You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Getting my head around bankroll...

edited September 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi all,

I've been playing poker for about 2 years, but its only recently ive noticed MASSIVE improvements in my game. I've been reading alot online, watching videos, studying Ivey, Hansen etc. And I very much want to one day change from where I am now to Poker Pro. I know its not all beverley hills, but I adore poker and the thrill of winning, and I no longer want to be a wage slave!

Bankroll is an issue for me, I have never deposited more than £10 at a time, playing cash 2p/4p. I know my bankroll should be considerably a lot more than £10, however I can't really afford to have silly money sitting in my account, while bills need to be paid. I'd usually deposit £10, win £20, then over the course of 4 days, lose the lot as I get too confident and think im unbeatable!

Pay day is fast approaching, and I plan to deposit £30.00. My question is, without losing the lot, but still playing as much as I do (4-5 hours daily) how can I build a healthy bankroll (£200+)?

Comments

• edited September 2013
    positive tilt is a nightmare 

my advice if u starting of £30 roll 

play the dtd monday 3 tourneys gd fun for £5.50 and prizes to be won 

also i think dyms are gd for building a roll if ya a tight player then they just for u load up 4 tables easy monies 

4nl ok but with £30 u can easily lose that in 1 nite with the swings 

so my advice is build a roll playing dyms and small mtts 

good luck 
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Getting my head around bankroll...:
    Hi all, I've been playing poker for about 2 years, but its only recently ive noticed MASSIVE improvements in my game. I've been reading alot online, watching videos, studying Ivey, Hansen etc. And I very much want to one day change from where I am now to Poker Pro. I know its not all beverley hills, but I adore poker and the thrill of winning, and I no longer want to be a wage slave! Bankroll is an issue for me, I have never deposited more than £10 at a time, playing cash 2p/4p. I know my bankroll should be considerably a lot more than £10, however I can't really afford to have silly money sitting in my account, while bills need to be paid. I'd usually deposit £10, win £20, then over the course of 4 days, lose the lot as I get too confident and think im unbeatable! Pay day is fast approaching, and I plan to deposit £30.00. My question is, without losing the lot, but still playing as much as I do (4-5 hours daily) how can I build a healthy bankroll (£200+)?
    Posted by C_Sheen509
    theres no definate answer on how you can build a bankroll, if it was that simple everyone would do it, find a game what you can beat whether it be cash, mtts or stts and grind like hell. dont play outside you're bankroll or you will most definately go bust and be back to sqaure one. good luck.
  • edited September 2013
    If you are starting with £30 play the game you enjoy the most. If that is cash, play 4nl, 2 or 3 tables and try and build it up, but it of course depends on how good you are.

Also, play the freerolls at 7, if you do well you can get 1-2 pound.
  • edited September 2013
    I started off the same as you, depositing a tenner, getting up and blowing it all away. At the end of May I deposited another tenner after blowing my poker fund (cant really call it a roll). I decided to play uber tight and only go for it with the nutz. I played a couple of hours every few nights and kept this up for a couple of months. I now have a "roll" that is suitable for NL4, about 65 Buy Ins . I now occassionally dabble in NL8 and NL10 with the knowledge that if I can afford to lose a couple of Buy ins and drop back to NL4.

Once I had a bit of cash behind me I started to change my game as I could afford to play a bit looser and not have to play so tight. My rules for NL4

1 Make sure you have good hand selection
    2 Dont get married to your hand, remember, AK is only Ace high
    3 Watch out for the regs, play them with good hands but dont get involved in spots with marginal hands
    4 DO NOT BLUFF. People will call with the strangest hands
    5 Variance will beat you down, play right and it will come good

I aint no Phil Ivey and have no desire to be a pro, some of the better players might have different thoughts but this is what I found worked for me.

Good Luck

• edited September 2013
    Give up now. I dont mean to crush your dreams but the amount of players who have that goal is astronomical, compared to the very small amount that actually make a consistent income which covers their living costs.

"Pay day is fast approaching, and I plan to deposit £30.00" - Plan to go pro - If it was this easy dont you think everyone would be doing this?
  • edited September 2013
    + 1 to this no point bluffing in 4 nl it never works bet for value on ya good hands

1 Make sure you have good hand selection
    2 Dont get married to your hand, remember, AK is only Ace high
    3 Watch out for the regs, play them with good hands but dont get involved in spots with marginal hands
    4 DO NOT BLUFF. People will call with the strangest hands
    5 Variance will beat you down, play right and it will come goo
  • edited September 2013
    hi  C  Sheen,

first thing your right to think bankroll, as simple as it may seem its one of the biggest downfalls of  alot  of casual players, keep to the rules, beat the game your in, then move up,but its easier said than done, as you will find as you move up the ladder the players are much better, and your right on the bottom rung. 

a good tip would be to download Team viewer  and get someone to watch your game and give you abit of advice on any basic mistakes you are making as you move up the ladder, I am sure a small cash player off this forum would not mind watching your game now and then, I cannot help as my cash games are really bad, infact I do  ok at tornys then lose it on the cash, but thats me,   ps try to get someone to watch your games  from the 5p/10p if possible 

GL and let us know how you get on
  • edited September 2013

Ignore advice to not bluff at NL4 (2p/4p). You shouldn't think of the game as "How do I beat this level?" You should think of the game as "How do I exploit this particular opponent?"

Develop your game to combat individuals. That's what the game is about. Some players you can triple-barrel-bluff against and some you shouldn't even c-bet against very often. Play the game to "beat the level" and you'll find yourself going nowhere fast.

When you're talking about  going pro, I'm sure you realise that it's a very tough thing to do. Equally, I wouldn't be put off by people like RyanC7 telling you to give up. There is no barrier to prevent anyone from reaching a point at which they're making enough money to pay their way in life. The only reason that most players don't reach that point is that they lack the motivation and drive to get there. It takes commitment, open-mindedness and alot of time, and most people are not willing to put that long-term effort into it. Chances are that you're like most of the rest of us and won't have that determination, but if you do have it there's nothing inherent in the game to stop you. There's no 'natural talent' to it.

Getting back to the bankroll question:

If you're playing cash games with a £30 roll, obviously you should be coming in at the bottom level; NL4. There's no point worrying about BRM at this point because there is no lower level to move down to on Sky. If you're not very good yet, you might end up losing all of it and you should expect that. Learning the game comes at a cost.

The BRM for moving up is different for everyone. Some will feel comfortable moving up with 20 buy-ins for the next level, others will want 50 buy-ins. The bottom line is that, if your play is affected by the worry of losing the money, you're playing at too high a level. The key to winning cash poker is to be able to remove the monetary value of your stack from your thinking. Learn to think of your stack in terms of the number of big blinds you're playing. That allows you to play the same at NL4 as you would at NL50: Each decision is just for X number of big blinds and not Y number of pounds.