You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

heads up for the win. Call or Fold

edited September 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Hi All

I was playing the 4.30PM £5.75 Bounty Hunter and we were heads up and almost equal in chips. I made a call with a pair, with a over card, straight draw and nut flush draw. the odd on odd checker made me a 25% underdog but with so many outs I thought I had to call. Should I have waiting for a better chance?

darryn1973 Small blind 1000.00 1000.00 64300.00 peter_1959 Big blind 2000.00 3000.00 62700.00   Your hole cards A J       darryn1973 Raise 3000.00 6000.00 61300.00 peter_1959 Call 2000.00 8000.00 60700.00 Flop    Q 4 J       peter_1959 Bet 10000.00 18000.00 50700.00 darryn1973 Call 10000.00 28000.00 51300.00 Turn    9       peter_1959 All-in 50700.00 78700.00 0.00 darryn1973 All-in 51300.00 130000.00 0.00 darryn1973 Unmatched bet 600.00 129400.00 600.00 darryn1973 Show A J peter_1959 Show 6 Q River    10       peter_1959 Win Pair of Queens 129400.00

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Villian over bets pot on both streets. seems pretty polarised to me he has a q or nothing but i think he has the queen more often than not. You have no straight draw out so your probably drawing to an ace or a club i think we can find a better spot than this. Villian looks eager to get chips in with marginal meaning there should be plenty of better spots to get it in if we play the HU for a little bit longer
  • edited September 2013

It's a tough one on the flop, i had a look at it and at first didn't mind the call. But looking back, what do we do on the turn if they put in another big bet? Really we need to fold if we do not improve.

When oppo shoves the river, looks like we are crushed. We have outs, but against most of opponents holdings we are a massive dog. I would personally, as played, fold the turn.

On the flop, would be really dependant on previous hands played and how the betting action went. Is he making these over bets often?

If we are just knew to heads up with the player, i'd prob just fold flop, and see what he started doing in later hands. If he continues with silly bets, all you have to do is 1) let him hang himself when you have a strong hand 2) just take him to value town.

There were better spots than this.

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: heads up for the win. Call or Fold:
    It's a tough one on the flop, i had a look at it and at first didn't mind the call. But looking back, what do we do on the turn if they put in another big bet? Really we need to fold if we do not improve. When oppo shoves the river, looks like we are crushed. We have outs, but against most of opponents holdings we are a massive dog. I would personally, as played, fold the turn. On the flop, would be really dependant on previous hands played and how the betting action went. Is he making these over bets often? If we are just knew to heads up with the player, i'd prob just fold flop, and see what he started doing in later hands. If he continues with silly bets, all you have to do is 1) let him hang himself when you have a strong hand 2) just take him to value town. There were better spots than this.
    Posted by LARSON7
    This would be a mistake I think.
  • edited September 2013

Thanks All for your comments

Personnally Pre-flop and on the flop i made the correct decision. There's no way i folding second pair with an overcard to the board. i personnally didn't think he had the queen at this point.

When the flush drawer came on the flop and he shoved all-in it should of have been obvious he had a queen.

I went all-in knowing i had outs but should have folded and found a better spot.

The other reason i called because 7 handed i was last with 3BB. i managed to then double, then treble and then double to chip leader. i felt unstopable and therfore gambled on this hand instead of playing the odds. I will think more next time.

• edited September 2013
    Difficult to fold flop
    easier to fold turn
    not priced in to chase the flush draw

• edited September 2013
    Hi sir

Probably raise his donk bet on flop to 35k will give you your answer in this case i feel. If there were two clubs on the flop then you'd have the pot odds and equity to reraise andcall his all-in. Its a question of what your csi is(stack divided by sum of bb and sb). This will give you a range of plays for varying csi's.
    All the best fella. TBH your all-in was a mistake i feel as your csi was too large at this stage.
  • edited September 2013
    looks like an easy fold on the turn for me because people just never bluff here on sky.

I might actually fold the flop!