You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Approaches to the game

There are limitless different methods to playing poker, which ones do you use?

I don't necessarily mean whether you're Tight Aggressive or a Maniac, but do you like to use as much math in your game as possible, like Chris Ferguson? Or are you a read-dependant and feel player, like Daniel Negreanu?

Or, are you like me, and are you just too bad to think about what approach to take so you just play the cards you're dealt? :)

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I try to use math in my game as much as I can but TBH my maths really ain't that great!

I guess mainly I'm a kinda instinct player. If I getting something like 3/1 or more pre flop with reasonable hands then I'll come along for the ride but it's mainly post flop that I struggle.
  • edited June 2009
    I'll use maths if my brain can process it in time but it's only the basics. Use it a lot more live as  I've got more time to work it out.(using fingers and toes). I'd like to say I also use things like texture of the flop. betting patterns etc but sometimes I just can't see past my own cards!! I 've got a style of play that has kept me in profit so I don't think i'll change it too much but it's good to learn new things and adapt.
  • edited June 2009
    I think that the maths is important when you're starting out. Knowing the pot odds and chances of hitting your outs. Plus short stack play is mainly mathmatical. 

Then reads become important if you want to be a really good player postflop.

As for me I don't think I have a natural talent for poker. But my game is technically quite sound. I play too mechanically and don't take enough time to think through tough decisions. I guess my brain is in autopilot most of the time!
  • edited June 2009
    pots odds are very important, but i use position as much if not more regardless of what cards iv got.. :)  whoops just give away too much info...
  • edited June 2009
    i agree with aquanaut, sometimes it feels like i just switch off from everything else and go on autopilot which is fine for most DYM's but in MTT's and cash games can be hellish, anyone know the best way to stop the cruise control?
  • edited June 2009
    i try to use math online
    proper poker , not online , i.e with a load of friends to win your night out lol i go for abit of both
    can get a better read off some1 face to face than on a computer screen
    i meen online u can tell what kind of player they are , loose , aggressive blaa blaa , but face to face you can  tell a whole lot more
    i think the best aproach to the game is to keep mixing up your play any how , dont let some1 no what kind of player you are , so worth changing your play now and again especially if your on a table with familiar faces
  • edited June 2009
     some times  use  maths  or  a good  read  but  sometimes  i play  the player  not the cards
  • edited June 2009

I think you should be very awear of the way your table foe's see you, your table image is a great tool to use along with position,betting ect but you should also know your foe's eventhough you can't see them face to face they all give clue's has to how they play,folding betting action,limping and thier position when they do it.
    Don't get me wrong i'm by far no expert porb not even average but basic math table image, a good read and of cause LUCK is the way i try to play.ALL HAIL TO THE GODS.

• edited June 2009
    i most definateley play the cards not the person in online poker , there are too many fish out there , let them try there bluffing and just take them to the cleaners when ya hit on the flop ,turn and river. i do tend to lose to bad beats mostly but if i am in front 9 times out of10 i win more often than lose , won my fair share of tourneys on few dif sites , since on here have won head hunter bounty multi , and the other day won the 989 man freeroll, so playing the cards works for me :) long may it continue , never lost my original stake when opening account with any poker site always won on em . happy days