You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

nl20 QQ raised on turn

edited September 2013 in The Poker Clinic

vill is reg at nl20

anyone feel like folding
rancid Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £29.99
x Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £41.03
Lambert180 Sit out        
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

ACEGOONER Fold        
got2fish23 Raise   £0.80 £1.10 £23.80
rancid Raise   £2.00 £3.10 £27.99
x Call   £1.90 £5.00 £39.13
got2fish23 Fold        
Flop

rancid Bet   £3.00 £8.00 £24.99
x Call   £3.00 £11.00 £36.13
Turn

• J

rancid Bet   £7.60 £18.60 £17.39
x All-in   £36.13 £54.73 £0.00
rancid

Comments

• edited September 2013
    I like a fold but you know I'm a nit :)

Don't know many (any?) 20NL regs that would ship here with a worse 1pr or a str8/flush draw
  • edited September 2013
    AhJh ?

probs only one hand !

Qx10h
    Qh10x

:S

KhJh
  • edited September 2013

i think its a fold also- villan has turned our hand into a bluffcatcher given how strong a line we've taken ..ie 3bet pre, bet flop, bet turn and now villan jams all-in- he shouldnt be doin this with anything worse for value- and when we dont beat his value range but do beat his bluffs we should fold the worst part of our value range- since he's bet about £18 to win £18- we need to fold more than half our hands and since we shouldnt have too many bluffs here we should also have to fold some of our bluff catchers also -- and QQ sits near the bottom of our value range

, we have a bluff catcher therfore given the line of call 3bet call, jam- villans has turned every hand in our range thats not a flush into a 'bluff catcher'...

all this changes when the villan bluffs too much or too little however..

• edited September 2013
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: nl20 QQ raised on turn:
    I'd fold :-)
    Posted by Donttelmum

+1

:)................
  • edited September 2013
    What did DTM turn over then ;)

TT with a heart?
  • edited September 2013
    What did DTM turn over then ;) TT with a heart?
    Posted by Lambert180

8h10h

:D
  • edited September 2013
    dislike the jam with 108hh and if u called dislike that also :)

especially as it a mass multi tablin reg- who would never show up with worse , like everrrrr..!!
  • edited September 2013
    i called, it was flopped flush but i think i should fold but maybe i am being results

• edited September 2013
    easiest fold ever on this board
  • edited September 2013
    i guess a set wants to protect on sick rivers
  • edited September 2013
    i guess a set wants to protect on sick rivers
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    my thought too - if it isn't a low flush its a set that hopes he is ahead and wants to stay that way

so yes - fold
  • edited September 2013
    Are ya all saying no one is capable of shoving pr + heart to get folds from nits :D

ya folding QQ/KK/AA

any nits folding sets ?

is vill not raising flop with sets ?
  • edited September 2013
    Are ya all saying no one is capable of shoving pr + heart to get folds from nits :D ya folding QQ/KK/AA any nits folding sets ? is vill not raising river with sets ?
    Posted by rancid
    What pair + heart hands? I guess JTh that floated the flop or TThh. Plus the QT with a heart that was mentioned. Yes, we might be up against these hands but they still all have decent equity vs our QQ.

Obviously not folding a set because that's much higher up in our turn value betting range + if we are behind we have outs + if we're not behind villain has less outs. (can only hit a flush/straight) Also we have QQ/KK/AA with a heart that we can call with.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: nl20 QQ raised on turn : What pair + heart hands? I guess JTh that floated the flop or TThh. Plus the QT with a heart that was mentioned. Yes, we might be up against these hands but they still all have decent equity vs our QQ. Obviously not folding a set because that's much higher up in our turn value betting range + if we are behind we have outs + if we're not behind villain has less outs. (can only hit a flush/straight) Also we have QQ/KK/AA with a heart that we can call with.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

we also have AhJx, KhJx

if we have Qh does anyone call

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: nl20 QQ raised on turn : we also have AhJx, KhJx if we have Qh does anyone call
    Posted by rancid
    Depends how wide I think they're going to shove turn but I probably fold. KK with the Kh is where I would start calling vs most players.
  • edited September 2013
    Meh I would fold AA with the ace of hearts here, and I didn't think I was a nit.
  • edited September 2013
    Meh I would fold AA with the ace of hearts here, and I didn't think I was a nit.
    Posted by Batkin88

well you could say because u have the Ah, they not shoving with NFD + pr so a pretty good reason to fold.

idk, think you need good reads to call versus vill shoving range

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: nl20 QQ raised on turn : Depends how wide I think they're going to shove turn but I probably fold. KK with the Kh is where I would start calling vs most players.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

yh as above think we need good reads to call even w/KxKh
  • edited September 2013
    AA-KK-QQ all are exactly the same hand in this situation-- and having the FD ontop is irrelevant
  • edited September 2013
    AA-KK-QQ all are exactly the same hand in this situation-- and having the FD ontop is irrelevant
    Posted by LnarinOO
    Well it depends on the reads we have on villain but they're definitely not the same hand and the FD is relevant because it means when we bluff catch and are wrong we still have some outs. eg. villain has a set and shoves if we call with QQ-AA with no heart we're drawing to 2 outs but with a heart w're drawing to 10 outs.

