You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Mega stack game Is this ever a call here with king high

edited September 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I beat alot of hands here to make it a call imo the large bet makes me think hes polarized

i beat alot of missed str8 draws and flush draws so is the call ok or even thinking about a call ok 

kaman113Small blind30.0030.009860.00AdamBillBig blind 60.0090.009430.00 Your hole cardsK9   BUBBLYDANFold    MEM796Call 60.00150.0010530.00IDONKCALLUCall 60.00210.009130.00kaman113Call 30.00240.009830.00AdamBillCheck    Flop  68Q   kaman113Check    AdamBillCheck    MEM796Bet 120.00360.0010410.00IDONKCALLURaise 420.00780.008710.00kaman113Fold    AdamBillCall 420.001200.009010.00MEM796Fold    Turn  Q   AdamBillCheck    IDONKCALLUCheck    River  4   AdamBillBet 840.002040.008170.00

Comments

• edited September 2013
    You actually beat very little.

Why are we checking the turn? Why are we over limping? On the button too!
  • edited September 2013
    Qx has to be the most likely hand.

Strange line you've taken throughout the hand, limping then taking off with a non-nut draw in a still limped pot multi way.

Then wanting to slow down, then hero call w/ K high!

All very strange Donk.

Think he has Qx here way too much to make a call profitable. Probably has Queen 6.
  • edited September 2013
    well why raise bloat a pot i play tight early stages like to see pots multiways win bigger pots instead of winning 100 here n there
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Mega stack game Is this ever a call here with king high:
    well why raise bloat a pot i play tight early stages like to see pots multiways win bigger pots instead of winning 100 here n there
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Serious?
  • edited September 2013
    yeah i have my own way of playing mtts it works for me u can lose a mtt early stages u cant win it small ball best way to play early stages 
  • edited September 2013
    yeah i have my own way of playing mtts it works for me u can lose a mtt early stages u cant win it small ball best way to play early stages 
  • edited September 2013
    So you'd have limped aces there as well Donk?
  • edited September 2013
  • edited September 2013
    This hand is flawed IDCU, and I think your logic is too.

You don't wanna bloat the pot but you raise the flop. What are you trying to rep other than a draw? Raising into 3 players is very likely to bloat the pot. We have zero idea what their range is by over limping pre.

Raise pre.
    C/bet flop and go from there (assuming we even see a flop).

• edited September 2013
    i raise on this flop as im in position i wouldnt do it oop by raising the flop i get to see a turn and  river as people hardly ever donk lead after calling a raise on the flop with me ?
  • edited September 2013
    Raise pre-flop.

No reason to think that opponents are going to make big pots post-flop in limped pots when you make big hands. Raise pre-flop and c-bet to take down a medium-sized pot. If we hit big we can still get paid.

To make a big pot in a limped pot we need a) to hit our big hand (flush, straight, trips, two-pair) which is pretty unlikely, and either b) our opponents to also make a big hand that we beat or c) our opponent to hit a small hand and get really carried away.

The above scenario is far less likely than i) hitting a marginal, one-pair hand and having trouble determining if we're best multi-way in a limped pot, possibly paying off better hands or folding to worse ones ii) missing completely and just giving up, iii) hitting a big hand and not getting paid since our opponents have missed, iv) being raised off the hand pre-flop or v) calling a raise and folding to c-bets when we miss/paying off c-bets against better hands.

There are some justifications for limping in what you've said: Playing in position against weaker players, post-flop. That's good, especially if you know they'll pay you off big with marginal hands on boards you smash. Why raise players out of the hands pre-flop if you know they'll call down light post-flop?

However, did you really know that here? Did you know these particular players are folding to raises lots pre-flop and calling down light post-flop? Your opinion seems to be (and correct me if I'm wrong) that we can be limping in to pots in late position, just because it's early in the tournament and we have lots of big blinds. If that's the case, you'll have to answer why that's a better strategy than raising and c-betting lots of flops.

We hit our hand just as often when we raise as we do when we limp. However, raising pre-flop lets us win more pots more often, and doesn't hinder our attempts to build big pots with our big hands because we're up against stronger ranges than multi-way limped pots. Besides that, in tournament poker we're not going to have such big post-flop edges on our opponents as in cash because we're not as familiar with them.

So raise pre-flop.

Don't call the river. We need to be beating 29% of his range... we don't even beat his Ax, KJ, KT bluffs.
  • edited September 2013
    raising the flop is not small ball

limping a long pre and hoping you cooler someone or flop lucky is not great poker

not raising pre is not small ball poker

small ball poker is winning smaller pots with mimimum risk

you are not doing that

whatever justification you have, it just don't wash

you limped to hopefully hit a flushy or 2 prs or w/e - just like the other 90% of passive fish :)
  • edited September 2013
    raising the flop is not small ball limping a long pre and hoping you cooler someone or flop lucky is not great poker not raising pre is not small ball poker small ball poker is winning smaller pots with mimimum risk you are not doing that whatever justification you have, it just don't wash you limped to hopefully hit a flushy or 2 prs or w/e - just like the other 90% of passive fish :)
    Posted by rancid
    THIS ^^^

Also... can I get odds from someone on this hand being up here cos he did call and villian had JT or w/e
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Mega stack game Is this ever a call here with king high : THIS ^^^ Also... can I get odds from someone on this hand being up here cos he did call and villian had JT or w/e
    Posted by Lambert180

I'll give you odds of 1/10 on.

Na scratch that.  Too much value.
  • edited September 2013
    u wanna bet i was beat just a intresting hand to post