You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sunday's Primo with Hartigan & Stapes (***OFFICIAL LIVE SHOW THREAD***)

edited September 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi everyone,

I'm back from Barcelona, and back on 861 this weekend, with everyone's favourite bandit...

We'll be focussing on the Primo, with four hours of live action between 8pm and midnight. But make sure you're watching from the very beginning (7pm) for 60 minutes of Master Cash coverage, and for details on how you can win FREE entry to next Thursday's £12k Sky Sports Bounty Hunter in...

'THE PRIMO LAST LONGER'

All will be explained in the first hour of Sunday's show. By the way, I trust everyone had a good time at SPT Newcastle last weekend? Did anyone have to travel more than 250 miles to get there? I love stories of epic SPT voyages, like GREGHOGG's super-cheap bus ride to Glasgow, and The_Don90's 12-hour, overnight coach ride to Birmingham. Out of interest...

What's the longest you've travelled, or the most ridiculous journey you've made, in order to play a game of poker?

E-mail:  skyopen@bskyb.com
Twitter:  #SkyPokerTV

See you on Sunday at 7pm!

Comments

• edited September 2013
    A 300 mile, 6 hour round-trip. Interrupted by 10 minutes of poker.

SPT Cardiff 2012

:-(
  • edited September 2013
    to play poker i would say cardiff would be the furthest. Birmingham the most frustrating with a 9 hour bus journey each way. 

Probably the most redic, and technically not to play poker. I used to work for a well known poker league. Anyways i was at a venue one day, and after was promised a lift. The lift let me down and i was left with an 18 mile hike through country roads (1am in the morning) to get home. Given my lack of cash at the time this meant i had no choice. 
  • edited September 2013
    My journey from Oxfordshire to Newcastle last weekend was pretty much dead on 250 miles each way. The plan was to take turns of driving with Emma but it ended up being much closer to 80/20 than 50/50. Best part of 5 hours each way.
  • edited September 2013
    SPT Luton last year was a bit of a 'journey' for me. Myself and my mate (both from York) qualified, so he drove down on the morning. So far, so normal you may think. However, I'd been working nights in the build up to it. So I got up at 4.30pm as normal on the Friday to do my 12 hour night shift (6-6), home for about 6.30am on the Saturday morning. Killed a couple of hours before we set off about 9am. Played SPT (busted about 4 hours in), played the side event, watched almost all the final table of the ME, then we set off back up to York about 2am, getting back for around 5ish.

Suffice to say, after 36 hours with no sleep, I was a zombie! I really don't recommend playing a tournament after 12 hours of work and no sleep, not great prep!
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Sunday's Primo with Hartigan & Stapes (***OFFICIAL LIVE SHOW THREAD***):
    A 300 mile, 6 hour round-trip. Interrupted by  10 minutes of poker. SPT Cardiff 2012 :-(
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Don't exaggerate, it was never 10 minutes.

Edit: Reminds me of the post knock-out, pre-tournament interview.  Now there's a first!
  • edited September 2013
    Ive only ever been to one poker live event... and that was SPT Nottingham.  Still an interesting journey.

I was using my SatNav on my phone and just as I got into Nottingham my phone died.  I kind of knew how to get to my hotel (Pah - I say hotel - Travelodge) so after about 20 minutes skirting around Nottingham I stumbled on the industrial park where I thought the travelodge was... but there was noone around and I couldnt see it.  So after driving about trying to find a sign or an indication I was in the right place I decided I was in the wrong park.  I drove off and just started guessing as to where I was supposed to go.  I ended up in a cul-de-sac where I met a guy walking his dog and asked him where I should be going.  He pointed me back to the same park I had just been to.  Turns out I was parked out the travelodge for 20 mins without even realising.  Still maintain it wasn't my fault... there wasn't any signs for a travelodge... just for the local pub!  Northern priorities eh?

Thats an hour of my life I'm not getting back.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Sunday's Primo with Hartigan & Stapes (***OFFICIAL LIVE SHOW THREAD***):
    A 300 mile, 6 hour round-trip. Interrupted by  10 minutes of poker. SPT Cardiff 2012 :-(
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    As far as the 'distance travelled' vs 'amount of poker played' ratio is concerned, this one's gonna be hard to beat!

• edited September 2013
    A few years back i went with my girlfriend to Balckpool to see a cpl of mates. We got playing poker and she soon got bored so we arranged to meet at the bus stop for the last bus at 10.45pm.

I lost at poker but I was a cpl of minutes early  for the bus as we had return tickets back to Lancaster. Unfortanetly my girlfriend wasn,t anywhere in sight.

The bus came and for a split second i thought about geting it and leaving her as we hadn,t been seeing each other that long anyway. Been the gent i am I waited. A cpl of minutes later she emerged from a pub over the road after she,d popped in to use the loo.

I can,t repeat what i said but we had a nice 28 mile walk home back to Lancaster. We split up shortly after. Should have left her in Blackpool but we live and learn

Have a good show guys

Paul
  • edited September 2013

Has anyone ever travelled to a different country to play poker...and come back the same day?

