind   £0.40 £0.60 £30.96
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • J

b123n Fold        
    ASKFORDMND Call   £0.40 £1.00 £13.97
    biscuitman Call   £0.40 £1.40 £44.39
    Lambert180 Raise   £2.00 £3.40 £95.08
    johnnyappl Call   £1.80 £5.20 £31.72
    TEAJ666 Fold        
    ASKFORDMND Call   £1.60 £6.80 £12.37
    biscuitman Fold        
    Flop

• A
    • A
    • A

johnnyappl Check        
    ASKFORDMND Check        
    Lambert180 Check        
    Turn

• K

johnnyappl Bet   £6.80 £13.60 £24.92
    ASKFORDMND Fold        
    Lambert180 Fold        
    johnnyappl Muck        
    johnnyappl Win   £6.46   £31.38
    johnnyappl Return   £6.80 £0.34 £38.18
  • edited September 2013
    I doubt I'm folding, checked through on the flop so hes gonna stab quite a bit. Villains also not full stacked (so likely weaker player) he can show up with so many more bluffs/thin v bets then he can with Ax/ Kx
  • edited September 2013
    But does he really bluff/thin value bet full pot into 3 players? Like he's always gonna miles behind or he's getting folds so dunno why he'd full pot for any other reason than pure value.

Wouldn't he just C/C with say TT?
  • edited September 2013

what % of the time does vill have worse/bluffs
    what % of the time does vill have a K
    what % of the  time does vill have an Ace

calculate

probs -EV to call

depends what % of your stack you have put in already but this spot is a fold

would be great if we could fold in game

• edited September 2013
    But does he really bluff/thin value bet full pot into 3 players? Like he's always gonna miles behind or he's getting folds so dunno why he'd full pot for any other reason than pure value. Wouldn't he just C/C with say TT?
    Posted by Lambert180
    Well we don't have that answer because its impossible for us to find the reasons why fish do what they do..

why do they click the pot button time after time? why do they min bet or min 3bet in spots that are bad? ect ect..

These aren't the spots that you need to put lots of time in analysing as they are relatively rare. Its not gonna be a long term mistake to call now and call the river unless you really have a concrete read on his pot bets after seeing weakness.
  • edited September 2013
    what % of the time does vill have worse/bluffs what % of the time does vill have a K what % of the  time does vill have an Ace calculate probs -EV to call depends what % of your stack you have put in already but this spot is a fold would be great if we could fold in game
    Posted by rancid
    HH is above... I did
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Cash Poker - Folding 2nd Nuts : HH is above... I did
    Posted by Lambert180

cause your a nit :D

very hard to fold in game for a buy in as these spots hardly ever arise

plus it's gonna bug u 4ever if they actually had it or not - like this thread :D

• edited September 2013
    I'm not folding here. Pot sized bet looks bluffy to me, an ace doesn't want folds.

Disclaimer; I don't play cash.
  • edited September 2013
    @rancid: Well I doubt anyone good is calling with a K to an overbet. So unless you had a note saying they were a CS I'd much prefer a smaller bet for value.

And lambert, 3 way I don't think you can fold at least not on the turn. I just don't think the average random is going to be donk potting with an A here. Depends how long you've been playing with them though and what reads you have. If they've been at the table for a good while and they've been pretty uninvolved then I guess folding here would be alright. I'd probably call turn and re-eval river. They're probably not going to bluff twice so you've just got to decide how often they have a K vs an A if they bet again and if you're getting the odds to call!
  • edited September 2013
    how can u fold witk 2nd nuts there on a    AAAK board just madness
  • edited September 2013
    But what I'm saying is, IF it's only Ax or Kx then it's -EV innit?

Like the dead money in the middle will cover any rake when I chop with Kx but that relies on him having Kx 100% of the time. If he has Ax even 10% then it's not +EV is it?
  • edited September 2013
    But what I'm saying is, IF it's only Ax or Kx then it's -EV innit? Like the dead money in the middle will cover any rake when I chop with Kx but that relies on him having Kx 100% of the time. If he has Ax even 10% then it's not +EV is it?
    Posted by Lambert180

Yes but you dont know 100% for sure its Ax or Kx, you're just trying to assign a range of which underpairs should also be considered. An inexperienced level 1 player might barrel the turn, with any pocket pair if they have decided that their fh is good enough. 

I'm definitely calling the turn, and re-evaluating on the river. A shove on the river leaves you in a spot but this scenario happens soo rarely dont beat yourself up about specific decisions. 

Flash Flush is right, dont let other players try to convince you that being nitty is bad (especially when they arent playing your levels). Unfortunately at lower stakes on sky tight is right, if you want to play poker this aint the site to do it !

