You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New to sky poker, was this my fault?

edited September 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Hi All,

This is my first post so I hope I've copied the hand details properly.

Was it my fault I got broke here or was I just unlucky?

Hand History #692680357 (15:56 22/09/2013)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Amber123 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £2.43
TFisher Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £4.21
LARSON7 Big blind   £0.04 £0.10 £3.96
  Your hole cards
  • Q

san-pedro Call   £0.04 £0.14 £1.59
LARSON7 Check        
_DOOLA_ Fold        
Amber123 Fold        
TFisher Check        
Flop

• Q

TFisher Check        
san-pedro Check        
LARSON7 Check        
Turn

TFisher Bet   £0.14 £0.28 £4.07
san-pedro Fold        
LARSON7 Raise   £0.46 £0.74 £3.50
TFisher Raise   £1.38 £2.12 £2.69
LARSON7 Call   £1.06 £3.18 £2.44
River

TFisher All-in   £2.69 £5.87 £0.00
LARSON7 All-in   £2.44 £8.31 £0.00
TFisher Unmatched bet   £0.25 £8.06 £0.25
TFisher Show
  • Q

LARSON7 Show

LARSON7 Win Flush to the Queen £7.45   £7.45

Comments

• edited September 2013
    I wouldn't say it's your fault you went broke on that hand.

You really should have bet the flop with your two pair hand. Larson would have came along with you regardless, with the flush draw, but you should be looking to build a pot when you hit it like that. Whether you win or lose is irrelevant.

Of course, when the turn comes another heart, you bet and Larson raises, you should be thinking there is a good chance he probably has it, but you shouldn't get into the habit of folding just because there are three of one suit out there. When he calls your all-in on the river, it's pretty much locked on that's what he has, but it's just a bit unfortunate really. Two big hands going to war with each other.

So... not your fault you went broke. I would just change the manner in which you did!
  • edited September 2013
    Thanks, I almost bet on the flop but thought as I'd  limped in he'd just fold.

In Response to Re: New to sky poker, was this my fault?:
    I wouldn't say it's your fault you went broke on that hand. You really should have bet the flop with your two pair hand. Larson would have came along with you regardless, with the flush draw, but you should be looking to build a pot when you hit it like that. Whether you win or lose is irrelevant. Of course, when the turn comes another heart, you bet and Larson raises, you should be thinking there is a good chance he probably has it, but you shouldn't get into the habit of folding just because there are three of one suit out there. When he calls your all-in on the river, it's pretty much locked on that's what he has, but it's just a bit unfortunate really. Two big hands going to war with each other. So... not your fault you went broke. I would just change the manner in which you did!
    Posted by Slipwater
  • edited September 2013
    Hey.

Welcome to the forum! the clinic is really good for posting hands you will always get good feedback from players across all different levels/ abilities.

In this hand here, i must have just sat down at the table.

On the flop you are probably looking for someone to bet to re-raise them.

You are first to act, i would probably bet here to try and get some value from your 2 pair. Bet maybe about 7-8p. If everyone fold's then you've won the pot and onto the next one.

When i started playing a while ago i was always scared of people folding when i had a strong hand, so i used to "slow play" a lot. I soon learned that in "slow playing" quite often i allowed players to overtake me and would lose big pots. While the other times they didn't improve i was only winning small pots. Which results in more losses than wins.

If someone folds then we've won a small pot and onto the next one, i would say don't be scared of people folding.

With this hand in particular, on the turn the flush got there. Your opponent may well not have a flush, but there's always the chance they have.

When i raise your raise, a lot of the time at 4nl your opponent a lot of times here is going to have the flush. Even q9 is now beating your hand. It could be a bluff, but is unlikely at 4nl.

When you raise i can either shove or just call, and let you shove the river, or if you check i shove the river.

You are unlucky in the hand, 2 pair is a big hand. But what i would say is, you need to think what is beating me, and not just look at the strength of your hand, in this example 2 pair. Q9 beats us, any set beats us, and any 2 hearts beat us.

On the turn probably just call my raise. then the pot is about £1.10. On the river check / call a bet.

The problem with how the hand was played, the only real hands that you are up against have us dominated most times.

Good luck at the tables!
  • edited September 2013
    Don't listen to Larson though - he likes to go all in with 8 2 offsuit :)
  • edited September 2013
    Thanks for this. 

Looking at it now it is clear that I shoud have bet on the flop, it was clear that the hands that would have me beat were drwing hands and I should have made you pay to draw to them rather than offering a free card. You're right that I lost sight of what had me beat, when I flopped the top two-pair I decided to jam and stopped think about our draws from then on.

