You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Effects of a Downswing

edited September 2013 in Poker Chat

I've noticed a couple of good, long-term winning players talking about downswings recently.

My question for you is; how badly do you think thoughts of "I'm on a massive £1k downswing" perpetuate the downswing itself? How much impact does it have on your play that you know you've been losing a lot lately?

Personally it's a long time since I've played enough volume to really notice this sort of thing but back in the day, losing definitely encouraged losing. I don't think that's something that would affect me quite so much nowadays but what are your thoughts?

Any suggestions to help people break that kind of mindset?

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Yo! Thought I'd post seen as I assume I'm one of the players in mind when you posted this.

Losing definitely does tend to encourage losing. It's like when people go on passive tilt... they're so sick of being outdrawn loads so what do they do... they start calling in spots where they should be raising until they see the board has run out safely and what happens... they just make it even more likely people will come along and so they get outdrawn even more... which encourages you to go even more into your shell and then suddenly you're a passive rock not even playing a winning game anymore.

I've experienced some pretty nasty patches before so I was getting quite good at handling it but this recent one has really took the wind out of me. In terms of period of time it's only 4 days but that's a whole lot of hands when you play 8hr per day 12tabling, that could be 2+ weeks worth of hands to someone else.

Like I was saying to Dohhhhh, it's completely mashed my head, there were spots last night where I had say AQ on a AJxx flop, I'd raised pre and c-bet and it's a board where I'm 100% barrelling the turn for value and last night I was just like urgh.... I dont wanna do this, cos I'm just so used to finding out some raggy ace has coolered me or just gets there on the river anyway. I did ignore my urge to check the turn, got a call and they did bink 2pr on the river with A5 lol but yeh I did the right thing but it's not easy.

I don't have any suggestions to break the mindset but would be grateful if others did!
  • edited September 2013
    Suffering a similar problem this month.

It makes my mindset all worng i seem to sit down at the table now and expect to lose and just waiting for the inevitable to happen. I'm getting alot better at realising the early signes of when i am playing bad and adjust or stand up quicker but sometimes vairence is varience and you are just going to lose.

I havent had a winning session in about a week now and im just going to give it a break wait for C4P to come through next month and try and start afreash. This gives me a break and hopefully i will be fired up and wanting to play byt he time i play seriously again.

Obviously this is bad interms of profitablilty as if you are playing the game correctly it shouldnt matter if your having a downswing or an up you should be playing the same. But it is my belief your head needs to be in the right place for you to deal with the swings and mine isint there atm so im locking up the last few months profits for a while before i lose the rest of it to
  • edited September 2013
    I know it's hard for some people, but i have found the best think to do is have a few days away from the tables.
    Or play freerolls where you can change your game, try a few things, and it aint hurting you,but if your heads not right as 
    Lambert has said, you deffo dont play you A game. It's like a voice in the back of your head saying, doesn't matter how you play this you've lost, and it realy does mess you up..
  • edited September 2013
    Is a downswing measured in time or £££?

How many losing sessions constitutes a ds?

I always thought it was a prolonged period, weeks or even months.

4/5/6/7 bad days in a row is just short term runbad? or is it, idk.
  • edited September 2013

I have experienced my worst downswing £’s/bi’s this year -  it lasted for around 12 weeks.

The nut worst time as I just stepped up to nl50.

I questioned everything about my game and the more I looked through my HH’s the more I became disillusioned with the game. I actually considered giving up poker it was that bad.

I still don’t think I am fully out of it yet!

I actually thought while in the middle of the downswing that it’s just a blip and it will turn, but as the days grew into weeks I became more and more annoyed with the injustice of it all. I should of stepped down earlier but didn’t because I wasn’t playing bad.

So I eventually stepped down from nl50 when my KK AIPR was beaten by 10’s and set me down another 4 bi’s.

It was the last nail in the coffin, I withdraw it all. I spent a few days just going through my HH’s and looking at my game. I came to conclusion that I can still win and it was just a horrible experience. So I deposited a % of my roll back on and I’ll see where I go from here.

Do downswings effect your game, without doubt yes they do if you let it.

During my downswing I made some shocking plays and had to be really disciplined to remove them from my game and remain focused. Keep on reviewing your sessions and show some hands to other people just to confirm your own thinking or they may shed some light on your own bad play.

Just like heaters, downswings are part of poker – I would be just happy with running slightly above EV for a few weeks 

Good luck it’s a long road and an absolute massive test on your mental game.

Poker is easy when you winning.

Marc

• edited September 2013
    cant beat a good down swing, feels brilliant when it turns and you're back to winning ways. its like having make up s£x with the site
  • edited September 2013
    Not too long ago I had a really bad downswing with only a single cash of £16 in the space of a month or so. I'm only a micro stakes player and was losing my BR steadily. I have a very limited income and I was starting to feel pressure to cash. I'm positive that my play started to suffer as I chased a cash. I found I was playing hands I should have folded pre flop and getting fishy. I decided to take a week off, watch a few poker training vids and try and refocus. I came back and had the best 3 or 4 weeks I've ever had results wise.

