You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Variance?

edited September 2013 in The Poker Clinic

Being a mere poker mortal i'm wondering if Variance, especially in cash, will always make me be a losing playing?

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Variance has zero impact on whether you're a winning player or not. It just has an impact on short term results.
  • edited September 2013
    My short team result tho are losing all my money lol
  • edited September 2013
    That's why you need good bankroll management.

You could give Phil Ivey 10 BIs to play cash and he might go busto. That's poker.

Give a good winning player 50BIs though and it's probably not gonna happen.

Chances are if you stick to low stakes on here and you go through 30 BIs, it's probably not variance that's to blame.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Variance?:
    That's why you need good bankroll management. You could give Phil Ivey 10 BIs to play cash and he might go busto. That's poker. Give a good winning player 50BIs though and it's probably not gonna happen. Chances are if you stick to low stakes on here and you go through 30 BIs, it's probably not variance that's to blame.
    Posted by Lambert180
    If your saying i need 30/50 BIs its my bankroll management
  • edited September 2013
    That's why you need good bankroll management. You could give Phil Ivey 10 BIs to play cash and he might go busto. That's poker. Give a good winning player 50BIs though and it's probably not gonna happen. Chances are if you stick to low stakes on here and you go through 30 BIs, it's probably not variance that's to blame.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Sorry, BIs is?
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Variance? : Sorry, BIs is?
    Posted by peter27
    BI's = Buy Ins

If you are playing 2p/4p a buy in (BI) will = £4 so in lamberts example 50BI's would = a £200 BR (Bankroll) to play that limit and survive the variance swings without going bust.

1 of the 1st things that I learnt from the community as a new player here was effective BRM (bankroll management) and as a result I haven't deposited for 14 months :)

That's not to say I am a great player, got a bit lucky early on and have stuck to rigid BRM while I continue to try and improve my game

GL at the tables
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Variance? : If your saying i need 30/50 BIs its my bankroll management
    Posted by ClintonH83
    If you keep losing it's definitely not your bankroll management.

They're 2 separate issues.

Variance probably the least of your problems. And it's not specific to you. Everyone who plays has to deal with it everytime they play at whatever level.

Not sure if it's even a 'problem' ?

You could be experiencing positive variance yet still losing.

Sort out your game & brm (2nd 1 is easy).
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Variance? : BI's = Buy Ins If you are playing 2p/4p a buy in (BI) will = £4 so in lamberts example 50BI's would = a £200 BR (Bankroll) to play that limit and survive the variance swings without going bust. 1 of the 1st things that I learnt from the community as a new player here was effective BRM (bankroll management) and as a result I haven't deposited for 14 months :) That's not to say I am a great player, got a bit lucky early on and have stuck to rigid BRM while I continue to try and improve my game GL at the tables
    Posted by spurs_13
    Ahh thanks! I should have worked that one out haha.

I've heard a lot about BRM, but not really looked into it as I've never had a problem really. However I would be interested to know how your BRM works? If you want to share that is :-)
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Variance? : Ahh thanks! I should have worked that one out haha. I've heard a lot about BRM, but not really looked into it as I've never had a problem really. However I would be interested to know how your BRM works? If you want to share that is :-)
    Posted by peter27
    There is a fantastic thread in Poker Chat by GaryQQQ called "1,000 Poker Points ----- /> £1,000 Can it be done?"

Gary is a reg on here and also a legend with advice on strict BRM, I would advocate reading the diary that charts his progress. He started it at the beginning of this year and is now close to £700 :)
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Variance? : There is a fantastic thread in Poker Chat by GaryQQQ called "1,000 Poker Points ----- /> £1,000 Can it be done?" Gary is a reg on here and also a legend with advice on strict BRM, I would advocate reading the diary that charts his progress. He started it at the beginning of this year and is now close to £700 :)
    Posted by spurs_13
    Will check it out! :-)
  • edited September 2013

Always sceptical posting on a thread about variance because most people do not look at variance the right way. They only see it as a word to explain periods of bad luck. Only Dohhhhh on this thread has even mentioned the other side of variance.

We all have periods of time when our big hands get beat and we cant hit a draw to save our lives. But also we all have the times when we hit sets more frequently than normal or all our draws get there. These are both variance. This is the luck aspect of the game that we can not avoid.

This is when the skill comes into play. The skill comes when we win the most possible when it has gone our way and lose the minimum when things go wrong. This is how we make money at the tables.

We should never focus on the times when the poker gods are against us and we should not mistake the times when they are on our side as being a sign of our brilliance. These times happen and we should not even waste time thinking about them. Time is better spent looking at appropriate hands and saying how could i have won more or how could i have lost less.
  • edited September 2013
    Im never really playing more than 25 BIs and most of the time its below 20 so maybe i should concentrate on my bank roll management...

