You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What to do??

edited September 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I have been playing on villains table for a good while.  He is very aggressive... especially on his BB.  I've seen him 3 bet light from his BB into multiple opponents on a number of occassions... this includes marginal hands like A10 but also worse hands like 108 and 89s.   This is why I 4 bet as I think I get a fold a lot of the time from his junk hands and I can gain more info.  His flat makes me rule out AA and KK as I dont see an aggressive player like him slowing down at any point with either hand.  So his range is still relatively undefined at this moment as a lot of suited connectors and PP are probably in his range here when he flats.

The flop comes Q high and he jams on my bet.  Question is do I call considering his range or is the bet just too big and I should just look for a better spot?  I have a blocker to the nut flush but can easily see him holding a KJh type hand.
watto84 Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £21.38
X Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £171.80
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

b123n Fold        
gazza127 Raise   £1.50 £2.25 £320.90
katiegir16 Fold        
HachiKuro Fold        
watto84 Call   £1.25 £3.50 £20.13
X Raise   £5.50 £9.00 £166.30
gazza127 Raise   £13.50 £22.50 £307.40
watto84 Fold        
X Call   £9.00 £31.50 £157.30
Flop

• Q

X Check        
gazza127 Bet   £15.75 £47.25 £291.65
X All-in   £157.30 £204.55 £0.00
gazza127 ??

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Well given your reads this would seem like a very easy call and I'm pretty certain that you snap called but happened to be beat. But that happens, and it was still the right call!!

Also why is your flop betsize so big?
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: What to do??:
    Well given your reads this would seem like a very easy call and I'm pretty certain that you snap called but happened to be beat. But that happens, and it was still the right call!! Also why is your flop betsize so big?
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Is it?
  • edited September 2013
    With a jam like that, it's usually the flush draw.

I don't see him jamming Kings, doubt he has aces. He's not jamming a set (you wouldn't think)

Definatly looks like a flush draw. Guess you called and he hut.

I think it's a call.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: What to do?? : Is it?
    Posted by gazza127
    Look at the SPR, it's only 1.5 so getting stacks in the middle with anything is easy. Therfore we want to be betting smaller with our entire range on what is a really dry broad. There's a flush draw out there but:

a) There's a good chance villain doesn't have a flush draw
    b) If he does then he might play it agressively and get it in on flop anyway
    c) We have the Ah aswell, so if it does come in on the turn we're still not too worried seing as though we have outs vs a flush and are a big fave vs any other flush draw.

Nevermind I misread my stack sizes thought you were a lot shorter. OK flop sizing is perfect then. (I've left it there though cause it's a useful thing for people to consider when the SPR is so small.)

Also changes the call from being really easy to not being quite as easy. I mean you wouldn't think most players could have a set here but wouldn't surprise me if he 3bet and called a 5bet with a pair of 7s/5s. Also he could have 57s. KK and AA seem somewhat unlikely. For a start he'll be 5betting both hands a reasonable % (especially AA) and would KK really shove the flop? Seems pretty bad for KK to shove the flop because he probably percieves our value range pre as QQ-AA and AKs. QQ is ahead, AKs is folding and AA is ahead. So unless he thinks we have AQ as well a huge % of the time it just doesn't make sense to make a huge shove here with KK. 

I think I'm probably calling here even though it sucks to be calling off so much with just a pair. If I want a "bluff catch" range here this hand is perfect for it and much better than KK since we have 5 cards to hit against 2 pair, we block QQ and we have a BDFD.
  • edited September 2013
    defo not an easy call ..!! 

