You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Taking poker serious now

edited September 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi guys just some advice really, been playing on sky for about a year now with bankrolls being up and down but have the fundementals of the game. I really want to take poker serious now and work my way up the stackes and become a good player. I am going to deposit £200 into my account and work on bankroll management. Can anyone help me in what to grind and how to improve my game more to become a winning player 

Comments

• edited September 2013
    What games do you play, MTTs, cash, SnGs/DYMs or a bit of everything?
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Taking poker serious now:
    What games do you play, MTTs, cash, SnGs/DYMs or a bit of everything?
    Posted by Lambert180
    I play a bit of all to be honest B/H, DYM's and cash
  • edited September 2013
    First thing I'd suggest is, if you have £200...

MTTs/BHs - Don't buy in to a game over £5.75 (I'd stick to mostly £2.30s but the odd £5.75 won't kill you).

DYMs - Don't buy in to a game over £5.50 (£3.30 would be safer though).

Cash - Don't play anything higher than 8NL

Once you got some kind of bankroll management sorted, you got the best chance of surviving... then you just need to work on being good at the game.

==============================================================================

Both tiny samples but your MTT stats look alot better than your SnG stats on Sharkscope, and generally the MTTs you can afford to buy in to will be alot softer and with a much better potential of return than playing £5 DYMs
  • edited September 2013
    First thing I'd suggest is, if you have £200... MTTs/BHs - Don't buy in to a game over £5.75 (I'd stick to mostly £2.30s but the odd £5.75 won't kill you). DYMs - Don't buy in to a game over £5.50 (£3.30 would be safer though). Cash - Don't play anything higher than 8NL Once you got some kind of bankroll management sorted, you got the best chance of surviving... then you just need to work on being good at the game. ============================================================================== Both tiny samples but your MTT stats look alot better than your SnG stats on Sharkscope, and generally the MTTs you can afford to buy in to will be alot softer and with a much better potential of return than playing £5 DYMs
    Posted by Lambert180
    Have u got holdem manger I have it but is very complicated to work out
  • edited September 2013
    I use PokerTracker 4 not Holdem Manager but neither of them can be used on Sky so I only use it when playing on a few other sites which is pretty rare for me recently.

I can't speak for HEM, but PT4 was pretty easy to set up and get running,
  • edited September 2013
    I use PokerTracker 4 not Holdem Manager but neither of them can be used on Sky so I only use it when playing on a few other sites which is pretty rare for me recently. I can't speak for HEM, but PT4 was pretty easy to set up and get running,
    Posted by Lambert180
    but dont work on sky?
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Taking poker serious now : but dont work on sky?
    Posted by moyle06
    What levels do u play at and what did u start at
  • edited September 2013
    No tracking software works on Sky, they all work on the basis that you download all your hand histories to your PC and then upload them to the tracking software so it has all the data but on Sky you can't download your hand histories so you can't use HUDs on here etc. (I think it's a good thing).

I won't go into too much detail cos I've written a blog about what I was doing this last month on Sky which is due to be uploaded for people to read any day now. But I started by depositing £20 (luckily have never had to redeposit) and playing a bit  of everything, cheap DYMs, HU SnGs, MTTs, 4NL but whatever I played, I did it at the lowest possible stakes at first. Now I play 20NL, 30NL and 40NL mostly, play the odd MTT but nothing else really.

Here's a link to my diary on here if you're interested :

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3afd97fc71-214d-4973-b342-523b610f2fe8
  • edited September 2013
    I used poker tracker too, was very simple to set up as Lambert says though they will not work on sky. 

• edited September 2013
    i burnt through lot of my initial deposit here through tilt leading to poor BRM. when it got low down to the last £10 i decided that i would redeposit rather than just spew it for the sake of it. it was the best thing i ever did. really gives you focus and a clean slate to work with. i'd advise setting yourself realistic but challenging targets and also get a decent spreadsheet  / poker results tracker so you can see objectively how you're running, what stakes / games you do well at etc.

the other thing is to accept that you may need to deposit again / have losing runs. there's no shame in paying a small amount every so often to play a game you love. much worse is to tell yourself that you are too good to be running this bad: if you need to, either drop down or top up.  no shame in that. burning a roll chasing losses feels dirty for a reason.

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited September 2013

The one piece of advice i would throw in to this mix is to be brutally honest with yourself.

Check over hands you have played and if there is something wrong with what you have done deal with that insyead of blaming the opponent or luck. We all make mistakes on the tables and the only way to improve is to try to eliminate these mistakes especially the ones we make continually.

So check your hand histories and ask yourself important questions.

Why did i take the line i did in the hand?
     What range did i put my opponent on?
     What did i hope to achieve with my bet?
     Could i have won more/ lost less?

And most importantly. How could i have played the hand better?

Honesty with yourself and good BRM will take you quite a long way. Unsure how far you can go but if you follow good rules then you will do fine
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Taking poker serious now : but dont work on sky?
    Posted by moyle06
    Do you use tracking software on Sky now?
  • edited September 2013
      The one piece of advice i would throw in to this mix is to be brutally honest with yourself.   Check over hands you have played and if there is something wrong with what you have done deal with that insyead of blaming the opponent or luck. We all make mistakes on the tables and the only way to improve is to try to eliminate these mistakes especially the ones we make continually.  So check your hand histories and ask yourself important questions.  Why did i take the line i did in the hand?  What range did i put my opponent on?  What did i hope to achieve with my bet?  Could i have won more/ lost less?  And most importantly. How could i have played the hand better?  Honesty with yourself and good BRM will take you quite a long way. Unsure how far you can go but if you follow good rules then you will do fine
    Posted by Talon
    This is Gold too many players myself included when on a downswing can say its all varience but when you really look at it you may have got yourself into some stupid situations becuase of play on earlier streets or preflop try not to bullsheet yourself. This is also very important when your winning to you have to recognise when you get lucky and when you have played well
  • edited September 2013
    dont drink jack daniels,thats the best advice i can give..hic..