You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker Books

edited September 2013 in Poker Chat
Just wondering if any of you have used any poker books in the past for strategy/improving your game? Recommendations?

Comments

• edited September 2013
    I used ''how to bum hunt and demolish 4nl'' by a mysterious author called CCF. 

It ruined what little game I had.
  • edited September 2013
    I've heard you say you play MTTs so I'd recommend either....

Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand At a Time : Volume 1 and 2 (I haven't read 3 yet so can't comment)

volume 1 = from the start of the tournament up to bubble play

volume 2 = when the bubble is burst all the way up to playing HU for the win.

OR

Harrington's books on MTTs (can't remember their exact name)
  • edited September 2013
    Harrington on Hold 'em...

How can you not remember that name, Lambert? lol

Volumes 1 and 2 of Harrington are good, OP. I was told not to bother with Volume 3 because it's just hand examples apparently.
  • edited September 2013
    For players who a new to the game I'd suggest Texas hold 'em Poker begin and win by Paul Mendelson, it's very basic but will definitely point new players in right direction.

Follow that with a bit of Phil Gordon. His series of little books are great, an easy read, very entertaining, with lots of good advice and information.

For MTT can't go far wrong with Harrington on Hold 'em. At times did feel a bit like being back at school, but well worth the effort.

Can anyone suggest books on playing cash?
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Poker Books:
    For players who a new to the game I'd suggest Texas hold 'em Poker begin and win by Paul Mendelson, it's very basic but will definitely point new players in right direction. Follow that with a bit of Phil Gordon. His series of little books are great, an easy read, very entertaining, with lots of good advice and information. For MTT can't go far wrong with  Harrington on Hold 'em. At times did feel a bit like being back at school, but well worth the effort. Can anyone suggest books on playing cash?
    Posted by Rich_Poor
    Just google "Ryan Fee's cash guide".

That PDF/book he wrote is brilliant, it's tough going at times cos it goes into massive details about the different dynamics involved to consider for every possible situation depending on which position you open/call/raise from and which position you're opponent opens/calls/raises from. It's very long, but worth it.
  • edited September 2013
    watch channel 861 and play is best advice 

books are past there sale by date 
  • edited September 2013
    i think books are dog plop. also theres no point in a novice reading about something they dont properly understand and not processing the information right. you cant go wrong with training sites for me. some s£xy poker on deuces cracked for mtt's by guys in profit of £200.000 and even more. 
  • edited September 2013
    People love saying books are out of date but it's all relative. Reading a book is never gonna turn you into Phil Ivey but it can turn a real novice into someone with a half decent game. These books are still gonna give a novice a good idea about starting hand selection, position, stack size, hand reading/putting people on ranges, how to play 10-20xBB etc etc. If a complete noob reads a good book on MTTs and doesn't learn loads, it aint the book that's at fault.

If you read a few decent books on MTTs, really took on board what it says, stayed disciplined, I'd be amazed if you wouldn't be a winning player on Sky and all for what... £4-£5 and a bit of time.

Obv cash is a different ball game altogether but a lot of stages of MTT can be more 'standard'.

FWIW, the first MTT book I suggested is written by 3 online MTT pros who are all well over 200k in profit afaik.

I think the issue is, people think they'll just read a book once, speed through it and expect it's gonna magically make them tons better without putting any work in themselves. That aint gonna work, but it aint gonna work trying that method with training vids or anything else either. Put simply, being good at poker just isn't easy.
  • edited September 2013
    I just got the mental game of poker by jared tendler. Its an easy read well set out and encourages you to jump around to chapters that you think will benefit you best. Im about 2/3 of the way thorugh so far and there are some simple concepts that seem glaringly obvious once you read them that i think will improve my game. Its all about dealing with tilt apose to the poker strat side of things but i think its worth a read to up your winrate.

This is the 1st poker book i have read though so not sure how much it benefits in comparison to others