You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

best hole cards in omaha?

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat

is it Ad Ah Kd Kh?

Comments

• edited December 2009
    In Response to best hole cards in omaha?:
    is it Ad Ah Kd Kh?
    Posted by webby234

Hi, no it's actually T,J,Q, K double suited. so for eample KT hearts, JQ clubs. This way you have a very good chance to hit str8ts and flushes, Beware of the worse hand 2222
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: best hole cards in omaha?:
    In Response to best hole cards in omaha? : Hi, no it's actually T,J,Q, K double suited. so for eample KT hearts, JQ clubs. This way you have a very good chance to hit str8ts and flushes, Beware of the worse hand 2222
    Posted by salazar
    i dont play much omaha but surey you would prefer to have AAKQ ds over KQJT ds?

webby while i assume AAKK would be a favourite over most hands preflop the money is rarely gonna go in preflop and theres gonna be a lot of flops where you are left with one pair and a lot of tough decisions.

• edited December 2009
    AAj10 double soooooted i prefer.All hands are close pre flop no matter what you get dealt it is usually around on average figures between 40-60% if two players are involved in the hand.
  • edited December 2009
     Of the hands talked about i would much rather have KQJ10 double suited. The reason for this is i have 6 very playable hands and therefore the most options possible to end up with the winning hand. The value of a pocket pair is massive in texas but in omaha it is less so, because unless you set up with it then it pales into insignificance. Double suited is preferable but i think having at least one suit covered for flushing is essential. And because you must use 2 from your hand the four flush does not exist. With a hand like this i am open to all winning combos from straights to royals.

Because most of the action takes place after the flop the best hand to have is the one that puts you in the best position then. But i would much rather have a hand with 6 playable hands than 3 or 4.
  • edited December 2009
    AAKK has the best PF equity.
  • edited December 2009
    As you will generally play Pot Limit Omaha so the money can't go in pre flop (unless your very low stacked for the blind size) then Pre Flop equity isn't worth all that much. It's all about post flop connection in this game so due to the playability of KQJ10 Double suited over all the streets then a lot of people would prefer it. To be honest your not folding either until the fop so it's all about texture of flop and not about your hole cards equity pre
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to best hole cards in omaha?:
    is it Ad Ah Kd Kh?
    Posted by webby234
    PLease see this link you are correct it is the best starting hand

http://www.pokersyte.com/omaha_holdem_poker.htm
  • edited December 2009

For beginners only play these hands until you want to open up

The top 30 Omaha starting hands are as follows:

1. A-A-K-K11. K-Q-J-T21. Q-Q-A-K
    2. A-A-J-T12. K-K-T-T22. Q-Q-A-J
    3. A-A-Q-Q13. K-K-A-Q23. Q-Q-A-T
    4. A-A-J-J14. K-K-A-J24. Q-Q-K-J
    5. A-A-T-T15. K-K-A-T25. Q-Q-K-T
    6. A-A-9-916. K-K-Q-J26. Q-Q-J-T
    7. A-A-x-x17. K-K-Q-T27. Q-Q-J-9
    8. J-T-9-818. K-K-J-T28. Q-Q-9-9
    9. K-K-Q-Q19. Q-Q-J-J29. J-J-T-T
    10. K-K-J-J20. Q-Q-T-T30. J-J-T-9

All hands in the top 30 list must be double-suited.

• edited December 2009

Here's a reply I made on this subject in another Thread. Please remember this for simplicity - in Hold-Em, A-A is usually about 80/20 Pre-Flop. In Omaha High, A-A-K-K is often only 60-40 pre-flop. So when your A-A-K-K gets turned over, it is in no way a bad-beat.

"....Yes, A-A-K-K DS.

However......

Optimally, you MUST get it Heads Up - it plays best v one oppo, so you MUST try to get the money in pre-flop. (Post flop is often too late).

And therin lies the problem. It's usually pretty obvious when someone has A-A-K-K or similar, by the pre-flop betting pattern. So what other players do in that spot - entirely correctly - is call with holdings like 6-7-8-9* & such like. If the two holdings are both DS, & have "opposite" Suits, the A-A-K-K is only 60-40 to win.

So, if I have something like 6-7-8-9* I'm calling pre all day. We can get off on the flop if we have to, but remember, A-A-K-K man will be ramming any flop. And we want him to 40% of the time......

So, 6-7-8-9* can get off on the Flop, but A-A-K-K man rarely can.

* In this case, be disciplined - NO DANGLERS....."
  • edited December 2009
    thanks for the info on this guys, its all just a learning process at the moment and any advice you can give me i will take it on board.

just a quick question tikay, if i carry on playing a lot of omaha will it affect my chances of getting picked for total player?
  • edited December 2009
    thanks for the info on this guys, its all just a learning process at the moment and any advice you can give me i will take it on board. just a quick question tikay, if i carry on playing a lot of omaha will it affect my chances of getting picked for total player?
    Posted by webby234
    No, there's no reason it should.

Play whatever you play best, & you have a chance.
  • edited December 2009

So if you get AAKK different suits UTG on a 10 max table,  would you advise a limp/reraise instead of a raise as your hand is almost worthless against afew other players out of position?
  • edited December 2009
    So if you get AAKK different suits UTG on a 10 max table,  would you advise a limp/reraise instead of a raise as your hand is almost worthless against afew other players out of position?
    Posted by DeuceAK-47
    Absolutely!

If I Raise UTG (it's Pot Limit) I pick up about 5 callers, & my hand is dead. 

But SOMEONE will Raise it up, & then we can ping it, & hopefully take it there & then, or be Heads-Up.

IF we Limp, & get 5 Callers, & don't improve on the Flop, bin it to any bet.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: best hole cards in omaha? : Absolutely! If I Raise UTG (it's Pot Limit) I pick up about 5 callers, & my hand is dead.  But SOMEONE will Raise it up, & then we can ping it, & hopefully take it there & then, or be Heads-Up. IF we Limp, & get 5 Callers, & don't improve on the Flop, bin it to any bet.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I like this play tk but it must be said if you are playing against good players you are telling them you have aces giving them a chance to outplay you post flop if you miss.So it is better to do this move with less than 50bb taking away difficult post flop decisions.