and just because you have seen him 3bet wide it doesnt mean he'll overbet like this wide on the flop- you should access this totally different as its the first time you have been in this spot.. your playin very deep vs a really aggro person and IMO your initial stratergy of 4betting given reasons is incorrect- 

personally id fold-easily and change my stratergy vs this villian
  • edited September 2013
    defo not an easy call ..!!  and just because you have seen him 3bet wide it doesnt mean he'll overbet like this wide on the flop- you should access this totally different as its the first time you have been in this spot.. your playin very deep vs a really aggro person and IMO your initial stratergy of 4betting given reasons is incorrect-  personally id fold-easily and change my stratergy vs this villian
    Posted by LnarinOO
    Why wouldnt I 4 bet someone who 3 bets light?  The other option is to flat the 3 bet in position and see a flop... however the vast majority of the time I'd have to Check/Fold as im going to miss.  Surely its best to take the initiative in the hand against a wide range of hands opponent could be holding?
  • edited September 2013
    if u 4 bet would depend how they react to your 4 bet
    do you know what vill flats a 4 bet with

your only beating a fd

easy fold really

your gonna see 7's,5's QQ/KK/AA so much of the time it will make you sick

• edited September 2013
    Well anyway...

I decided after tanking my whole time bar to call.  I was close to folding but I just couldnt work out what hand he'd have that was beating me... and why he would do this with a hand that hand me crushed?  I couldnt put him on AA or KK.  I had a blocker to QQ... and i dont see why he'd overshove a set where he gets 0 value from hands which arent made/missed.  I convinced myself he was on a draw and called at the last second....

watto84 Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £21.38
    X Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £171.80
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A

b123n Fold        
    gazza127 Raise   £1.50 £2.25 £320.90
    katiegir16 Fold        
    HachiKuro Fold        
    watto84 Call   £1.25 £3.50 £20.13
    X Raise   £5.50 £9.00 £166.30
    gazza127 Raise   £13.50 £22.50 £307.40
    watto84 Fold        
    X Call   £9.00 £31.50 £157.30
    Flop

• Q

x Check        
    gazza127 Bet   £15.75 £47.25 £291.65
    x All-in   £157.30 £204.55 £0.00
    gazza127 Call   £141.55 £346.10 £150.10
    X Show
    • Q
    • Q

gazza127 Show
    • Q
    • A

Turn

River

X Win Three Queens £344.30   £344.30

.... i wish i had timed out.

Only up against the nuts.  96% underdog on the flop and I called it off.  Its irritating when you play for 3 hours and build up a big stack and go and lose it all in one hand.   I just wanted to know if anyone else calls here or if it just wasnt worth it for the price?

• edited September 2013
    Well anyway... I decided after tanking my whole time bar to call.  I was close to folding but I just couldnt work out what hand he'd have that was beating me... and why he would do this with a hand that hand me crushed?  I couldnt put him on AA or KK.  I had a blocker to QQ... and i dont see why he'd overshove a set where he gets 0 value from hands which arent made/missed.  I convinced myself he was on a draw and called at the last second.... watto84 Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £21.38 X Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £171.80   Your hole cards Q A       b123n Fold         gazza127 Raise   £1.50 £2.25 £320.90 katiegir16 Fold         HachiKuro Fold         watto84 Call   £1.25 £3.50 £20.13 X Raise   £5.50 £9.00 £166.30 gazza127 Raise   £13.50 £22.50 £307.40 watto84 Fold         X Call   £9.00 £31.50 £157.30 Flop     7 5 Q       x Check         gazza127 Bet   £15.75 £47.25 £291.65 x All-in   £157.30 £204.55 £0.00 gazza127 Call   £141.55 £346.10 £150.10 X Show Q Q       gazza127 Show Q A       Turn     8       River     3       X Win Three Queens £344.30   £344.30 .... i wish i had timed out. Only up against the nuts.  96% underdog on the flop and I called it off.  Its irritating when you play for 3 hours and build up a big stack and go and lose it all in one hand.   I just wanted to know if anyone else calls here or if it just wasnt worth it for the price?
    Posted by gazza127
    Ah well, i was way of the mark with this one. Interesting hearing peoples views saying it's a fold (easy).

Anytime i've seen this type of move it's always a flush draw.

The reason i said that was why would some one shove a set/ 2 pair? I think it looks pretty terrible as they are missing out on so much value (if you fold). I could be totally wrong here?

