You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Wrong Play?

edited September 2013 in The Poker Clinic
This hand is from tonights mini. I had been pretty much card dead and everyone says you have to try and pick spots in the mid stages of an MTT to pick up chips.

There had been 2 limpers, and yes I know my hand wasnt great but I thought I would get this through and even if a limper calls I should be ahead against them. When the button calls I think oh oh, the person calling was someone who has made 25K on this site according to SS. I must be missing soemthing, is calling my shove with his hand the kind of play that makes a winning MTT player?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
steely54Small blind 75.0075.002687.50
AVFCLEEBig blind 150.00225.005535.00
 Your hole cards
  • A

ALLIN93Call 150.00375.00845.00
jackmanCall 150.00525.009280.00
dabossmanAll-in 1977.502502.500.00
xCall 1977.504480.004602.50
steely54Fold    
AVFCLEEFold    
ALLIN93Fold    
jackmanFold    
dabossmanShow
  • A

xShow

Flop

Turn

River

• Q

xWinTwo Pairs, 10s and 9s4480.00 9082.50

Comments

• edited September 2013
    right move gd squeeze and blinds are worth taking 
  • edited September 2013
    Well, obviously the villain's call is not great. Perhaps a misclick or a misread. I dunno. We can't complain when our opponents make mistakes, though.

As for your shove; It's fine, I think. You're never likely to be called by a worse hand (this occasion being an exception) but the two limpers are showing great weakness and really sweetening the pot for your steal attempt. With 14BB, the 3.5BB in the middle represents a potential 27% boost to your stack. You don't have to take that down a huge proportion of the time for this to be a profitable shove. In a vacuum, it should be fine.

The only reason I hesitate is that there are a few players behind you, yet to act. It would be helpful to know something about their likely calling ranges. If they're calling a wide range, this becomes a much less profitable shove. Obviously the same is true if you think either of the limpers is likely to call wide.

Even so, I'd think it's a profitable shove in almost every circumstance. When you are called, unless you're facing specifically AA, you're going to have at least 30% equity. Given that, the chances of taking down 27% of your stack uncontested should certainly make this a profitable shove.