You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

OMAHA I LOVE YOU!!!!

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
ok so omaha has launched today on sky and i for one absolutely love it, 100% novice on omaha but i like to think i pick things up pretty quickly, normally i will never play an mtt apart from the odd one here and there, but thought i would take my chance as i was enjoying the omaha on stt's, so entered the £100 guaranteed and have just come up trumps!!! still a lot to learn from omaha as its a bit impossible to learn it all in a day but i am so chuffed with the success i have had today on omaha, i think hold'em is going to take a back seat untill i start having a bad run on omaha, wasnt so sure about this omaha when sky said it was coming but i am so glad its here now!!! its nice to be able to mix things up and not just playing the same game over and over, guys if you havent tried it yet i suggest you give it a go, i started at the low level of £1.15 today just to get a feel for it and let me just say not many people know what they are doing as of yet, this is a real chance to try and make a bit of easy money in my opinion, a lot of people are registering by accident thinking its hold' em, so i did try and help some of them out to a certain extent after all i'm only a rookie myself.

ps: will be playing a lot more omaha mtt's from now on!!!

thanks sky for this fantastic early xmas present!!!

Comments

• edited December 2009

Can tell who these fish are cant ya!

Cmonnnn am I the only one who thinks its a raffle?

Id like to know how many times the best hand is folded in Holdem compared to omaha.....

Wheres the skill??

Honest, top level players, tikay, merenovice, Talon, cmon plz tell me where the skill is, how can u win with the worst hand? is it possible????

(n I havent tried n lost, ive tried n won before u say its just sour grapes) - emphasises my point i spose!

Cmon what makes a top Omaha player??

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: OMAHA I LOVE YOU!!!!:
    Can tell who these fish are cant ya! Cmonnnn am I the only one who thinks its a raffle? Id like to know how many times the best hand is folded in Holdem compared to omaha..... Wheres the skill?? Honest, top level players, tikay, merenovice, Talon, cmon plz tell me where the skill is, how can u win with the worst hand? is it possible???? (n I havent tried n lost, ive tried n won before u say its just sour grapes) - emphasises my point i spose! Cmon what makes a top Omaha player?? DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

You either... hit a miracle or you DONT PLAY THE WORST HAND!

The idea is not to play EVERY hand, the idea is to WIN BIG and LOSE SMALL in the selected hands you play.

You can bluff... but you need to have pretty good read on what your opponent has and KNOW if they are GOOD ENOUGH TO FOLD.

YOU MAKE ME SHOUT!!!!!
  • edited December 2009
    I MUST ADMIT THIS IS THE FIRST TIME EVER I HAVE PLAYED THIS GAME,I JUST HAD A COUPLE OF GOES AT THE DOUBLE URE MONEY,BUT I REALLY DID ENJOY IT AND THINK I WILL BECOME A REGULAR.DOHHHHHHH THOUGH IS RIGHT ITS A BIT SIMILAR TO LUCKY DIP.LOL dav
  • edited December 2009

When people ask if NLHE is easier against better players, I laugh.

Maybe the game of Omaha becomes skillfull when theres loads of good players together.

But i doubt it, i canny see how there can be skill involved, best hand wins 99% of the time.
  • edited December 2009

Question....2 players all in pre....Omaha...

Whats the highest percentage favourite one bloke can possibly be?

eg hold em AA v 9 3 off = I dunno but AA is huge....

Omaha?

Not into stats or owt but im interested with this new game!

DOHH

• edited December 2009
      The problem you are having Dohhh is trying to marry together texas and omaha, you cant. They are both skillful games but the skill sets are totally different. In texas a good bet can beat a good hand and you need to learn that skill. In omaha the fold is very important skill. Reading the board requires refinement as well as things like a 4 flush can not exist in omaha. When heads up in omaha you have to imagine you are playing against 6 players because you are up against one opponents 6 hands. It just maybe that omaha is not for you as it more a game of paranoia than of aggression. I hope you come to appreciate the joys and differences that omaha has to offer, if not then i am sure you will just continue to tear up the felt in texas.
  • edited December 2009

Dohhh your asking the wrong questions - with AA in NLH you can raise and reraise to limit the players in the pot then its ideally AA vs XX all in or committed preflop

AAKK in omaha can only bet the pot - so position matters more and so do the actions of your opponents - as do the blind levels in relation to stack sizes.  So best hand doesnt win preflop - you have to read the flop and consider where you are in relation to it, the nuts at that stage and the possible nuts on the next card.. You also have to consider what the other 3 players have... its multi layered at best.

As Colin above says you dont have "a hand" you have multiple hands and until you see a flop you just dont know what you have!

Pairs dont win (unless by default!- 2 pairs rarely win, FH's and A Hi Flushes are often the winners, where as straights and trips are only really good on rainbowed unpaired boards.  Dont be surprised by quads - always where sun screen.

Look out for HI/LO when that comes out! If three cards on the board are 8 or lower (Ace is hi lo) you split the pot between the best Hi hand and best Lo hand - its super sik!  but its no lottery :-) 
  • edited December 2009
    Dohhhh, most of the top nosebleed holdem players swear by omaha, as does our very own tikay. Do you stick with your own donkfest opinion after a day of playing or do you trust that they've played for years and know what they're doing. Rome wasn't built yadda yadda
  • edited December 2009
    Of the 6 PF combo's how many "fits" am I looking for?

3 or 4 + ??
  • edited December 2009
    Of the 6 PF combo's how many "fits" am I looking for? 3 or 4 + ??
    Posted by diablo_pez
     3 or 4 if you can get them are good. The hands you definately want to be playing are like KQJ10 double suited. which give you such great options for all sorts of draws. The main lesson to learn is not to overrate big pocket pairs  because unless they set up they are not worth much.
  • edited December 2009
    Cheers Talon....think i'm gonna like this game....eventually
  • edited December 2009
    Of the 6 PF combo's how many "fits" am I looking for? 3 or 4 + ??
    Posted by diablo_pez
    It depends on the nature of the flop.  I'm not being evasive - but paired and suited boards are different to connected boards and any wild 3 cards are different again.

You either want the nuts or a bag full of outs!
  • edited December 2009
    I am also really loving Omaha.
    I have never played the game before so I read all the tips that are in Tikay's thread and had a go at a couple of micro level DYM sit 'n go's, I won 1 and was 2nd in the other.
    I was watching the mistakes others were making and when I was in a pot I won big but only lost small amounts when I didn't have the best hand.
    I will also play Omaha for a while but will still play the occasional NLHE game just to keep my hand in.
    Thanks to Sky for bringing this great game to the site.