As to QQ-AA being the same hand well again this depends on what villain's range for shoving the turn is. If he's shoving turn with TT, QQ-AA with a heart then we might want to fold our QQ (since we beat his TT, but lose to KK and AA)  but definitely be calling our AA since now we beat his TT, QQ & KK.

All villains bluff hands have a heart in pretty much so we can definitely be calling off our best pairs with a heart in if we think villain is shoving widely enough.
  • edited September 2013
    im gonna have to disagree.. 

im quite aware of the concept of 'gettin lucky' by having a FD when we're wrong but that wasnt what i was implying when i said its irrelevant- i will come back to this....

QQ-AA play exactly the same in this situation- the only thing we know is that villan is a reg.. We have to think about our villans value rasing range given the fact he over called our 3bet BUT did not 4bet- most the time we can exclude AAKKQQ from his range but they are all in ours.. after the strength we have show by 3b, bet , bet and now villan jams- we can conclude that he's never doin this with worse than our hand for value- ur correct he has turned every non flush hand in our range into a bluff catcher- by choosin the point which we bluff catch in this spot shouldnt come down to our relative hand strength ie QQ =fold and KK=call, ., but where that hand sits in our value range given the action and our percieved range- AND since, we can have AA KK and QQ and villan cant , they play exactly the same way or to phrase differently none should be more of a call over the others, seeing as villan cannot have KK when we have AA- all this is generalisation to the player pool but unless we have specific reads we shouldn't make assuptions or guess-

without solid reads we need to find the correct frequecy to call with, which makes villan indifferent to bluffing. villan has risked about the size of the pot with his jam- therefore we need to call with around half our bettin range to keep him indiffernt to bluffing. we can of course fold all of our bluffs, but 1/2 of our range isnt bluffs- we should only have a bluff here much less than 20% of the time so to make up our correct calling amount - we still have to fold the worst of our value hands too (AA KK QQ sit right near the bottom of our value range)

moving back to having a FD with an OP - its irrelevant due to the fact that villans range stays the same whether we have a heart or not- it only makes a difference when we get the correct price to draw because if we always make plays or calls based on having only 'possible outs' then we  would be making plays for incorrect reasons ie losing plays/bad decisions
  • edited September 2013

OK I agree with you on QQ-AA (w/o a heart) playing exactly the same in this situation - I do think villain will be flatting some QQ-AA preflop instead of 4betting but think all 3 hands are pure bluff catchers whereby villain isn't shoving worse for value.

I'm curious though what hands sit at the higher end of our value range here? The only set we can have is JJ (with Jh) and we have maybe 4 combos of flushes? (AhKh, AhQh + 2 random flush hands we 3bet bluffed with pre) So that's 6 combos of better hands than AAh If we're betting QQ without the Qh for value then surely only having 6 combination of hands to call with isn't enough hands in our calling range to make villain indifferent to bluffing.

Also of course having a FD with our OP is relevant because it means we have more equity against villains shoving range. Unfortunately don't have pokerstove at hand but if we give villain a range of some sets, some pair + heart/straight + heart, Ahx & some made flushes and then we put in QQ, KK, AA (with and w/o hearts) seperately you can easily see that having a pair with a FD will give us higher equity in the hand. And that a higher pair as well with a FD might give us some increased equity (eg. With the Ah we can outdraw all of his flushes but with the Qh we might be drawing dead to his Kh or Ah flushes) - We can muddle about with villains range and see what his range needs to be for calling with our different OP+h to be correct.

• edited September 2013
    your missing my point- i do know that having a FD ourselves increases our equity vs villans range but my point that its irrelevant is due to not getin the price to draw when villans value range is far better than our calling range- yes we can bluff catch but making the decion based on possible outs is incorrect.

lets agree to disagree that u still think that your cut off to calling would be QQ=fold and KK with FD and higher hands is a call- i still think this is the incorrect cut off point and for the incorrect reasons given the action and price etc
  • edited September 2013
    I really am lost now. I'm not sure if you're missing my point or I'm missing your point. Making a decision based on possible outs is not incorrect when it increases our equity against villains range to such a point that we have the required equity to call given the price.

