You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

later stages of mini

edited September 2013 in The Poker Clinic

The hand below is from the later stages of the mini and if I remember correctly the bubble had burst and was down to around 30. Villain had been playing reasonably solid so no reason to believe he doesn't have anything but a solid hand.  He was playing a little on the tight passive side of things so I had stole his blinds raising from sb and db quite a few times.  Although I had been quite aggressive stealing blinds etc I hadn't been caught or went to showdown with anything other than a good hand.

My question is really how to play the hand and more specifically bet sizing throughout given my weak kicker and poor position. I don't like my bet sizing on the turn here but what would be the best way to play this? If I was the villain I would have been very tempted to reraise on the turn because my bet looks weak or at least fire a shot on the river after I check.

Once I get the call on the flop should I just go to check call mode on the turn and river? or should I be value betting the river? 

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xxxxx Small blind  1000.00 1000.00 95642.61
jdsallstar Big blind  2000.00 3000.00 38630.00
  Your hole cards
  • A

Villain Raise  4000.00 7000.00 30639.74
xxxxx Fold     
xxxxx Fold     
xxxxx Fold     
xxxxxFold     
jdsallstar Call  2000.00 9000.00 36630.00
Flop

• A
  • Q

jdsallstar Bet  4000.00 13000.00 32630.00
Villain Call  4000.00 17000.00 26639.74
Turn

jdsallstar Bet  5000.00 22000.00 27630.00
Villain Call  5000.00 27000.00 21639.74
River

jdsallstar Check     
Villain Check     
jdsallstar Show
  • A

VillainMuck
  • Q
  • K

jdsallstar Win Two Pairs, Aces and 9s 27000.00  54630.00

Comments

• edited September 2013
    I probably just fold pre, making up the BB against UTG openers with raggy aces this shallow like this aint a great plan.

As played, why didn't you just check/call the flop allowing him to cbet all the hands he's missed the flop with?

Leading the flop leaves you in this awkward position you're in on the turn when you don't really love barrelling cos you have no idea if you're just value towning yourself, but you don't wanna check/fold and you also don't love life check/calling.

As played, we should have been betting the flop only cos we thought he'd call with worse so I think we have to barrel the turn. I probably check/call river depending on size just cos the paired board means we don't really have any kicker issues, AK/AQ are the only Ax that beat us.... well that and A9
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: later stages of mini:
    I probably just fold pre, making up the BB against UTG openers with raggy aces this shallow like this aint a great plan. As played, why didn't you just check/call the flop allowing him to cbet all the hands he's missed the flop with? Leading the flop leaves you in this awkward position you're in on the turn when you don't really love barrelling cos you have no idea if you're just value towning yourself, but you don't wanna check/fold and you also don't love life check/calling. As played, we should have been betting the flop only cos we thought he'd call with worse so I think we have to barrel the turn. I probably check/call river depending on size just cos the paired board means we don't really have any kicker issues, AK/AQ are the only Ax that beat us.... well that and A9
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thanks Lambert for the reply

If I check call the flop he nearly always cbets the flop leaving me having to call. I check again on the turn and he probably fires another bullet at me and I really don't love life then with no idea if he's cbetting to take it down or value betting. I thought at least by leading on the flop if I get a serious reraise at that point I'd know I'd likely be in trouble. The flat call on the flop left me lost on the turn.

Someone said on here before you should never bet to find out where you are but it's something I cant avoid doing because I don't know how to approach hands that doesn't leave me just stationing off my chips with hands such as this.

As played, if I barrel the turn and he flats again I'm assuming you check fold the river if the board hadn't paired? but with the 9 on the river it's a check and (sigh) call? and when we say barrel the turn are we talking a half pot bet (give or take)?

Reason for the call pre was that he had limit raised utg for past 4 out of 5 orbits or something so put him on a wider range than just big A-x of monster pairs. plus as I said he'd been tight passive so thought I could get him off a lot of hands and wanted to defend my blind a little.
  • edited September 2013
    Given your reads on villain, this call out of this stack size, in this table position, with this hand is a leak IMO.

Leading the flop is asking for trouble. Good players with big stacks will take this pot away from you on future streets.

But it really should be in the bin pre. You flopped the A and you have no idea where you are in the hand. Need to play almost perfect poker with less than 20bb, we don't have room for mistakes. 
  • edited September 2013
    Given your reads on villain, this call out of this stack size, in this table position, with this hand is a leak IMO. Leading the flop is asking for trouble. Good players with big stacks will take this pot away from you on future streets. But it really should be in the bin pre. You flopped the A and you have no idea where you are in the hand. Need to play almost perfect poker with less than 20bb, we don't have room for mistakes. 
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Cheers for the input.