Maybe it is a really good player and he had your hand nailed, AQ, KK AA. Maybe he's simply putting you on the latter. I know we can't judge it on how we would play it, but i really don't understand the shove here, it doesn't make any sense to me. There is maybe about 4/5/6 hands you can call with (including 2 sets), versus the countless other hands you are forced to fold inclding hands like AK.

The only reason i can think of he has you on aces or kings and does not think you will fold these. But in saying that a lot of the time Aces and Kings will fold.

Is there any argument that this is good play by villian? Or am i way of the mark in saying his shove is pretty bad? (despite the fact he got the call in this occasion)
  • edited September 2013
    yea he would rarley be bluffin like this imo- just because u have seen him 3bet bluff and with a wide range - that is a totally different situation to his jam for stacks here- 

i really dont want to be given tooo much away but taking the initiative pre is fine but when your +300bb deeps vs someone that is gettin to you with aggression isnt what id be doin- your 4bet size is way too small and your playin deep enough that he can call his entire 3bet range and put u in too many tough spots- you have explained this yourself in your OP by stating you dont know what to do vs his range and quite simple you have put yourself in this spot by 4bettin and bloating the pot without knowing what your goin to do.. 
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: What to do?? : Ah well, i was way of the mark with this one. Interesting hearing peoples views saying it's a fold (easy). Anytime i've seen this type of move it's always a flush draw. The reason i said that was why would some one shove a set/ 2 pair? I think it looks pretty terrible as they are missing out on so much value (if you fold). I could be totally wrong here? Maybe it is a really good player and he had your hand nailed, AQ, KK AA. Maybe he's simply putting you on the latter. I know we can't judge it on how we would play it, but i really don't understand the shove here, it doesn't make any sense to me. There is maybe about 4/5/6 hands you can call with (including 2 sets), versus the countless other hands you are forced to fold inclding hands like AK. The only reason i can think of he has you on aces or kings and does not think you will fold these. But in saying that a lot of the time Aces and Kings will fold. Is there any argument that this is good play by villian? Or am i way of the mark in saying his shove is pretty bad? (despite the fact he got the call in this occasion)
    Posted by LARSON7
    i agree its a bad jam with top set as it gives us an easy fold given how much it is..i disagree that its mainly FD's that play like this- if i try and think what there thinking its usually along the lines of...

'' ok so they cold 4bet pre = AA KK...i dont wnat any cards to ruin my action (eg heart) so i jam now to get a call off KK-AA ''

you also see  villians flat AA and KK pre here alot - i think that for the most part they actually realise that they dont have a 5bet bluffing range so they counter this by jus calling pre and raising the flop.. also not great imo
  • edited September 2013
    yea he would rarley be bluffin like this imo- just because u have seen him 3bet bluff and with a wide range - that is a totally different situation to his jam for stacks here-  i really dont want to be given tooo much away but taking the initiative pre is fine but when your +300bb deeps vs someone that is gettin to you with aggression isnt what id be doin- your 4bet size is way too small and your playin deep enough that he can call his entire 3bet range and put u in too many tough spots- you have explained this yourself in your OP by stating you dont know what to do vs his range and quite simple you have put yourself in this spot by 4bettin and bloating the pot without knowing what your goin to do.. 
    Posted by LnarinOO

Is my 4 bet size too small?  I've made it £15 to go after he 3 bet to £6.  There's no way he's calling his enitre 3 bet range... especially out of position.  I have the stack to put pressure on him as well as position and im the one that can stick him in a few tricky spots.  Imagine if he had JJ instead on this board.  Does he call a flop bet in case I have AK?  What if he too has AQ... does he call 3 streets out of position after a 4 bet pre?  Im the one that can really give him a headache, however he has taken the most aggressive line possible and has put me to a decision on the flop.  The lad didnt want to play any poker post flop out of position.

