You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

which of these 2 hands are the best starting omaha(hi) hand and why in your opinion?

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
Ac-As-Kc-Ks       or Qd-Qh-Jd-Jh ??

Comments

• edited December 2009
    In omaha it is more about post flop play than preflop so it is best not to be too obsessed with the starting hand espescially if it doesnt improve on the flop. But in a choice of those 2 i would take the second one because it opens up a lot more winning combinations. AK has only 1 way to make a straight whereas QJ has 3.
  • edited December 2009
    im going for the QQJJ combination as well for exactly the same reason..........I agree with you about the post-flop play but in later stages of tournaments when the blinds are a higher percentage of stack and with raises included we have to be more selective with our starting hands dont you agree???
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: which of these 2 hands are the best starting omaha(hi) hand and why in your opinion?:
    im going for the QQJJ combination as well for exactly the same reason..........I agree with you about the post-flop play but in later stages of tournaments when the blinds are a higher percentage of stack and with raises included we have to be more selective with our starting hands dont you agree???
    Posted by JAEGERBOMB
    I would say you have to be more perceptive of the others at your table being selective to be honest. That way you can play into flops with lesser hands that don't connect with the tight holdings of people trying to preserve their chips. This is only my thoughts on it however as i have never played an Omaha tourny, I only ever play cash. Maybe i'll give it go
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: which of these 2 hands are the best starting omaha(hi) hand and why in your opinion?:
    Posted by JAEGERBOMB
    My main problem with later stage tournament play is that whereas some hands are obviously low percentage to win there are none that are overwhelming favourites to open shove with. In texas it is easy PP or big ace, but in omaha i could just as easily argue a case for either AAKK or 6789. All you can do is maximise your winning potential by having the most playable hands within your starting hand.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to which of these 2 hands are the best starting omaha(hi) hand and why in your opinion?:
    Ac-As-Kc-Ks       or Qd-Qh-Jd-Jh ??
    Posted by JAEGERBOMB

The best hand you can hope to see is AAKK. That's it, the very best hand preflop. Double suited to give you the best odds post flop. Now you've got two shots at flopping trips, two cracks at a flush draw, and a high straight possibility. You are holding your out cards for a full house if you don't make trips, in Omaha, this is as good as a starting hand gets. And if all else fails there, you've still got that pair of aces working for you.

• edited December 2009
    For point of reference for the whole forum.

AAKK DS is the best starting hand in omaha.

That is all.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to which of these 2 hands are the best starting omaha(hi) hand and why in your opinion? : The best hand you can hope to see is AAKK. That's it, the very best hand preflop. Double suited to give you the best odds post flop. Now you've got two shots at flopping trips, two cracks at a flush draw, and a high straight possibility. You are holding your out cards for a full house if you don't make trips, in Omaha, this is as good as a starting hand gets. And if all else fails there, you've still got that pair of aces working for you.
    Posted by spencee
    Many congrats spence on your fine performance in the third of the three £500 Guaranteed Omaha Tourneys last night. How you never won it I'll never know! Scotland were narrowly turned over,.....

Still, I guess you were happy with 2nd, yes?
  • edited December 2009

Yes, A-A-K-K DS.

However......

Optimally, you MUST get it Heads Up - it plays best v one oppo, so you MUST try to get the money in pre-flop. (Post flop is often too late).

And therin lies the problem. It's usually pretty obvious when someone has A-A-K-K or similar, by the pre-flop betting pattern. So what other players do in that spot - entirely correctly - is call with holdings like 6-7-8-9* & such like. If the two holdings are both DS, & have "opposite" Suits, the A-A-K-K is only 60-40 to win.

So, if I have something like 6-7-8-9* I'm calling pre all day. We can get off on the flop if we have to, but remember, A-A-K-K man will be ramming any flop. And we want him to 40% of the time......

So, 6-7-8-9* can get off on the Flop, but A-A-K-K man rarely can.

* In this case, be disciplined - NO DANGLERS.
  • edited December 2009
    Yes AAKK best starting hand for more information click link

http://www.pokersyte.com/omaha_holdem_poker.htm