Thanks for the luck

Hey. Welcome to the forum! the clinic is really good for posting hands you will always get good feedback from players across all different levels/ abilities. In this hand here, i must have just sat down at the table. On the flop you are probably looking for someone to bet to re-raise them. You are first to act, i would probably bet here to try and get some value from your 2 pair. Bet maybe about 7-8p. If everyone fold's then you've won the pot and onto the next one. When i started playing a while ago i was always scared of people folding when i had a strong hand, so i used to "slow play" a lot. I soon learned that in "slow playing" quite often i allowed players to overtake me and would lose big pots. While the other times they didn't improve i was only winning small pots. Which results in more losses than wins. If someone folds then we've won a small pot and onto the next one, i would say don't be scared of people folding. With this hand in particular, on the turn the flush got there. Your opponent may well not have a flush, but there's always the chance they have. When i raise your raise, a lot of the time at 4nl your opponent a lot of times here is going to have the flush. Even q9 is now beating your hand. It could be a bluff, but is unlikely at 4nl. When you raise i can either shove or just call, and let you shove the river, or if you check i shove the river. You are unlucky in the hand, 2 pair is a big hand. But what i would say is, you need to think what is beating me, and not just look at the strength of your hand, in this example 2 pair. Q9 beats us, any set beats us, and any 2 hearts beat us. On the turn probably just call my raise. then the pot is about £1.10. On the river check / call a bet. The problem with how the hand was played, the only real hands that you are up against have us dominated most times. Good luck at the tables!
    Posted by LARSON7
  • edited September 2013
    Is that bad then? ;-)

Don't listen to Larson though - he likes to go all in with 8 2 offsuit :)
    Posted by Slipwater
  • edited September 2013
    Don't go broke in limpped pots.

Allthough seeing a flop for free from the blinds might seem like a good thing you should proceed with caution, even when you flop 2 pair. Generally you want to be playing post flop with the advantage of a) being the pre-flop aggressor and b) being in possition. Neither of which are true when this happens. On top of that you know nothing at all about the villians' hands. You want to get the maximum value from you hand granted, but you also don't want to lose lots to a better hand.

My advise for these situations would be to take the following line. Check-call flop, bet-fold full pot on turn, bet-fold half pot on river. That is you play passive pot control on the flop, big bet on the turn and then value bet the river. Anyone that raises to this line will likely have you beat so you can fold safely. Granted thinking players might work this out and exploit you; but those players probably aren't going to end up in that many limpped pots from possitions other than the blinds.
  • edited September 2013
    Don't go broke in limpped pots. Allthough seeing a flop for free from the blinds might seem like a good thing you should proceed with caution, even when you flop 2 pair. Generally you want to be playing post flop with the advantage of a) being the pre-flop aggressor and b) being in possition. Neither of which are true when this happens. On top of that you know nothing at all about the villians' hands. You want to get the maximum value from you hand granted, but you also don't want to lose lots to a better hand. My advise for these situations would be to take the following line. Check-call flop, bet-fold full pot on turn, bet-fold half pot on river. That is you play passive pot control on the flop, big bet on the turn and then value bet the river. Anyone that raises to this line will likely have you beat so you can fold safely. Granted thinking players might work this out and exploit you; but those players probably aren't going to end up in that many limpped pots from possitions other than the blinds.
    Posted by jugglegeek

This makes little sense.

Bet the flop (big at 4nl - people love seeing an extra card at 4nl).  You have a monster hand and you want to start building the pot straight away.
    Bet the turn - if raised a lot of the time this means the flush got there.  Proceed with caution.  You can call the raise and look to house up on the river but if that fails and oppo bets big on river then theres no shame in folding.... or call a small bet.

At 4nl you always want to be betting your big hands.  You will get paid the majority of the time.  Just be wary of what opponents range may be and always see what the board texture brings and how that affects the strength of your hand.
  • edited September 2013

This is a good hand to be posting because it highlights clearly a problem that virtually every player has in this game. We all get caught in blinkered thinking, we see our hand and we see the parts of the board that help us without really seeing anything else or considering our opponents range. Done this more times than i can mention so know it well.

Right we know you hit big. But let us go through the hand just trying to range our opponents at each step to see if we can narrow them down.

Preflop: A limper= weak hand hoping to get lucky could be any 2 really.
                 Poster checking= Impossible to range at the moment but can easily discount all premium hands

Flop: Double check behind= EliminateQx holding   that is pretty much all there apart from Ahxh.

Turn: A raise to a pot sized bet= Either a made hand or a very big draw. Just cant see someone taking off on a weird bluff into a pot that noone has shown any interest in. So possible holdings here are xhxh(low cards)  68 TJ with one heart and possibly Ax Kx with 1 heart.97 and 95 are possibles as well. The call of the reraise shows that they like either their hand or draw. It is also nicely set up for a river shove from either of you.

River: Now that is as much of a blank card that you could ever see, cant really see 63 in the ranges here. So now we know exactly the score. You are either a mile behind or against a busted draw. Very hard to tell which one at this point but can see that the opponents range is very polarised.

So the river shove against a polarised range. I dont like it. The only hands that will call are the ones that have you beat and all bluffs are removed from the hand. If they do have a busted draw here some of the times then they need to be given the chance to try to bluff their way out of the hand, the bluff call doesnt really happen much.

So as for your actions here.

Flop: bet dont check, never give a free card to potential draws.
     Turn: Very strong line by opponent so i would flat the raise instead of reraising. Still allows for the check raise on the river and allows us to see how the board plays out.
     River: as i said dont like the shove here. looks more like a check call situation and hope he doesnt shove to make it a harder decision for us.

Just my thoughts here. Am sure many will disagree but hope some of it helps