You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is position MORE important in Omaha??

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
I'm just wondering in Omaha MTTs as there are more limpers calling pre-flop, once we reach mid-stage blinds 100/200 or 200/400 say if 2 or 3 people have limped in would a pot-size raise from button or blinds with a reasonable starting hand be a good play??

Obviously pot control is another important aspect, but if we see our opponents continuously limping with very speculative hands isnt it advisable to take them off their hand pre-flop??

Admittedly total donkey seeking advise and help!!!!!

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Jager i think this is all going to depend on the people your playing against. The majority of people playing Omaha on here right now have never played before. As such you are liable to get called and drawn out on by people who are not sure of the difference between the good starting hands and the bad.

Sky will be at the stage at the moment where a lot of people will see A Q among there 4 cards and call no matter what the bet size. This will filter out as people get more adept at the game but i would say during these first few months i wouldn't be trying to get a bluff through with up to 4 players in it. Somebody will have something and you will get called, and if that call is in early position you could get 2 or 3 callers to that bet, The pot is almost always bet on the flop in multi way by people trying to protect. You could now be playing for a £30k pot if you call the pot bet on the flop and all at 200 - 400 blinds, thats how fast the money can end up in the middle in an omaha game.

Until you know that most if not all will lay down hands pre flop then i'd try to keep the pots small and play the streets. I'm no expert as i don't play Omaha tourny's just cash but i think you may walk into trouble during the early days of omaha by trying to think to far above the level of the players you are playing against (a generalisation as i'm sure there are sky players that are already great at it but you have to think of the fields in MTT's)