You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Why limping UTG with big hands is silly...

I just took a big pot off an UTG limper who had AK... I had 44 in the big blind and got to see the flop for free.

Of course the flop comes down AK4 :)  And our limper does his whole stack.  The final 4 came on the river just to sweeten it.

If he handn't limped I'd have probably folded pre-flop.

Comments

• edited September 2013
    You could argue that the flop comes AK4 and you were in the BB with K4 or A4 which would have definitely folded to a raise pre-flop. But now that you've seen a flop you're going to go broke and UTG will get your stack. Yeah, you might have folded 44 but a lot of players will call with small pp's so it wouldn't have made a difference. If the flop came K73 and you had K5 you might get all in with it; and again it would seem a good move to have slow played AK pre.

Slow playing can definitely be bad but saying that it was bad in this situation because of what happened is ignoring all the times when the opposite happens.
  • edited September 2013
    Why are we folding 44 pre?

Is this a tourney?
  • edited September 2013
    n Response to Re: Why limping UTG with big hands is silly...:
    Why are we folding 44 pre? Is this a tourney?
    Posted by calcalfold
    Agreed
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Why limping UTG with big hands is silly...:
    Why are we folding 44 pre? Is this a tourney?
    Posted by calcalfold
    Sounds like a tourney but that's irrelevant as folding 44 pre flop in cash games OOP is completely standard in some situations. eg. We're against a good aggressive LAG opponent opening in CO. We can't profitably set-mine because we don't have the implied odds to do so and we can't really play back with our hand on enough flops that we don't hit a set on. Obviously if UTG is a tight opponent/someone uncapable of folding and assuming we're pretty deep then there's definitely plenty of implied odds to call pre.