To be totally honest i dont think im good enough to fold my big hands... and there the ones i lose most of my money on! 
    It hards tho when you have AA the flop comes 10 2 5 and you bet the whole way and someone has 10 2 haha 

Just think with my big hands vs hand Variance and my skill level i'll always be a break even / losing cash player
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Variance? : BI's = Buy Ins If you are playing 2p/4p a buy in (BI) will = £4 so in lamberts example 50BI's would = a £200 BR (Bankroll) to play that limit and survive the variance swings without going bust. 1 of the 1st things that I learnt from the community as a new player here was effective BRM (bankroll management) and as a result I haven't deposited for 14 months :) That's not to say I am a great player, got a bit lucky early on and have stuck to rigid BRM while I continue to try and improve my game GL at the tables
    Posted by spurs_13
    I can see your point, but a lot of people would misinterpret this information.

You do not need to deposit £200 to play 2p/4p.

Starting with £40 is plenty

• edited September 2013
     Always sceptical posting on a thread about variance because most people do not look at variance the right way. They only see it as a word to explain periods of bad luck. Only Dohhhhh on this thread has even mentioned the other side of variance.  We all have periods of time when our big hands get beat and we cant hit a draw to save our lives. But also we all have the times when we hit sets more frequently than normal or all our draws get there. These are both variance. This is the luck aspect of the game that we can not avoid.  This is when the skill comes into play. The skill comes when we win the most possible when it has gone our way and lose the minimum when things go wrong. This is how we make money at the tables.  We should never focus on the times when the poker gods are against us and we should not mistake the times when they are on our side as being a sign of our brilliance. These times happen and we should not even waste time thinking about them. Time is better spent looking at appropriate hands and saying how could i have won more or how could i have lost less.
    Posted by Talon
    great post
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Variance? : There is a fantastic thread in Poker Chat by GaryQQQ called "1,000 Poker Points ----- /> £1,000 Can it be done?" Gary is a reg on here and also a legend with advice on strict BRM, I would advocate reading the diary that charts his progress. He started it at the beginning of this year and is now close to £700 :)
    Posted by spurs_13
    Thanks for this tip, it's a great thread - learnt a lot and it's facinating to read, kind of inspirational to be honest!
  • edited September 2013
    Okay guys, I have a question (which might be a little stupid - I am new to trying to develop my poker play).

How do you know if you're doing well because of variance or if you're doing well because you're good?

I just won my first MTT on SkyPoker - and while I am using reasoning and logic in every hand I play - I'm not entirely sure if I can call myself a good player yet or if I'm just doing well due to variance. I did get lucky during my MTT win, but surely anyone who wins an MTT will need to get lucky at some point?

One tournament win on its own may suggest variance, but I did also place 20th in a "mini" event a few days ago too - not sure if that changes things haha?
  • edited September 2013
    Okay guys, I have a question (which might be a little stupid - I am new to trying to develop my poker play). How do you know if you're doing well because of variance or if you're doing well because you're good? I just won my first MTT on SkyPoker - and while I am using reasoning and logic in every hand I play - I'm not entirely sure if I can call myself a good player yet or if I'm just doing well due to variance. I did get lucky during my MTT win, but surely anyone who wins an MTT will need to get lucky at some point? One tournament win on its own may suggest variance, but I did also place 20th in a "mini" event a few days ago too - not sure if that changes things haha?
    Posted by peter27
    time is the key... as apposed to other aspects od poker MMT's are very high in variance.. some of the best players in the world can many games without a single cash- if this is your choosen or prefered part of the game then all you can reallly do is try to learn and develop an understanding of the different stages of the tourney - early (deep), mid-stages and then your fold/shove/steel options at the later, shallow stack, business end of the game.
    track all your bustout hands to see whether it was the right time or if you could have done anything different.. most of the time it'll come down to a flip or a cooler where no patries could have done anythin different but as long as your making the right plays at the right time then thats all  you want to be doing...GLGL
  • edited September 2013
    lol at phil ivey going broke with 10BIs

if you are the best player you should be able to win every hand on the table practically
  • edited September 2013
    lol at phil ivey going broke with 10BIs if you are the best player you should be able to win every hand on the table practically
    Posted by Simmy4k
    Yeah obviously, cos Phil Ivey could never get AA v KK pre and the villian bink their king?

Or just get coolered KK v AA pre

Or get it in on the flop with top set V a FD and they get there?

Or get middle set into top set

That's why BRM is important, cos being the best isn't enough if you can't afford to take the variance.
  • edited September 2013
    Variance ?

To understand variance is very simple...
    you flip a coin and the probability is 50/50
    so if you flip a coin 10 times what is the expected result
    over the course of 10 flips it could be 6/4, 7/3,8/2 - you can not control the short term variance of the flip

--

The long term result is 50/50, and if you flip 100,000 times you will come close to a 50/50 result.