Against a good player I definitely would have folded pre because I realise I'd have to play the hand very cautiously which could be exploited but given that I didn't rate the villain particularly highly (although didn't think he was terrible by any stretch) is it still a bad call/leak?

When I called pre my thinking was:
    (a) hitting the ace could very easily give me the best hand
    (b) I might flop a flush draw which I could peel a turn and possibly river quite cheap (based on nature of oppo) 
    (c) even if I miss completely given the right board texture I could put him off the hand
    (d) having folded my last 4 big blinds to limit raises pre I wanted to put up a little bit of a defence to warn off future thieves lol. 
    (e) if I hit my ace and face serious action I would be able to lay it down because I was aware of the risk of being outkickered etc.
    (f) We're getting near the end of the tourney - I want to build a stack and not play too passively.

Is my logic above dangerous/leaky? Would reraising pre flop ever be a good idea with this hand and this oppo? 

The reason I ask about my logic is because I play mainly DYM's and would like to play more MTT's and so I realise I need a change in my mindset from uber tight for dyms to more dynamic style for MTT's. When and where to be more aggressive/less passive is the bit I need to figure out lol
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: later stages of mini : Cheers for the input. Against a good player I definitely would have folded pre because I realise I'd have to play the hand very cautiously which could be exploited but given that I didn't rate the villain particularly highly (although didn't think he was terrible by any stretch) is it still a bad call/leak? When I called pre my thinking was: (a) hitting the ace could very easily give me the best hand (b) I might flop a flush draw which I could peel a turn and possibly river quite cheap (based on nature of oppo)  (c) even if I miss completely given the right board texture I could put him off the hand (d) having folded my last 4 big blinds to limit raises pre I wanted to put up a little bit of a defence to warn off future thieves lol.  (e) if I hit my ace and face serious action I would be able to lay it down because I was aware of the risk of being outkickered etc. (f) We're getting near the end of the tourney - I want to build a stack and not play too passively. Is my logic above dangerous/leaky? Would reraising pre flop ever be a good idea with this hand and this oppo?  The reason I ask about my logic is because I play mainly DYM's and would like to play more MTT's and so I realise I need a change in my mindset from uber tight for dyms to more dynamic style for MTT's. When and where to be more aggressive/less passive is the bit I need to figure out lol
    Posted by jdsallstar
    I think calling an UTG raise with sub 20 bigs and A5 in the BB will almost always be a mistake.

A) Yes, hitting your ace could give you the best hand. Or you could be absolutely dominated. With A5, we either win a small pot or lose a big one. And with less than 20bb, losing a big pot means we go busto.
    B) How often are we really going to flop the flush draw to make this a good call?
    C) I'd fancy the chances of the villain, with position, a big stack and the betting lead, to knock you off a certain board texture than you to take him off his hand.
    D) Yes, it's frustrating having to fold. But I don't think calling here is putting up a good defence. In fact, possibly the reverse. Calling is generally seen as weak play that could see you being exploited. 
    E) This is exactly why we should avoid peeling this shallow with raggy aces. You don't know if you are good or not. A good villain can make you fold the best hand here as you are so unsure where you are.
    F) We want to build a stack, this is true. We don't want to play passively, this is also true. But I feel it's a pretty passive call. Whilst we are looking to chip up, we also should bear in mind chip preservation. We are entering 3bet jamming time with our stack size. The more chips we have, and thus the more fold equity we have, is very important.

I still think the best line to take to an UTG raise is a fold. A raise pre flop would look pretty strong out of our stack, but leaves us as a sitting duck if he 4bet jams on us. Depending on villain, I might jam pre here as we have good F/E, and if we have been folding quite a bit then we might/should get credit for a better hand than we actually hold. 

Fold > Jam > Raise.

Well done on your mini Primo FT btw :)
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: later stages of mini : I think calling an UTG raise with sub 20 bigs and A5 in the BB will almost always be a mistake. Posted by hhyftrftdr

This !

Can only think of 2 hands that he opens here that we beat pre flop, KQ and KJ.

Even those have />40% equity against us as well as position and the lead.

Playing oop is hard enough at the best of times, try to avoid it!  Very easy fold pre here.
  • edited September 2013

thanks everyone for the great advice! I'll definitely take this on board and I'll see how I fair in my next MTT outing lol prob the mini primo on sunday.

I definitely think I could achieve some positive results in these but I just need to get away a little from my dym mindset but not get too loose that I become spewy.

Any other tournaments anybody would like to suggest that would be good ones for me start out on (£500 BR) would also be welcome. I play in the evenings from say 8pm onwards.

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: later stages of mini : I think calling an UTG raise with sub 20 bigs and A5 in the BB will almost always be a mistake.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Sorry one other question based on what you say/imply above i.e. calling an utg raise with a5 might be acceptable if you have a bigger stack.