• edited September 2013
    But what I'm saying is, IF it's only Ax or Kx then it's -EV innit? Like the dead money in the middle will cover any rake when I chop with Kx but that relies on him having Kx 100% of the time. If he has Ax even 10% then it's not +EV is it?
    Posted by Lambert180
    depend what % you think vill is bluffing/worse against % of k's and % of A's

only intrested in:

win 13.60
    lose 6.80

---

if u call then work it out again for the turn

---

if you shove then .......................... ok good luck
  • edited September 2013
    I'm not folding here. Pot sized bet looks bluffy to me, an ace doesn't want folds. Disclaimer; I don't play cash.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    +1 on this. The only time I would be worried about an A would be a river allin.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Cash Poker - Folding 2nd Nuts : Yes but you dont know 100% for sure its Ax or Kx, you're just trying to assign a range of which underpairs should also be considered. An inexperienced level 1 player might barrel the turn, with any pocket pair if they have decided that their fh is good enough.  I'm definitely calling the turn, and re-evaluating on the river. A shove on the river leaves you in a spot but this scenario happens soo rarely dont beat yourself up about specific decisions.  Flash Flush is right, dont let other players try to convince you that being nitty is bad (especially when they arent playing your levels). Unfortunately at lower stakes on sky tight is right, if you want to play poker this aint the site to do it !
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    I'm not bothered about people thinking I'm nitty although I'm not.

That last sentence sums up everything that's wrong with the cash games atm. Full of people who don't know how to play poker so they think 'well I'll just wait for the nuts' then some more people come along and think 'hmm everyone is really tight... how do I combat that... erm I'll just wait for the nuts myself and hope I cooler them'.

Being a massive nit is not the only way to win, nor is it the best way to win. People like Dohhhh are a testiment to that... when he could be bothered playing he used to consistently batter the games and it wasn't by just waiting for QQ+ and AK all night.

You can 'play poker' on here, you just gotta adapt how you play it.

Sorry to rant but it's just SO boring when there are a handful of people on most tables where they are just so nitty it's unbelievable.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Cash Poker - Folding 2nd Nuts : I'm not bothered about people thinking I'm nitty although I'm not. That last sentence sums up everything that's wrong with the cash games atm. Full of people who don't know how to play poker so they think 'well I'll just wait for the nuts' then some more people come along and think 'hmm everyone is really tight... how do I combat that... erm I'll just wait for the nuts myself and hope I cooler them'. Being a massive nit is not the only way to win, nor is it the best way to win. People like Dohhhh are a testiment to that... when he could be bothered playing he used to consistently batter the games and it wasn't by just waiting for QQ+ and AK all night. You can 'play poker' on here, you just gotta adapt how you play it. Sorry to rant but it's just SO boring when there are a handful of people on most tables where they are just so nitty it's unbelievable.
    Posted by Lambert180
    LOL it totally bothers you, I havent seen you get it in pre flop with anything less than ak.

Thats just the way things are, play your game and stop trying to be something you are not. You even admitted in your "my name is" that your a TAG, theres nothing wrong with it. Whats the point of being a LAG if your gonna spew, certainly applies to me as does a couple of other reasons which I dont have to justify to anyone. 

Its soo ironic that your posting a hand that 99% of players would call at least one street and yet moaning about nits !

PS Ive just seen what you posted on facebook, perhaps you would like to come onto skype to discuss, I am not impressed. 

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Cash Poker - Folding 2nd Nuts : LOL it totally bothers you, I havent seen you get it in pre flop with anything less than ak. Thats just the way things are, play your game and stop trying to be something you are not. You even admitted in your "my name is" that your a TAG, theres nothing wrong with it. Whats the point of being a LAG if your gonna spew, certainly applies to me as does a couple of other reasons which I dont have to justify to anyone.  Its soo ironic that your posting a hand that 99% of players would call at least one street and yet moaning about nits ! PS Ive just seen what you posted on facebook, perhaps you would like to come onto skype to discuss, I am not impressed. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    Sorry all just saw this reply...

Well it's all relative about what I get it in with. There are some people I 100% will not get it in pre with QQ/AK for 100xBB and that's not because I'm being nitty it's because if they wanna get in 100xBB+ pre, I know I'll be shown AA/KK practically every single time.

Yeah I totally agree about being TAG and that is still what I'd say I am. I'm by no means super laggy but there's a mahoosive difference between a tight aggressive, solid game, and some of the stuff you must see at the table. Like in what world should you be able to confidently 3bet/fold QQ pre against some people.

Yeah you don't need to justify anything and just like if you wanna open shove every hand in an MTT, you pay your money, you can do what you like.

