You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

cryptic pt 4

Comments

• edited September 2013
    13 flashflush

Cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited September 2013

Well done teddy leaves only 3 more
  • edited September 2013
    might be best to try anbd crack these together, thoughts:

9) Two horses enter gambling city and lose their direction whilst finding steps. (8)

two horses could refer to gg/nag/nap or maybe famous horses: trigger, mr ed etc?

entering gambling city could mean inserted into LV, VEGAS, MACAU ETC. are the first and last letters L____V etc?

lose their direction could mean remove letters that indicate poles NESW or Left / Right

finding steps could be 'list', 'table' or 123 abc etc.

cheers,
    TEDDY

• edited September 2013
    12) Sarah's little boy loves poker. Shame he plays sit and goes so predictably. (10)

sarahs: cox, champion, ferguson etc? any famous sons?
    coxylboro doesnt fit but might be on similar lines

plays "sit and goes": could be an anagram, the number of letters fit. could just be a sick rub-down by talon though lol

playing predictably: limping, ABC etc?

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited September 2013
    12 - johnconnor? as in sarah connor, as in terminator, complete guess :/
  • edited September 2013
     Capes are easy to find when the pound goes left not right. (4,8)

really stumped here. synonyms for capes? hood, coat etc?

easy to find: plain etc

pound in crosswords usally clues to lb 'the pound' right could be 'lbeth' summat like that.

strugglling tbh lol

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: cryptic pt 4:
    12 - johnconnor? as in sarah connor, as in terminator, complete guess :/
    Posted by RLT16
    on the money.

plays eit n goes predictable = thats all he plays

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited September 2013
    woop go me 1 for 1 time to retire
  • edited September 2013
     and also a reference to his very big thread the ABC of DYMs. Correct
  • edited September 2013
    Is Glenelg there??  And if not why not! Great effort guys, I'm 4 from the top & 5 from the bottom!  Impressed! Is that a "Donism"?

Pad
  • edited September 2013
    good to be still regarded as a forum reg, haven't been around much lately :)
  • edited September 2013
    Is Glenelg there??  And if not why not! Great effort guys, I'm 4 from the top & 5 from the bottom!  Impressed! Is that a "Donism"?   Pad
    Posted by Glenelg
     What you mean you missed it had you at No 9 3/4
  • edited September 2013
    3 capes could be a ref to jeoff capes the famous strongman with his budgies!
  • edited September 2013
    I have not been the answer to any of these quizzes yet...

Pig enters pastie shop.... (8)

:)
  • edited September 2013
    I have not been the answer to any of these quizzes yet... Pig enters pastie shop.... (8) :)
    Posted by GREGHOGG
     Too predictable and easy
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: cryptic pt 4 :  Too predictable and easy
    Posted by Talon
    They say that about my poker style too.. fml :)

• edited September 2013
     Right time for bed. If the answers have not arrived by the morning will post them up with explanations
  • edited September 2013
    jeff stelling? no3 Pound sterling goes left not right Remove the R and replace it with the l
  • edited September 2013
    9 ref to 2 groups One direction and Steps just a thought.

9) Two horses enter gambling city and lose their direction whilst finding steps. 

lose 1 band and find another in vegas. Probably way off and Im lost when it comes to horses.

horses enter - one = 8 letters hrsseter = ana? streets h? peter ? LV? Steve hrlsr?
  • edited September 2013
    jeff stelling? no3 Pound sterling goes left not right Remove the R and replace it with the l
    Posted by a00rock
     Brilliant work and spot on
  • edited September 2013

The lastone to go was a personal favourite of mine and made oh so sweet when the person involved even posted on the thread to complain that he had not been included.So piece by piece.

9) Two horses enter gambling city and lose their direction whilst finding steps. (8)

Horse= gg so 2 horses =gggg
     Gambling city is Reno. so 2 horses enter reno gives us gregnogg.

Lose direction normally refers to removing a letter representing a compass direction in this case N
     Whilst finding means a substitution so N comes out and is replaced by a member of steps H
     Giving us greghogg.

Ok not the easiest clue in the world but it did make me smile
  • edited September 2013
    Nice 1 Talon good work, I was way off with (9) tho. Probably the easiest clue of all if you just picked up ggs. Teddy was so close lol
  • edited September 2013
    Nice 1 Talon good work, I was way off with (9) tho. Probably the easiest clue of all if you just picked up ggs. Teddy was so close lol
    Posted by a00rock
     It is the essence of the cryptic. If you think the right way in the clue then they become easy. But if you think in the wrong direction then the easiest clue can become impossible to you. Glad you enjoyed them. Was good to have some fun on the forum for a change
  • edited September 2013
    Nice one Talon

I did dream about Gregghogg last night !
    (that doesn't sound right does it) :-))
  • edited September 2013
    It's Friday, so is there a part 5? :D

I've only managed to get 1 answer from the first 4 threads :(
  • edited September 2013
    Bit of a struggle doing more due to running out of forum regs. Need the relevance to make it interesting. Will see what i can come up with
  • edited September 2013
    Bit of a struggle doing more due to running out of forum regs. Need the relevance to make it interesting. Will see what i can come up with
    Posted by Talon
    Could do a sport/film/music/celebrity version?
  • edited September 2013
     The lastone to go was a personal favourite of mine and made oh so sweet when the person involved even posted on the thread to complain that he had not been included.So piece by piece. 9) Two horses enter gambling city and lose their direction whilst finding steps. (8) Horse= gg so 2 horses =gggg  Gambling city is Reno. so 2 horses enter reno gives us gregnogg.  Lose direction normally refers to removing a letter representing a compass direction in this case N  Whilst finding means a substitution so N comes out and is replaced by a member of steps H  Giving us greghogg.  Ok not the easiest clue in the world but it did make me smile
    Posted by Talon

Nice one. I actually got the gg gg bit plus loss of direction stuff but was working around 'vegas' which obv was wrong and stumped me.

• edited September 2013
    Great work Colin and also a00rock for getting Jeff Stelling. That one was really bothering me.

As for GregHogg, I'm annoyed I didn't get that one as I had the 'two horses' down as gg and gg and understood the direction clue, so really should have got it from there. I got hung up on the gambling city being Vegas. That was the problem.

Just spotted Maxally's post who got to the exactly the same spot.

Really enjoyed this.

Hope there's a Part 5! Hint, hint... :-)
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: cryptic pt 4 : Could do a sport/film/music/celebrity version?
    Posted by splashies
    This.

:-)