You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

study into live tells

edited September 2013 in Poker Chat
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/gamblers-need-poker-arms-not-a-poker-face-says-study-8816944.html

Non poker professionals were asked to rate the strength of players hands at wsop based on watching either the players face, arms, or whole body. Theydid worse than chance when looking at the faces meaning players not only hide their hand strength, but deceive with facial express ions but they did better than chance when looking at arm movements. Movements rated as smooth were also correctly correlated with hands rated as strong. Disappointingly it doesn't say how much better than chance they did. 

Any live bods got thoughts in this, seems like its better to look at how the chips go in rather than looking for soul-reads in the eyes.

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Live tells are overrated!!!
  • edited September 2013
    How can you tell which tell is the best tell ?
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: study into live tells:
    How can you tell which tell is the best tell ?
    Posted by VespaPX
    The best tell on me is when I 5b jam pre, I NEVER have it!!!!
    #loveabluff
  • edited September 2013
    tx for the link,

interesting stuff, will bear it in mind!
  • edited September 2013
    haven't considered that hand tells are better than face tells... suppose it makes sense though since people are more aware of their facial expressions.

I love live tells - can be soo useful in difficult spots. You just have to know how to use them and when to trust them

the same tell can mean different things in different situations - for example, a player is staring at you/studying you as YOU bet is alot different to a player staring at you/studying you after THEY have bet... a player with a weak hand is likely to keep their eyes on "danger" as prey would want to keep eyes on its hunter (looking at you as you act), and a player with a weak hand after they have bet will not feel comfotable looking at you because they have effectively lied about their hand strength. they will be doing their best not to draw attention to themselves and staring you down just wont feel natural especially if you are looking at them. this is where i think most people go wrong, and only think on one level... "last time he was strong when he was looking at me". easy to see why people go wrong.

Obviously this is a guidline, and some people are different. try to spot a tell, apply it to a situation and then look for it again to confirm it. only then can you really trust it.

tells are most useful against weaker players (strong live players will have learnt to hide most of their tells, wont be effected as much by situations and will even throw in fake tells to throw you off), and in spots where there is no obvious answer - following an unreliable tell wont make too much difference if its wrong because you didnt know what to do anyway.
  • edited September 2013
    Think it's been known for a long time that arms and hands can be massive tell givers.

reverse tells are so pro

imagaine giving out a false tell and not even knowing it, gotta be the nut worst.

• edited September 2013
    tom dwan does alot of live reverse tells master at it if u see him play 
  • edited September 2013
    Well its pretty obv that like 80% of tells are to do with hands when it comes to ametuer live play. Soo obv... and the players who are looking at the rest of the body just arent looking in the right places, ie eyes, neck pulse, posture, bouncing knees.. etc

RE pros and when i say pros i mean legends of the game...not full time JSA pros... I think its more like 50-60% hands, 10-15% speed of bet as it can be quite unreliable, and the rest is speech play. both giving and recieving

I think helmuth is prob the best listener in the game, ie just from hearing a players voice he can depict strength/weakness and i am sure alot of people overlook this. 
  • edited September 2013
    " viewed 20 two-second-long video clips"

I fear for the future of university science when results are published on such a ridic small sample size, and then for journalists to report it as proved #sigh