Why is that? surely a bad call is a bad call regardless of stack size? Is it just a case of speculate to accumulate vs cant waste any chips from sub 20 bigs?

What stack size does it become acceptable to call with speculative hands? Just roughly I mean. are we talking +40 bigs?

oh and cheers for the congratulations for getting to the mini FT. I was lucky though when it got down to last 3/4 tables my table was very passive in general so I got away with a lot of steals. your table on the other hand looked like the complete opposite with the two big stacks throwing the chips around. 

WP on getting to both final tables that night makes my 4th place look pathetic lol!!
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: later stages of mini : Sorry one other question based on what you say/imply above i.e. calling an utg raise with a5 might be acceptable if you have a bigger stack. Why is that? surely a bad call is a bad call regardless of stack size? Is it just a case of speculate to accumulate vs cant waste any chips from sub 20 bigs? What stack size does it become acceptable to call with speculative hands? Just roughly I mean. are we talking +40 bigs? oh and cheers for the congratulations for getting to the mini FT. I was lucky though when it got down to last 3/4 tables my table was very passive in general so I got away with a lot of steals. your table on the other hand looked like the complete opposite with the two big stacks throwing the chips around.  WP on getting to both final tables that night makes my 4th place look pathetic lol!!
    Posted by jdsallstar
    With 20bb or less, we simply can't afford to splash about with marginal hands, especially OOP. We should be preserving chips and looking for better spots. Equally, if we had 100bb and UTG had 20bb, it would still be a poor call due to the effective stack. Should hero and villain both be playing very deep, then it becomes more ''acceptable'' to play. If we are both deep, it's not a bad hand to 3bet with. Easy fold to a 4bet, or take the hand down more often than not with a c/bet should we see a flop.

Edit- by deep you're probably looking at 50bb or more. Wouldn't want to get too fruity with it from a 40bb or less stack.

Double edit- Thank you very much!
  • edited September 2013
    thanks everyone for the great advice! I'll definitely take this on board and I'll see how I fair in my next MTT outing lol prob the mini primo on sunday. I definitely think I could achieve some positive results in these but I just need to get away a little from my dym mindset but not get too loose that I become spewy. Any other tournaments anybody would like to suggest that would be good ones for me start out on (£500 BR) would also be welcome. I play in the evenings from say 8pm onwards.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    If you're looking to move away from your comfort zone try the 3max mtts.

You'll get a lot of experience really quickly playing different scenarios as you're putting money in to almost every pot & playing a much wider range of hands than usual. Or should be.

Think theres a few during the evening starting from 3 quid, turbos and non-turbos, loads of play in both.
  • edited September 2013
    Love the 3 max tournies. Think I've only played 4 or 5 but have won a couple.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: later stages of mini : If you're looking to move away from your comfort zone try the 3max mtts. You'll get a lot of experience really quickly playing different scenarios as you're putting money in to almost every pot & playing a much wider range of hands than usual. Or should be. Think theres a few during the evening starting from 3 quid, turbos and non-turbos, loads of play in both.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Might give them a go because played a 3 man game every sunday at home with bro and family friend for about 2 years so should be pretty adept at them lol Although most of the time they involved a good few beers so some of the play at the end of the night became a little questionable lol
  • edited September 2013
    When you're betting, just ask yourself which hands your opponent calls or raises with and which hands he folds.

So don't look at your hand and think "I have top-pair, no kicker, what do I do?", think about what your opponent will do if you bet or check, before asking what you want him to do.

If your opponent folds most of the hands that you beat and calls or raises with every hand that beats you, obviously you don't want to bet. If he calls with lots of weaker hands or folds lots of better hands, then obviously you do want to bet.

Bet for value or bet as a bluff. Know what you want your opponent to do before you bet.

Generally speaking I wouldn't encourage you to donk-bet. It's really tough to balance your donking range (You'll usually check to the raiser if you have a monster or if you've missed completely, so donking is always going to look like a marginal hand).

There are sometimes good reasons to donk-bet but they're usually in multi-way pots on wet flops with big made hands, etc... Try not to do anything just because you're afraid of being put to a difficult decision.
  • edited September 2013

When you're betting, just ask yourself which hands your opponent calls or raises with and which hands he folds. So don't look at your hand and think "I have top-pair, no kicker, what do I do?", think about what your opponent will do if you bet or check, before asking what you want him to do. If your opponent folds most of the hands that you beat and calls or raises with every hand that beats you, obviously you don't want to bet. If he calls with lots of weaker hands or folds lots of better hands, then obviously you do want to bet. Bet for value or bet as a bluff. Know what you want your opponent to do before you bet. Generally speaking I wouldn't encourage you to donk-bet. It's really tough to balance your donking range (You'll usually check to the raiser if you have a monster or if you've missed completely, so donking is always going to look like a marginal hand). There are sometimes good reasons to donk-bet but they're usually in multi-way pots on wet flops with big made hands, etc... Try not to do anything just because you're afraid of being put to a difficult decision.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Thanks Borin that makes a lot of sense.