So yes a downswing does affect you mentally and your mental attitude can lengthen the downswing. Whether I would have turned it round without a break I'm not sure.
  • edited September 2013
    I had my second prelonged downswing on sky recently - 2 full weeks, 150 tourneys and £1500 in the red. The first one, I lost £1.5k in just 100 tourneys! 

My personal experience is that the first time I had a prelonged downswing it effected my game ALOT. my confidence went and I started to play badly as well as run badly. I dont really suffer badly from tilt, but I began to start sessions already feeling tilted, knowing i was going to lose, and it didnt take much to tilt me further (playing 12 tables and constantly getting it in good and losing can do that pretty easily!) I ended up playing just 2 tables at lower stakes for a while until i ironed out a few leaks that had crept into my game and i was more confident in my play again.

The second downswing lasted longer, but didnt feel as bad, and I also didnt play as badly, I think as a result of what I learned from the first downswing.

I would say the things that have helped me during downswings have been:
    - make sure you have the right mentality: no matter how hard it is when you suffer bad beat after bad beat, expect it and welcome it, because it proves that there are worse players than you out there. they must be worse than you if they are contantly getting it in with you in the lead. You dont want it to be any different since they are the players you will make money from in the long run, and they have to win some of the time to make it fun. Keep reminding yourself of that

-Take a break until the feeling of "doom" has gone. i stopped playing for a few days (ok, maybe just one day) until i could start a session without feeling tilted to start with. during that time instead of playing i watched videos on dealing with tilt and dealing with downswings as wels as others.

-Analyze your hands more: spend more time analyzing your bust hands and big hands in tourney to make sure that you are makig the correct plays. Get advice if your not sure. Its amazing how badly you can play sometimes when you are running badly too. tilt is a horrible thing, try to get it under control and concentrate on just making the right decisions. this should help aleviate some of those fears that you arent good enough any more or you were never good enough, just getting lucky.

-play fewer tables and lower stakes so that you can fully concentrate on every decision, lower stakes = less tilting when you lose + be easier to win at.

• edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Effects of a Downswing:
    make sure you have the right mentality: no matter how hard it is when you suffer bad beat after bad beat, expect it and welcome it, because it proves that there are worse players than you out there.
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Just wanted to pick up on this point. I'm pretty good imo at handling bad beats now for the reason you stated above. We gotta be happy when we get it in good cos we're winning longterm etc etc.

BUT... how do you deal with it when you're not getting it in good, you're consistently getting it in bad but in ways that are unavoidable? Like middle set into top set over and over. This is what's happening to me atm btw... every time I flop top 2, someone has flopped a straight, everytime I flop a set they've flopped a flush and I brick the FH etc etc.
  • edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Effects of a Downswing:
    In Response to Re: Effects of a Downswing : Just wanted to pick up on this point. I'm pretty good imo at handling bad beats now for the reason you stated above. We gotta be happy when we get it in good cos we're winning longterm etc etc. BUT... how do you deal with it when you're not getting it in good, you're consistently getting it in bad but in ways that are unavoidable? Like middle set into top set over and over. This is what's happening to me atm btw... every time I flop top 2, someone has flopped a straight, everytime I flop a set they've flopped a flush and I brick the FH etc etc.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thinking about the hand our opponent actually has is results oriented thinking. We need to not care about whether we got it in good or bad, just whether playing this hand this way against this opponent will be +EV in the long-term. Whether we run into the top of his range on this one occasion isn't the issue.

Obviously it hurts when we keep running into the top of his range... but I suppose then we need to ask whether the bottom of his range is where we think it is.
  • edited September 2013
    devastating,thats all i can say,ive never been the same since i had a 7 month downswing,i must of been on a massive heater b4 it happend
  • edited September 2013
    sometimes, the effect of a long downswlng can tempt us to question the integrity of the site, but we are not allowed to anymore, so lots of time saved there! ---- thanks sky!
  • edited September 2013
    Well that -40 BI downswing is looking alot more like a -60 BI downswing now. Sat down tonight, only playing 6 tables so I could be much more focussed and concentrate on playing well... alot of good that did.

Head feeling mashed, I just dunno wtf I can do, just completely unable to win a hand.

AK v A5 aipf twice, lose both
    QQ v AK aipf - lose
    AK v 93 aipf (yes i know lol) - lose
    AK v A8 aipf - lose
    QQ v KK aipf - lose as expected but cooler.

Meh can't remember or care to list the times I got it in on the flop basically flipping with 2 overs and NFD and bricked every single time, or had someone call down 3 streets to river a runner runner 4 flush.