• edited September 2013
    Has anyone ever travelled to a different country to play poker...and come back the same day?
    Posted by J-Hartigan

Please see Richard Oxford's post above.
  • edited September 2013
    There used to be a forum reg called Hjaitland who was from the Shetlands and who came to the Manchester SPT a couple of years ago - took him about 3 days to get there I think and he was out before the first break.
  • edited September 2013
    longest for me was spt birmingham 6 hour drive both ways. pick up few players on the way journey down was ok, driving back a tad rough and everybody else sleeping in car not as much fun
  • edited September 2013

Longest distance to date I have travelled to play poker was from my home last week in South Bristol to Newcastle for the SPT - a distance which from my house is 302.0 miles one way (door to door) - I had options, drive, train or plane - not being pig-headed the choice of the "plane" was simple as I live 5 mins from Bristol Airport, cost me £95 return and took 1 hour 5minutes .. and on a more important note my return date of Monday 9th Sept meant an early morning flight (After leaving aspers at 2am) to ensure I was back before my son (Lewis) woke up (2nd birthday) and ironically my daughter Amy's first day at school - rest assured I caught my flight and got home around 8am with the assistance of 5 alarm clocks + snooze I might add,  otherwise I think I would had to have stayed in Newcastle and be currently looking for a new home and a new job lol

Playing main and mini, plus donating to cash :)

Good Luck all

POKEY2011

Chris
    Bristol
  • edited September 2013
    Thought id contribute a nit fold... hopefully correct.. MC4... cant see him not have a flush here... meh
    card blockers maybe...
    I should prob call riv, i am such a nit
  • edited September 2013
    There used to be a forum reg called Hjaitland who was from the Shetlands and who came to the Manchester SPT a couple of years ago - took him about 3 days to get there I think and he was out before the first break.
    Posted by SoLack
    Coincidentally that player has just appeared on the Primo leader board
  • edited September 2013
    James

Gl 2 moro in the Sky Presenters Tournament

A piece of advice from a non poker movie
    "Why do the Yankees Always win? Because the opposition can't stop looking at their pinstripes"

Be careful not to have the same problem looking at Anna and Sarah. They maybe, ahem, dressed to impress if you know what i mean !

Right back to concentrating on my last longer bet!

memfno
  • edited September 2013
    Any chance of getting a list of players involved in the last longer? I hope my email got through!
  • edited September 2013
    Players still in the Primo last longer!

BELLA_LASSA
    AJMILTON
    HHYFTRFTDR
    GREGHOGG
    CLIVE_SOP
    MEMFNO
    SIDARLOKIN
    MSDOS
    ICE_TIGER
    ROSSYBEE16
    POKEY2011
    SOLACK
  • edited September 2013
    Hey Louie did you not get my email!?

I emailed at 7.26 if that helps.
  • edited September 2013
    Quads yet again Mr Stapleton? i'm guessing you've been reading a certain forum thread?
  • edited September 2013
    out of the primo/LL 

Trips vs trips I was outkicked...

Gl all!
  • edited September 2013
    At least the Packers didn't have to pit themselves against both the 49ers and the incompetent refs this week

Washington 20-38 Green Bay

This year isn't quite going as well for Robert Griffin III as it was supposed to, is it?
  • edited September 2013
    I'm told you want to me to tell you how to pronounce my name ---- it's DooDough
  • edited September 2013
    Hi Guys,

Really enjoying your  commentary on the "Cash game II". I know, just catching up....

I have a question for you both.... 
    In your opinion.. which is best in poker? (DON'T say it depends!) 
    A. Aggression. or
    B. Patience.

• edited September 2013
    Out AA - JJ flop k 4 J .....

Must be nice ... on to the next one!!!

GL all
  • edited September 2013
    Just seen your analysis of my hand against Daveyt86.

I called his 3 bet pre-flop and check called his bet on the flop as I'd made same pre-flop raise the previous hand so wasn't sure he even had a hand - I got the answer  on the turn.
  • edited September 2013

What is it with players that make up silly names?  I'll never understand.

In terms of ( miles travelled / number of games played live ) to play live poker, I must be winning.

I have travelled to three SPT's ( Once from Paris in the early hours of the morning ) and still have not played live.

Just turned up to meet with friends I have met on the forum / at the tables.

I still remember the first time I went to SPT Luton.  I was amazed at how tall James was, and how Orange Tikay was!

Great show from the best pairing at Sky Poker ( Apart from maybe Anna and Sarah )

Regards

Pen Fifteen

• edited September 2013
    out of last longer and primo obvs
  • edited September 2013
    Posted by J-Hartigan

Yes I drove from Scotland to England to play and then drove back same day  ;o)

• edited September 2013

Good evening chaps. Did you enjoy your time in Barcelona?

James, can we agree that it is IMPERATIVE that Richard does not win the Presenters' Sit and Go? We're still hearing about the SPT side event and his eleventh place in the Primo. Eleventh, for goodness sake! Rich will be unbearable if you let him win this!

So, I think I can speak for the entire poker community in saying that none of us will think ill of you and the ladies, if you choose to openly collude against Richard. Think of the greater good, James. Don't let us down.

Have a great show.