I wanted him to fold so I played the hand as a bluff in the end I suppose lol. Every scenario I can think of with this hand runs me into trouble i.e. donking and getting the call, check and getting cbet and it's all caused by the call preflop.

Out of interest same scenario but you have AJ and you face the limit raise in bb from utg how would proceed pre and on the flop (given same reads etc)? open for anyone who wants to answer.

Lets assume his range is all pairs 7's+, A10+ and KQ, KJ.

From what I've read above I think it's a flat pre, check call flop and then depending on the bet on the turn it's either check call or check fold - am I more on the money with this play? lol 

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: later stages of mini : Thanks Borin that makes a lot of sense. I wanted him to fold so I played the hand as a bluff in the end I suppose lol. Every scenario I can think of with this hand runs me into trouble i.e. donking and getting the call, check and getting cbet and it's all caused by the call preflop. Out of interest same scenario but you have AJ and you face the limit raise in bb from utg how would proceed pre and on the flop (given same reads etc)? open for anyone who wants to answer. Lets assume his range is all pairs 7's+, A10+ and KQ, KJ. From what I've read above I think it's a flat pre, check call flop and then depending on the bet on the turn it's either check call or check fold - am I more on the money with this play? lol   
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Just to chuck in my 2cents, there are very few hands that I'm just flatting with in the BB out of a >20bb stack after an UTG raise. Unless you are being deceptive with AA/KK, I don't think we have the stack to be peeling, especially out of position. Playing less than 20bb, every hand should be decisive. 

In this specific example, I'd probably jam AJ. I wouldn't particularly like it, but villain has a large stack and can be opening quite a wide range, even from first position. We do have a great shoving stack and I'd want to use all it's power where possible.

Edit - just seen its the SB with the large stack, not the villain. Villain actually playing less than hero. A5 is deffo a fold now ;) Whether to jam AJ or not would be purely down to table dynamic and image. 
  • edited September 2013
    Agree with pretty much everything in the thread but just thought I'd throw in my 2cents too :p

I think we can lower the stacksize Harry suggests as needing to be jam/fold on here (Sky). For instance there are an absolute ton of people where I'd be happy raise/folding into them with say 15xBB and A9o just cos I know they're so tight and will never exploit us raise/folding and we will ALWAYS be in awful shape when we call.

Likewise I think jamming 20xBB is slightly too big without antes and the style of play from most people. We'll lose a ton of value from our massive hands cos we'll get looked up so rarely and with our weaker hands we'll be crushed when called when we could have just minraise/folded. Without antes especially I just don't think the risk/reward is there to jam 20xBB cos we just get a small addition to our stack when it works, and are crushed when called.

*Obv this is a generalisaton and we adapt to opponents but for the most part I think the above is true.
  • edited September 2013
    Agree with pretty much everything in the thread but just thought I'd throw in my 2cents too :pI think we can lower the stacksize Harry suggests as needing to be jam/fold on here (Sky). For instance there are an absolute ton of people where I'd be happy raise/folding into them with say 15xBB and A9o just cos I know they're so tight and will never exploit us raise/folding and we will ALWAYS be in awful shape when we call. Likewise I think jamming 20xBB is slightly too big without antes and the style of play from most people. We'll lose a ton of value from our massive hands cos we'll get looked up so rarely and with our weaker hands we'll be crushed when called when we could have just minraise/folded. Without antes especially I just don't think the risk/reward is there to jam 20xBB cos we just get a small addition to our stack when it works, and are crushed when called. *Obv this is a generalisaton and we adapt to opponents but for the most part I think the above is true.
    Posted by Lambert180

The example here is 3bet jamming though. If we had AJ, 20bb and first into the pot, then more than happy to min click it. We should never really be open jamming 20bb. In this specific example, with AJ in the BB vs an UTG raise from a 15bb stack, there is no other play (IMO) than all in or fold. 

Granted, there aren't ante's on Sky, so in theory we can wait that little bit longer than on other sites. But I see it happen way too often, people fold themselves down to 9 or 10bb then start shipping the chips. Should really be looking to get busy around the 20bb mark. Adding little but often keeps our head above water. And it's not actually that little; if we're playing 18bb and we jam the button over a cutoff m/r, we pinch 3.5BB, adding almost 20% to our stack.

• edited September 2013
    I agree with Harry, you know what I mean!

just fold pre