You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

All-in sats

edited September 2013 in Poker Chat
Just a quick one regarding the all-in sats..

I've noticed several times now that on the final table there is sometimes a player who isn't dealt cards. Naturally this means when more than  when more than 1 place is paid the player is virtually guaranteed to cash/win a seat having played just the 1 hand.

So I guess my question isn't how does a player not get dealt cards because at times I suppose they may join the table marginally after everyone else, but why doesn't the table wait until everyone is there until dealing the hand to make it fair?

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Is it unfair? If you accept that these are a lottery then being the player with no cards is no more or less likely than being the player being dealt the winning hand.

Cheers, 
    TEDDY

• edited September 2013
    OK maybe fair was bad wording. I just think for the sake of being consistent the table shouldn't deal the hand until all the players are there?
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to All-in sats:
    Just a quick one regarding the all-in sats.. I've noticed several times now that on the final table there is sometimes a player who isn't dealt cards. Naturally this means when more than  when more than 1 place is paid the player is virtually guaranteed to cash/win a seat having played just the 1 hand. So I guess my question isn't how does a player not get dealt cards because at times I suppose they may join the table marginally after everyone else, but why doesn't the table wait until everyone is there until dealing the hand to make it fair?
    Posted by Assassin35
    Hi,

Was wondering whether you have a tournament ID for this, or the alias of the player who was not dealt cards?? If not any information on a tournament where this has happened (e.g time, name, date) would be great so we can look into this further.

Cheers.
  • edited September 2013
    Hi folks,

It sounds most likely to be a case of table balancing. There will always be some cases where someone can't be given cards - they might have been moved into the table in a small blind position, or joined while a hand was in progress/about to be dealt. There might be some other instances where this could happen too, but these are the two that spring to mind...

As Peter said, if it's not one of those two things it would be good to get the tourney ID so we can look into it a little more.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • edited September 2013
    I might be missing something but, aren't the all-in sats basically a lottery anyway. All players are forced to go all in every hand. Since the table ballancing is decided by who is knocked out, when they were knocked out, where they were sat and where there are free seats - all of which are randomly decided by the cards that are dealt - nobody gains an edge. The chances of winning an all-in sat should be 1/x where x = the number of entries. A player not being dealt cards for one hand is just as random as a player being dealt a full-house in another.
  • edited September 2013
    Slightly off topic but sometimes (about 10% of the time) when i get moved tables during an MTT, the first hand im dealt it doesnt let me see the cards or act on my hand??? ive been dealt the cards, i have a time bar but i just have to let it run down and then when the next hand is dealt it all works fine... i dont know if this is something everyone has noticed, or just me....
  • edited September 2013
    I last time I noticed it was in the 20.58 sat last night for the 5k BH and it was matisback that wasn't dealt a hand as he joined fractionally after everyone else I guess maybe because he was the only table of 6 whereas the other tables all had 5 players (31 entrants).

Just to clarify I do understand why this may happen due to table balancing and whatnot and I also accept that it is a lottery anyway I just wondered why there wasn't something in place like a hand for hand system so that you wait for the 1st hand to be completed, see how many people are left, move players accordingly and only when everyone is seated deal the next hand.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: All-in sats:
    Slightly off topic but sometimes (about 10% of the time) when i get moved tables during an MTT, the first hand im dealt it doesnt let me see the cards or act on my hand??? ive been dealt the cards, i have a time bar but i just have to let it run down and then when the next hand is dealt it all works fine... i dont know if this is something everyone has noticed, or just me....
    Posted by jordz16
    had this quite a few times myself