I don't think i said I don't know what to do v his range - I just said his range is still relatively undefined.  A lot of the time I take the pot v this villain by continuation betting this flop, rather than flatting the 3 bet pre and having to fold to any bet on the flop if I miss regardless of opponents cards.  Of course theres a plan post flop if I get called - the 4 bet isnt solely to get him to fold.
  • edited September 2013
    Well I think he's saying the 4bet is small given the stacks, remember we're like 325xBB deep. People will call wider this deep to win a big pot... it's the same thing as people won't (or shouldn't) call a 3bet to 10xBB with small PPs set-mining when you're 100xBB effective, but make it 200xBB effective and they probably will. So he can call the 4bet with alot of hands that will give easy decisions postflop.... i.e. if he calls pre w/ 67s, he's not gonna be in tons of horrible spots where his pair is dominated or w/e cos he's looking to flop massive and stack you or fold.

FWIW, If he's being aggro then you can just flat IP and play some poker. If he's really aggro then you don't wanna just 4bet and make him fold a ton of his air hands. You have position and a hand that is gonna be crushing a rreally aggro players 3bet range, you don't have to just check/fold missed flops.
  • edited September 2013
    if vill range is undfined = you don't have a clue regarding vill flat 4 bet range
    by the sounds of it you want vill to flat 100% of his 3 bet range cause he will - therefore make it bigger
    you are deep enough for vill to call with the sizing, so when vill does flat it's a pretty wide range

you gotta ask yourself if you can 100% rule out QQ/KK/AA

therefore to just put just FD's in vill range is a massive mistake because as you say range is undefined
    I mean you say he not calling 100% of 3 bet range, so how can you put vill so easily on fd ?
    Plus you hold ace of hearts, massive blocker to vill 3 bet range.

• edited September 2013
    if vill range is undfined = you don't have a clue regarding vill flat 4 bet range by the sounds of it you want vill to flat 100% of his 3 bet range cause he will - therefore make it bigger you are deep enough for vill to call with the sizing, so when vill does flat it's a pretty wide range you gotta ask yourself if you can 100% rule out QQ/KK/AA therefore to just put just FD's in vill range is a massive mistake because as you say range is undefined I mean you say he not calling 100% of 3 bet range, so how can you put vill so easily on fd ? Plus you hold ace of hearts, massive blocker to vill 3 bet range.
    Posted by rancid
    I ruled out AA/KK straight away.  There is no chance this villain doesnt 5 bet with these two hands.

Which means im really worried about 3 hands.  QQ - I hold a blocker, 77 and 55.  He holds a lot more hands in his range which includes the flush draw.  910s, J10s, K10s, KJs as well as other hands like 89s or possibly even 86. Maybe he even has a pair + flush draw such as 78s or 67s.  He also has a Qx range too such as another AQ hand if he thinks I can't call a big bet with just an overpair or AK.  Im not saying he never has he beat here (obviously he does sometimes) however the action/history and range of the opponent IMO leans towards a call.

And I know lambert I could float on a 10 high flop with AQ in position but if oppo barrels twice then what?  When I say villain has been 3 betting his BB.... I mean he has done it almost every orbit.  I've got to 4 bet pre to try to narrow his range surely? to also a lot of the time continuation bet and win the hand on the flop uncontested.
  • edited September 2013
    i thought it was to £13.50 but yea £15 still abit small given SS behind- 

in OP you said

''This is why I 4 bet as I think I get a fold a lot of the time from his junk hands and I can gain more info.''

im just goin off the information that you've given - to me it seems like your fed up with his aggression and want to make a stand- your taking a good hand and turning it into a bluff- what do u do if he makes it £37.. becasue were soo deep he should be taking advantage and calling alot of his 3bet range .. you said yourself that his range was undefined, so in your veiw he still must have quite a wide range so why cant he be calling with his entire 3bettin range that you described earlier..???
    imo your opponent has the upper hand if you were to just fold unimproved vs his 3bet if you only flat- doesnt seem to me that your givin him a headache at all post flop - your saying that he didnt want to play poker OOP post- wheres you reads from this..? had he done this before and showed a bluff..? or is it jus because he 3bets his BB alot..? 
  • edited September 2013
    Well I think he's saying the 4bet is small given the stacks, remember we're like 325xBB deep. People will call wider this deep to win a big pot... it's the same thing as people won't (or shouldn't) call a 3bet to 10xBB with small PPs set-mining when you're 100xBB effective, but make it 200xBB effective and they probably will. So he can call the 4bet with alot of hands that will give easy decisions postflop.... i.e. if he calls pre w/ 67s, he's not gonna be in tons of horrible spots where his pair is dominated or w/e cos he's looking to flop massive and stack you or fold. FWIW, If he's being aggro then you can just flat IP and play some poker. If he's really aggro then you don't wanna just 4bet and make him fold a ton of his air hands. You have position and a hand that is gonna be crushing a rreally aggro players 3bet range, you don't have to just check/fold missed flops.
    Posted by Lambert180

