You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Playing the "away" button?

edited September 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys,

Got a question here, but I may be being paranoid!

Naturally when someone at the table is "away", and you're the only person left in the hand with the person who is away, you raise so they auto-fold and you steal the pot. However, in my experience, every time they come back - they always immediately raise/go all-in. This seems to happen EVERY time they come back so my question is do people just sit at the screen pretending to be away, but then surprise everyone by going all-in with a good hand?

Comments

• edited September 2013
    I've seen this done on perhaps a couple of occasions in all the time I've been playing. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Generally the better players are playing multiple tables at once so don't have time for silly little 'tricks' like this.

In other words, if you've found someone doing this sort of thing, they're probably not a very good player that thinks they're being clever. I don't think there's much advantage to be gained by doing it.
  • edited September 2013
    Definitely being paranoid :P If someone does this it's a stupid tactic anyway. I don't see what they're gaining from playing a good hand like this as opposed to just folding and waiting for a good hand to do the same thing? OK they're guaranteed an extra BB from someone definitely raising their big blind if they're in the big blind when they come back but that's about it.

Most of the time when they come back and shove it's just not going to be a good hand. They might just be doing it because: 1) they're short stacked and 2) they know people will have been stealing their blinds with any 2, so it's a profitable shove with any 2.

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Playing the "away" button?:
    I've seen this done on perhaps a couple of occasions in all the time I've been playing. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Generally the better players are playing multiple tables at once so don't have time for silly little 'tricks' like this. In other words, if you've found someone doing this sort of thing, they're probably not a very good player that thinks they're being clever. I don't think there's much advantage to be gained by doing it.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Haha, very good point that! :-)

In Response to Re: Playing the "away" button?:
    Definitely being paranoid :P If someone does this it's a stupid tactic anyway. I don't see what they're gaining from playing a good hand like this as opposed to just folding and waiting for a good hand to do the same thing? OK they're guaranteed an extra BB from someone definitely raising their big blind if they're in the big blind when they come back but that's about it. Most of the time when they come back and shove it's just not going to be a good hand. They might just be doing it because: 1) they're short stacked and 2) they know people will have been stealing their blinds with any 2, so it's a profitable shove with any 2.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Yeah, probably right. Just wanted to know if I was being paranoid or not!