You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Flop play when missed

edited October 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Here's an example of one of my hands today - and an aspect of poker I am struggling with:
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
ROBERTF96 Small blind   50.00 50.00 2710.00
Ownedbaby Big blind   100.00 150.00 5585.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

brockyboy8 Fold        
buddha69 Fold        
peter27 Raise   200.00 350.00 3030.00
ROBERTF96 Call   150.00 500.00 2560.00
Ownedbaby Call   100.00 600.00 5485.00
Flop

ROBERTF96 Check        
Ownedbaby Check        
peter27 Check        
Turn

ROBERTF96 Check        
Ownedbaby Bet   100.00 700.00 5385.00
peter27 Fold        
ROBERTF96 Fold        
Ownedbaby Show

Ownedbaby Win   600.00   5985.00
Ownedbaby Return   100.00 0.00 6085.00
- I'm fairly sure my opening bet was standard, but after I missed the flop, what should I be doing? Betting to represent strength on a cold board (rainbow flop, only potential draw is the straight) OR checking to see a cheap extra card?
- As for my turn play, I'm quite sure I was right to fold but I am still learning so open to advice!

Comments

• edited September 2013
    dry flop, c bet and give up if any resistance.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Flop play when missed:
    dry flop, c bet and give up if any resistance.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Interesting, do others agree/disagree?
  • edited September 2013
    I'd agree with c-betting the flop. It would be nice to know something about our two opponents but, generally speaking, even three-handed on a relatively dry flop like this, a small continuation-bet will just about be profitable.

So, I'd c-bet about 250 on this flop and just give up if you get action. A half-pot c-bet has to get through just one time in three if it's going to break even. Obviously betting a little under half-pot means it has to get through even less often.

I know you're fairly new to the game, forgive me if you already know some of the things I'm about to say:

Our bet sizes need to be similar sizes regardless of whether we're strong or weak. If we're bluffing we don't want people to be able to distinguish that from our value bet, purely based on the size of our bet. So when I say to bet just under half the pot, it assumes that this would not seem out of the ordinary from you. If, in the past, you've bet full-pot on flops like this with your big hands, it's not convincing to bet small when you're bluffing.

There are reasons to vary the size of our flop bets, but these will never be based upon the strength of our hand. They will include the texture of the flop; wet (draw-heavy) or dry (few draws present), our position, the tendencies of our opponents, etc.

Sorry. Went off on one there... Pre-flop is fine, think about betting the flop when it's checked to you.
  • edited September 2013
    Oh, and it's going to be helpful to you if, when you post hands in future, you include your reads on your opponents.

Just think about the things you've seen them do and the impression you've had of them. Telling us about those things will allow us to give you better advice, showing how the advice changes based upon the type of opponent we're facing. It will also get you thinking more about those things as you write them and you'll begin noticing more things when you're at the table.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Flop play when missed : Interesting, do others agree/disagree?
    Posted by peter27
    is my opinion not enough, if i tell you to c bet just do it ok!!! just kidding. ha
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Flop play when missed : is my opinion not enough, if i tell you to c bet just do it ok!!! just kidding. ha
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Haha. What Rock says. I'd take a stab at it, don't need to bet too much. It's a really poor board as it smacks the range of the blinds just calling. If you get called or raised then shut down.
  • edited September 2013
    Yeah, continuation bet 9 times out of 10. I'm never a fan of seeing 7 8 on the flop because it's the kind of holding that many players will call an initial raise with. At the very least, it's an obvious draw.
  • edited October 2013
    I'd agree with c-betting the flop. It would be nice to know something about our two opponents but, generally speaking, even three-handed on a relatively dry flop like this, a small continuation-bet will just about be profitable. So, I'd c-bet about 250 on this flop and just give up if you get action. A half-pot c-bet has to get through just one time in three if it's going to break even. Obviously betting a little under half-pot means it has to get through even less often. I know you're fairly new to the game, forgive me if you already know some of the things I'm about to say: Our bet sizes need to be similar sizes regardless of whether we're strong or weak. If we're bluffing we don't want people to be able to distinguish that from our value bet, purely based on the size of our bet. So when I say to bet just under half the pot, it assumes that this would not seem out of the ordinary from you. If, in the past, you've bet full-pot on flops like this with your big hands, it's not convincing to bet small when you're bluffing. There are reasons to vary the size of our flop bets, but these will never be based upon the strength of our hand. They will include the texture of the flop; wet (draw-heavy) or dry (few draws present), our position, the tendencies of our opponents, etc. Sorry. Went off on one there... Pre-flop is fine, think about betting the flop when it's checked to you.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Very helpful post, thanks! :) Everyone seems in agreement here!

In Response to Re: Flop play when missed : is my opinion not enough, if i tell you to c bet just do it ok!!! just kidding. ha
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Haha! Grateful for your post of course, but these are just opinions - it would be silly to listen to just one person ;-)