This hand is imo a very different kind of nittiness, I'm probably just overthinking the situation too much although I'm still not sure that he would ever bluff this spot or lead for full pot with hands like TT when he just can't get called by worse but w/e doesn't matter.

I'm playing about 10 tables atm so can't really come on Skype (took me about 25 mins to write this) but can do another time if you like. Not sure what comment you're referring to, the only thing I can think where I mentioned you was the RemyMartin comparison and I wouldn't have thought you'd be offended by that, you're the one telling me not to get offended for being called a nit ;)

Hope there's no hard feelings, it's only a game.
  • edited September 2013
    Paul,your style of play has got you where you are today so stick with it,spose you could use your image to open your range in position but hey what do i know
    heres what i would of done prob completly wrong 
    if checked i check
    pot bet i call
    shove i fold
    horrible spot tho
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Cash Poker - Folding 2nd Nuts : Sorry all just saw this reply... Well it's all relative about what I get it in with. There are some people I 100% will not get it in pre with QQ/AK for 100xBB and that's not because I'm being nitty it's because if they wanna get in 100xBB+ pre, I know I'll be shown AA/KK practically every single time. Yeah I totally agree about being TAG and that is still what I'd say I am. I'm by no means super laggy but there's a mahoosive difference between a tight aggressive, solid game, and some of the stuff you must see at the table. Like in what world should you be able to confidently 3bet/fold QQ pre against some people. Yeah you don't need to justify anything and just like if you wanna open shove every hand in an MTT, you pay your money, you can do what you like. This hand is imo a very different kind of nittiness, I'm probably just overthinking the situation too much although I'm still not sure that he would ever bluff this spot or lead for full pot with hands like TT when he just can't get called by worse but w/e doesn't matter. I'm playing about 10 tables atm so can't really come on Skype (took me about 25 mins to write this) but can do another time if you like. Not sure what comment you're referring to, the only thing I can think where I mentioned you was the RemyMartin comparison and I wouldn't have thought you'd be offended by that, you're the one telling me not to get offended for being called a nit ;) Hope there's no hard feelings, it's only a game.
    Posted by Lambert180

Mehhh, another day and all that. Perhaps your facebook comments where taken out of context, but thats the reason I dont use it, ive seen it cause tons of grief outside of poker. Things do get misinterpreted. But Remy Martin come on!

I have definitely adapted my game to the way sky is, mainly for personal reasons which as I said I dont want to go into here. I am also 9 tabling , something that is new for me and taking a bit of getting used to, naturally hand selection is going to be narrower(but dont take that for gospel!). Ironically when I played wider on tables full of nits a few months ago, it didnt get results. Its taken a while to refine things but I have the confidence now to play volume again. 

The latest sky promo (double points) is the best promo sky have come out with for the whole community imo, rather than rewarding the top 20 volume players. 

• edited September 2013
    Yeah I did send you a quick message on Skype last night btw while I was playing. I've had to tighten up myself as I'm now playing 12 tables and if I played like I used to I'd be playing half a dozen hands non stop. Maybe RemyMartin was a bit strong lol... AQo is probably an open fold for him ;)

Yeah I agree about the new promo, it's a good middle ground because the high volume players will barely see any difference (if any) so it won't encourage them to just play a million tables but lower volume players might get an extra £50 out of it. I assume DTM must be joking in that other thread.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Cash Poker - Folding 2nd Nuts : Sorry all just saw this reply... Well it's all relative about what I get it in with. There are some people I 100% will not get it in pre with QQ/AK for 100xBB and that's not because I'm being nitty it's because if they wanna get in 100xBB+ pre, I know I'll be shown AA/KK practically every single time. Yeah I totally agree about being TAG and that is still what I'd say I am. I'm by no means super laggy but there's a mahoosive difference between a tight aggressive, solid game, and some of the stuff you must see at the table. Like in what world should you be able to confidently 3bet/fold QQ pre against some people. Yeah you don't need to justify anything and just like if you wanna open shove every hand in an MTT, you pay your money, you can do what you like. This hand is imo a very different kind of nittiness, I'm probably just overthinking the situation too much although I'm still not sure that he would ever bluff this spot or lead for full pot with hands like TT when he just can't get called by worse but w/e doesn't matter. I'm playing about 10 tables atm so can't really come on Skype (took me about 25 mins to write this) but can do another time if you like. Not sure what comment you're referring to, the only thing I can think where I mentioned you was the RemyMartin comparison and I wouldn't have thought you'd be offended by that, you're the one telling me not to get offended for being called a nit ;) Hope there's no hard feelings, it's only a game.
    Posted by Lambert180

Thanks Paul, responded in skype, please keep this to yourself.