--

Example 1..

You could take a bad player and they could win short term even though they are getting it in bad or 50/50.

Eventually the bad player will go broke

Example 2..

Take a good player who gets it in good or 50/50, they could lose in the short term but in the longterm they will win

--

But you need to understand the short term in varaince can be 2 weeks or 12 weeks or even longer.

sum up...

You can never be 100% guarenteed to win a hand in poker unless you have a nut hand.
    It's a 2% chance because that's exatcly what it is, and it will happen.

A lot of people just don't understand varaince in poker and they quit.

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Variance? : Yeah obviously, cos Phil Ivey could never get AA v KK pre and the villian bink their king? Or just get coolered KK v AA pre Or get it in on the flop with top set V a FD and they get there? Or get middle set into top set That's why BRM is important, cos being the best isn't enough if you can't afford to take the variance.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I have been playing the biggest games i can buy into for the last 6 months, i started at 4nl. Now im a regular at 500nl...

Are you saying i'm better than Phil Ivey?
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Variance? : I have been playing the biggest games i can buy into for the last 6 months, i started at 4nl. Now im a regular at 500nl... Are you saying i'm better than Phil Ivey?
    Posted by Simmy4k
    No, I dunno where that leap came from. I'm saying play with 10 BIs for long enough and everyone will go bust no matter how good you are. Sometimes you'll rungood (not run bad) early doors and be alright, sometimes you won't.

I assume in your time playing you must have lost 10 BIs in a row at some point, right?
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Variance? : I have been playing the biggest games i can buy into for the last 6 months, i started at 4nl. Now im a regular at 500nl... Are you saying i'm better than Phil Ivey?
    Posted by Simmy4k
    Disagree with this 110%.

I've been playing 6 months now so I know a thing or two about poker.  I've probably played more hands than Ivey thanks to the new multi-table option on Sky.  I lose 10-20 buy-ins some days, so I know variance when I see it.  If I can lose then so can Ivey!

I think for cash games you should have at least 500 full buy-ins before moving up, this way if you have a 300 bi downswing it's no big deal and you can still load up 24 tables easily without having to play short stacked.

Trust me when I say 10bi is not enough, even if you can read timing tells and stuff.  Phil Ivey may be good, but he's no better than Tom Dwan who lost millions of his roll to Isildur.  And Isildur is no better than me according to the Sky regs I play with at 400nl every day.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Variance? : No, I dunno where that leap came from. I'm saying play with 10 BIs for long enough and everyone will go bust no matter how good you are. Sometimes you'll rungood (not run bad) early doors and be alright, sometimes you won't. I assume in your time playing you must have lost 10 BIs in a row at some point, right?
    Posted by Lambert180
    110% agree  with this, for Simmy to assume he's better than Ivey because he took shots and ran good is just a giant leap that even a man with frog legs couldn't make.

Everyone will go bust with 100bi never mind 10.  I lost 60bi this month already though I am just a recreational player so maybe it doesn't count. Still think I need 500 bi for the year though.  Luckily I am super rich and can afford to play the biggest games even when  running bad.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Variance? : Disagree with this 110%. I've been playing 6 months now so I know a thing or two about poker.  I've probably played more hands than Ivey thanks to the new multi-table option on Sky.  I lose 10-20 buy-ins some days, so I know variance when I see it.  If I can lose then so can Ivey!   I think for cash games you should have at least 500 full buy-ins before moving up, this way if you have a 300 bi downswing it's no big deal and you can still load up 24 tables easily without having to play short stacked. Trust me when I say 10bi is not enough, even if you can read timing tells and stuff.  Phil Ivey may be good, but he's no better than Tom Dwan who lost millions of his roll to Isildur.  And Isildur is no better than me according to the Sky regs I play with at 400nl every day.
    Posted by Razzi817
    +1 lol 
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Variance? : 110% agree  with this, for Simmy to assume he's better than Ivey because he took shots and ran good is just a giant leap that even a man with frog legs couldn't make. Everyone will go bust with 100bi never mind 10.  I lost 60bi this month already though I am just a recreational player so maybe it doesn't count. Still think I need 500 bi for the year though.  Luckily I am super rich and can afford to play the biggest games even when  running bad.
    Posted by Razzi817

super +1 
    return date shortened.. !!

• edited September 2013
    lol at phil ivey going broke with 10BIs if you are the best player you should be able to win every hand on the table practically
    Posted by Simmy4k
    even Ivey loses flips. If you're the best player you should win in the long term but if you hit a cooler or get sucked out on a few times its easy to go bust before the superior skill has chance to show through if you don't manage your bankroll.