exactly mr lambert :)

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: What to do?? : I ruled out AA/KK straight away.  There is no chance this villain doesnt 5 bet with these two hands. Which means im really worried about 3 hands.  QQ - I hold a blocker, 77 and 55.  He holds a lot more hands in his range which includes the flush draw.  910s, J10s, K10s, KJs as well as other hands like 89s or possibly even 86. Maybe he even has a pair + flush draw such as 78s or 67s.  He also has a Qx range too such as another AQ hand if he thinks I can't call a big bet with just an overpair or AK.  Im not saying he never has he beat here (obviously he does sometimes) however the action/history and range of the opponent IMO leans towards a call. And I know lambert I could float on a 10 high flop with AQ in position but if oppo barrels twice then what?  When I say villain has been 3 betting his BB.... I mean he has done it almost every orbit.  I've got to 4 bet pre to try to narrow his range surely? to also a lot of the time continuation bet and win the hand on the flop uncontested.
    Posted by gazza127

where is this history- just because villan 3bets pre alot and you have seen a wide range- this is totally different so massivly an incorrect call if your basing the decion on his earlier 3bets

• edited September 2013
    i thought it was to £13.50 but yea £15 still abit small given SS behind-  in OP you said   '' This is why I 4 bet as I think I get a fold a lot of the time from his junk hands and I can gain more info.'' im just goin off the information that you've given - to me it seems like your fed up with his aggression and want to make a stand- your taking a good hand and turning it into a bluff- what do u do if he makes it £37.. becasue were soo deep he should be taking advantage and calling alot of his 3bet range .. you said yourself that his range was undefined, so in your veiw he still must have quite a wide range so why cant he be calling with his entire 3bettin range that you described earlier..??? imo your opponent has the upper hand if you were to just fold unimproved vs his 3bet if you only flat- doesnt seem to me that your givin him a headache at all post flop - your saying that he didnt want to play poker OOP post- wheres you reads from this..? had he done this before and showed a bluff..? or is it jus because he 3bets his BB alot..? 
    Posted by LnarinOO

I understand but I dont think im turning my hand into a bluff as oppo will call worse.  If he makes it £37 then I have to fold preflop - its that simple.  Oppo is aggressive but when push comes to shove he's never going to 5 bet worse than AQ especially as 4 bets have been relatively rare on our table.

Well considering he had 3 bet his bb so often and has bet out on every flop and 90% of the time has gotten folds its quite obvious he doesnt like playing out of position unless he is the aggressor.

I had played him earlier in the day and he had just called in his BB almost every orbit.  I watched him call down with bottom pair on 3 streets v me thinking I had a draw and he lost a fair bit of money in about an hour.  When he came back a few hours later he had changed his game entirely to being a lot more aggressive when he's not in position to take down pots uncontested.  Maybe its best to just call IP but if I do this with all of my hands and miss flops... post flop play against an aggressive player is just a nono and its money down the drain.

Its funny.  I posted a hand similar to this (but with more post flop play) where I just flatted in position with KJs after the BB 3 bet.  I had said that oppo had done this very often and I got a couple of replies telling me to 4 bet pre.  Im confused as to what to do now.... mixed responses galore.

Either way I was looking for a simple call/fold answer from someone on the flop... I didn't really think the 4 bet pre was a big deal!

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: What to do?? : where is this history- just because villan 3bets pre alot and you have seen a wide range- this is totally different so massivly an incorrect call if your basing the decion on his earlier 3bets
    Posted by LnarinOO
    Im basing it on a ridiculous flop shove.