When villain goes all in we need to win the pot at least 28.5% of the time to make calling correct. Lets assume we have AAh. If we're up against a set every time then we have 22.73% equity and folding would be correct. If we're up against a flush we have around 14% at aguess (some FD's are SFD's otherwise it would be 15.91%) - against villains actual holding we would have only 11.36%. But we are assuming here that villain has some bluffs in his range. If he has JsTh we have a massive 84.09% to win the hand. Against QhTc/QcTh we have 86.36%. Lets assume he has 6 combos of sets (1 JJ, 3 99 and 2 77) and 4 combos of made flushes (KhTh, Th8h, KhJh, 5h6h) So 10 combo of hands where we have less than the required equity - avg would be about 18.5% at a guess.

Then we start adding in his bluff combos where our equity is 85%... just 3 combos and that equity we have would rapidly increase from 18.5% to possibly the equity we need to call. Also I've just now realised that villains value range might be wider and he may have some 79 or J9 hands. Actually J9 can be somewhat discounted since only Jh9x calls flop but only suited J9 calls pre. So he could have maybe 3 combos of 2 pair hands which we have 36.36% equity with our AAh making it a profitable call vs these hands.

Anyway the point is that we can definitely "Bluff catch" with AAh because the equity needed is there if villain is bluffing wide enough (3/4 combos of bluffs isn't even unreasonably wide)
  • edited September 2013
    fwiw u guys seem to be going off on one

vill never has pure bluffs

worse hand is AhJx

if we have AhAx as a bluff catcher with good get there equity verus made hands
    The fact we have Ah takes away all semi bluffs from vill range leaving just made sets and made flushes.

Have not done the math but I am sure it's putting us in a dog spot
    -

i don't think we can range vill wide enough to bluff catch with Ah or Kh.

• edited September 2013

I know that villain never has pure bluffs but they could have more than just AhJx... such as TTh, QQh, KKh. (as I said before I think villain will flat these hands pre) Especially if he knows your v-betting as wide as QQ with no heart OTT then shoving with TTh or JTh as a bluff makes perfect sense to do.

• edited September 2013
    you missed my point yes but kinda answered it urself now- 

my point from the beguining was it doesnt matter if we havve QQ-AA they play the same, i do know with AAh u may have higher equity but im not sayin otherwise - IM ONLY SAYING its still an incorect call givin action- lets jus agree to disagree on this but ur math also looks a bit out- im not spending my afternoon goin into exacts but it looks to me like were gettin ~2/1 on a call so need to be correct 33.3% vs villans range- im not gonna bother stoving anything but the range u have assigned is way off-  

plus ur missing my poin that we have no reads- ur making a complete guess at villans range and if we cannot play exploitative poker (due to lack of reads) we should turn to theory. 

• edited September 2013

Not double checking but 99% sure my maths is correct and we need 28.5%.

I know that I'm making assumptions about villains range but when you have no reads that's what you do - make assumptions about villains range based on the tendancies of regs at that level. You can turn to GTO as well but to do that you still need to make some assumptions on what a reg will do otherwise there is just no way you can apply GTO.

I'm interested to hear what you think a sensible range would be if you think my range is way off. Especially given that earlier in the thread you said you disliked villains shove with Th8h and also that any hand of ours that isn't a flush is now a bluff catcher. So if you don't think villain should be shoving Th8h, what hands should he be shoving with?

And also interested in what theory dictates we should be calling with here then if not a hand like AhAx which is near the top of the hands we are betting on the turn (earlier you said theory dictates we need to call 50% of the hands we bet for villain to not have a profitable shove with ATC OTT) - I mean are we only calling with AhKh, AhQh and JJh? We don't want to be b/calling with a low flush given what you think villains tight range is because with a low flush we will be drawing dead a huge % of the time.

• edited September 2013
    gonna put this to bed now but good discussion mr ivanovic..  :) 

poker is a complex game we could both be wrong but hey ho..

imo i didnt think that if we had AA or QQ we shouldn't call as imo their effectivly the same but i may be wrong- i see them playin exactly the same given action and cannot draw to flush even with a heart- and i dint like the jam with villans hand because of how strong it looks- and it gives us a chance to fold, id prefer the call or raise or rvr as it would keep our range less exploitative and rancid is definatley capable of firing thin value bets on the rvr..