As said.... why would someone shove a set here when they get 0 value from unmade hands?

• edited September 2013
    Its hard to fold TPTK versus an aggro opponent especially when I've already eliminated AA and KK from his range.
  • edited September 2013
    chill your beans- im just giving my opinion.. :)

• edited September 2013
    chill your beans- im just giving my opinion.. :)
    Posted by LnarinOO
    Yeah I know and i appreciate it... is it really such a bad call?
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: What to do?? : Im basing it on a ridiculous flop shove. As said.... why would someone shove a set here when they get 0 value from unmade hands?
    Posted by gazza127
    Maybe this is why:

In Response to Re: What to do?? :  ...he's never going to 5 bet worse than AQ especially as 4 bets have been relatively rare on our table...
    Posted by gazza127
    If your perceived range is AA or KK and he doesn't think you can lay it down on the flop, then he's absolutely right to shove here. I don't agree with LNarin00 saying it's a bad shove from oppo if that's what he thinks of you...

In fact, if that's what he thinks of you it would be bad to do anything but shove the flop.

I obviously don't know what villain thinks of you, but this seems like a very plausible explanation.
  • edited September 2013
    I also don't like 4-betting pre-flop if we think villain is 3-betting lots of "junk" which he's then folding. You give examples of his weak 3-betting hands as 8T an 89, though you say that he's flatting your 4-bet with hands like this, so I'm a tad confused what you perceive as the hands he's 3-bet folding, or are these just bad examples?

All we need to think post-flop if we call his 3-bet is "Do I beat the range he's betting here?"

Then, if we call the flop we ask the same question again on the turn..

We just make the most +EV decision against the villain's range. If that means calling down with AQ high, then it means calling down with AQ high.

As played... meh... On the flop, I think it's your perceived range that's important. If you know he thinks your pre-flop 4-bet range is very narrow, and he still wants to get it in on the flop, you should be worried. He's not going to semi-bluff draws against hands he doesn't think you can fold. He doesn't seem like he's afraid of getting it in..

I think your perceived 4-bet range has to be pretty wide to give him credit for a semi-bluff here. If you're saying that he's been 3-betting lots and nobody has been 4-betting him, it looks like a fold on the flop... unless he's a complete nutter. You don't seem to know that he's a nutter, though..
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: What to do?? : Yeah I know and i appreciate it... is it really such a bad call?
    Posted by gazza127
    im just tryin to point out that the situation that you have been put in here is a new one..
    he has shown u agression before but in a totally differernt manner- 

previously he has risked £5.50 ish (as a 3bet) to pick up the pot. No-where has he risked his entire stack so im just saying that your reads on the villan are pretty much irrelevant as this is the 1st time you have seen him do this- the villan can be the most aggro person in the world with his 3bets - but please remeber he has flat ur 4bet and jammed with community cards out- 

u can own this type of player in a totally different way imo without tryin to guess what they hold .. 
    and lastly my thoughts on 4b AQ for value.... i wouldnt 4bet/fold AQ  if the villan is only goin to 5bet better and fold all worse- you really want to polarise your range here to 4/bet calling hands ie AA/KK or complete air which you have have and easy fold when he 5bets his nuts.. this keeps you complety balanced and allows you to play perfectly.. having said that im not too sure this would be the correct villan to apply this thought to..

agree with BL if he thinks you cannot fold a one pair hand then ofcourse its the correct JAM - my thoughts that its bad is because it gives us a chance to fold AA-KK-AQ-  in this case villan got it spot on and probally levelled you into to thinkin the overbet cannot be for value- WP then
  • edited September 2013
    Really interesting hearing Lnarino's views again!

We are not comparing oranges with oranges.

And just shows, just because you (I) would think that no one would ever open shove a set on the flop, for 200 plus big blinds because that is a bad play (imo), losing out on value, does not mean they would not.

I suppose that is a weakness of mines, as well as thinking what they are playing with, i rule things out based on the fact i would percieve it as "bad play".

I suppose sometimes it's best not to think that "oh thats bad play he's never got a set there or AA/ KK" and purely base it on the bet. Which is a big tell. Certainly readless.

Say for example, bythe same logic, we had AA here and to a lesser extent KK, we are folding these too?

I think we need too, it doesn't make sense the shove, but it's shouting loud and clear i have a monster.

Going back to this original hand, circa 100 big blinds deep i think i would call most times here (is that a mistake?)

The difference with this hand is that both players are so deep.

I know that's a mistake the amount of blinds should make no difference really. But if both players had only 100bbs, would you still say this a fold?
  • edited September 2013
    Lnarin just sent you a pm, it says your profile is blocked to friends only.

Hopefully you recieved it!
  • edited September 2013
    Really interesting hearing Lnarino's views again! We are not comparing oranges with oranges. And just shows, just because you (I) would think that no one would ever open shove a set on the flop, for 200 plus big blinds because that is a bad play (imo), losing out on value, does not mean they would not. I suppose that is a weakness of mines, as well as thinking what they are playing with, i rule things out based on the fact i would percieve it as "bad play". I suppose sometimes it's best not to think that "oh thats bad play he's never got a set there or AA/ KK" and purely base it on the bet. Which is a big tell. Certainly readless. Say for example, bythe same logic, we had AA here and to a lesser extent KK, we are folding these too? I think we need too, it doesn't make sense the shove, but it's shouting loud and clear i have a monster. Going back to this original hand, circa 100 big blinds deep i think i would call most times here (is that a mistake?) The difference with this hand is that both players are so deep. I know that's a mistake the amount of blinds should make no difference really. But if both players had only 100bbs, would you still say this a fold?
    Posted by LARSON7

if i thought sets and AA/KK were not in there range then it would be an easy call.. because of the reasons i said earlier i think it would be an easy fold because they are in the villans range - its still a bad play shoving IMO because it makes it easier to fold - 

try not to rule things out because it shouldnt be played the way they played it - try to understand how someone veiws their game and how they veiw yours- the more accurate you can do this then the more £££ and +EV plays you will make-  
    i see too many ppl making population reads and assuptions where they just go with what the majority think- if your ever goin to 'move up' you have to try and think how your opponent veiws poker.. 

AA KK and AQ i would fold each one just as easy until i saw the villain show me a reason to call.. i may stuggle to fold AA in game as villan could sometimes have KK but for the Stacks im pretty sure i would folf in game-

100bb deep is totally different - you would rarley get someone just calling a 4bet - this is why u can 4bet smaller - 100bb id be very wary about jus a call pre- id prob exercise pot control on the flop as i see no value in a cbet- he either will raise his slow played AA- KK or sets  (yes i see this alot) and wlll fold his 10-JJ- 

the amount of blinds effective makes alllll the difference - if we're 100bb deep then theres not too much u can be gettin away from - many of the best pros hate playing +300bb especially playing the likes of dwan/ivey- where they can maneuver there opponents off the best hand jus with pure (sick) aggression.. 

i will check my inbox :)
  • edited September 2013
    Tbf, it's all opponent based whether we shove the set here or not, as BL said it depends on what you think of the opponent. For instance, some people (not many) I can just 4bet ship AA pre 100xBB eff and expect to get a lot of calls... against most people my 4bet size would NEVER be even close to a shove w/ 100xBB eff.

Likewise some people raise the flop and you know you can just 3b ship sets, others you have to call and let them barrel off cos a 3b shove on the flop would make them fold overpairs.

I dunno if the villian thought this deeply about it or not, and if he did I expect it's much more likely he's expecting you to snap with AA/KK not AQ.

RE: flatting. yes we can float on a T high flop, but doesn't have to be that kinda flop to float, there's also loads of boards we can just call for value, we can also obv hit, and .... we can just fold, we don't have to win every hand :) If you think a board is good for his range to 3bet (but as you say you're not sure what that is) and poor for ours in the sense that we're likely behind and unable to rep/get him off stuff, then obv we can just fold.